Twin Peaks (S1E08) -- "The Return - Part 8" -- 6/25/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks (S1E08) -- "The Return - Part 8" -- 6/25/17

Old 06-27-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E08) -- "The Return - Part 8" -- 6/25/17

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe TWIN PEAKS was better when it was Robert Engels and Harley Peyton running the show than it was Lynch and Frost. Kind of like Gene Coon being the real master behind the original Star Trek, as opposed to Gene Roddenberry.
Funny, this was actually the exact analogy a friend of mine and I were discussing after sitting through part 8.
Old 06-27-17, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What bothers me more than the episode itself (which, honestly, would have been more palpable in small doses over several episodes instead of all together) is that Showtime backed up the Brinks truck to get David on board. I kept wondering where all the production value was, since so many scenes are just characters sitting in rooms chatting. Now we know. There's probably more than one exec at Showtime who saw this episode and their head imploded.

I thought there might be a chance for a Season 4, but this week's episode was so alienating that there's no way they'll pay Lynch again to make another batch of these, and I don't think they can continue without his participation (nor, likely, would they want the public backlash to that).

Maybe TWIN PEAKS was better when it was Robert Engels and Harley Peyton running the show than it was Lynch and Frost. Kind of like Gene Coon being the real master behind the original Star Trek, as opposed to Gene Roddenberry.
I don't know about that. Most of the very odd scenes so far have been quite watchable. They did come in smaller doses, such as the black box, Good Coop making his way to Dougie Jones's body and all that sequence, etc. This weeks' episode was fine early on until that jump to 1945, the nuke sequence was really cool, probably too long and fucked-up for many viewers though. They probably should have stopped there and go back to normal show. However adding the 1956 stuff in there made it what, 4/5th of the show being really weird?

I enjoyed it but I certainly am aware that it's way too bizare and unorthodox for most viewers. Heck after hour 2 of this revivial it was clear to me that this wasn't gonna be a ratings hit.
Old 06-27-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Have loved "The Return" up until last night, but that was some pretentious BS right there.
David Lynch is a lot of things, but he has never struck me as particularly pretentious. I've always gotten the impression that he just does what he does. What others think be damned.

My biggest issue with this episode is that I'm not sure I like the mythology they're building. Laura as some sort of vessel of good created to do battle with Bob is not really a road I want to go down. My biggest issue with the series as a whole so far is that the characters are getting completely lost in all of this craziness.
Old 06-28-17, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
David Lynch is a lot of things, but he has never struck me as particularly pretentious. I've always gotten the impression that he just does what he does. What others think be damned.
Perhaps - it's hard to know what's inside a guy's head. At the very least, I think we can agree it was self-indulgent.
Old 06-28-17, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you. I agree completely. Love Lynch and Twin Peaks is my all time favorite series. Have loved "The Return" up until last night, but that was some pretentious BS right there. Of course, the Lynch defenders are out in force saying it's "high art." It's low art to me...as in Inland Empire low.
I loathed Inland Empire and thought this was brilliant. Inland Empire was aimless, pointless, ugly. This was a smaller part of a larger structure, meaningful, beautiful. I'm very glad Showtime had the balls to let Lynch go where his muse took him.
Old 06-28-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What an amazing episode.
Old 06-29-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A second viewing of this episode didn't change my opinion of it. I still find it awful beyond all measure. And I don't buy the whole "surrealist art" or "part of a larger work" angle either. This was pretentious drivel that seriously tanks the mythology of the series. It might've worked as a chapter in "The Secret History Of Twin Peaks" but as part of the television medium it was an astounding failure.

I wish I could see Moonves email to Nevins after that aired.
Old 06-29-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

← Watched it twice.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with David Lynch. But, I'm loving what he's doing here.

Old 06-29-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Love Lynch. Love Twin Peaks season one. Love Twin Peaks season two. Love Twin Peaks season three. Bring on the rest. All of you naysayers are wrong, wrong I say.
Old 06-30-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This is the first disappointing episode to me. I loved the beginning with bad Coop and the end with the Woodsmen, but everything in the middle, while interesting, was unnecessary. I want more progression of the story and I feel that block of avant garde scenes took up too much space.
Old 06-30-17, 10:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it when a work of art provokes a love it or hate it response. I'll take that any day over something everyone is lukewarm about.
Old 06-30-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I love it when a work of art provokes a love it or hate it response. I'll take that any day over something everyone is lukewarm about.
Absolutely. I probably go back and forth on a minute by minute basis on whether or not The Return is working for me. However, no matter how I'm feeling I know exactly where I'll be at 9:00 on Sunday night. I was legitimately upset when I realized they were taking a week off this week.
Old 06-30-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

We'll see how this episode is received once the whole series has played. But if, indeed, Laura was "manufactured" or "chosen" - that takes away (for me) the impact of the original series. Kind of like when we found out Peter Parker was "chosen" to be Spider-man in that horrible Andrew Garfield sequel.

This is why prequels never work. I hate having stuff explained (even in a vague, surrealistic way). Some things are better left to one's imagination. The origins of BOB and the Black Lodge are among them.
Old 06-30-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

But if, indeed, Laura was "manufactured" or "chosen" - that takes away (for me) the impact of the original series.
Agree, I feel like Lynch and Frost are passing over into George Lucas and the prequel trilogy territory.

Still, I'm voting a huge "yes" on this episode for being so surprising, beautiful, imaginative, and frightening.