Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fargo (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Somebody to Love" -- 6/21/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Somebody to Love" -- 6/21/17

Old 06-23-17, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Fargo (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Somebody to Love" -- 6/21/17

I am perfectly fine with the ambiguous ending. I think it works for the show. Killing Emmit 5 years later adds nothing and makes little sense though. Nikki dying makes sense. She pushed her luck.

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post

My season ratings: Season 1 (10/10) Season 2 (8/10) Season 3 (6/10)
For me, I'd reverse the scores of 1 and 2. I thought season 2 was pretty much a perfect season of television.

Yeah, I would say that season 2 is a definite 10, with season one being excellent.

I agree with the 6 for season 3.

I really hope that they can do season 4.
Old 06-23-17, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose I did enjoy Season 3 a bit more than the average on this board.

I'd go for

S1 - 9
S2 - 10
S3 - 7
Old 06-23-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

It took me a while to really get invested this season, but by the time the season finale rolled around, I was really looking forward to it. Count me as another one who felt a little underwhelmed.

I'm all right with Nikki dying, even though I squirmed when that meant Emmit miraculously escaped fire. I gutted it was a bit funny that the only reason Nikki wasn't able to kill Emmit was because she stopped to repeat what the guy at the bowling alley told her to say.

I'm surprised the kid gloves many of you have in regards to Emmit. He's no victim. This season all boils down to the greed of two brothers. Ray's greed led him to blackmailing that guy into trying to steal the stamp. Emmit's greed led him to borrow money from some really shady characters. Emmit basically invited Varga into their lives. No, he didn't intend for Varga to become so intermingled with his business, but what do you expect when you go to criminals for a loan?

I think Emmit ultimately deserved what he got, but five years later? That felt a little false. While I can believe that Nikki and Mr. Wrench formed enough of a bond that he would finish her job for her, it seemed weird that he'd wait five years to do so.

I usually can appreciate an ambiguous ending, but I didn't care much for it here. Maybe it's because the type of tales they've previously told were more complete stories and seemed to come full circle in some way. This just ended.

I still liked the season overall, but I agree that this was the weakest season so far, despite having some standout moments. I'd definitely watch another installment if it's brought back.
Old 06-23-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Like the IRS agent said, before Varga came along there was nothing particularly abnormal about Emmit and Sy's dealings. They were a successful and perfectly legitimate business. And Varga only came along when they tried to pay back the loan, with interest (a loan Sy arranged, not Emmit).

You can say Emmit did not treat his brother well through the years, but he did actually reach out to Ray twice during the series in order to make amends. One time failed due to Nikki's meddling, one ended in Ray's accidental death. He also turned himself in to the authorities and tried to confess to everything.

So to say that deserves a bullet to the back of the head? Seems a bit harsh.
Old 06-23-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Sy might have arranged the loan, but I'm sure it was given the blessing by Emmit. Do you think Emmit really thought it was a legitimate business loan? There's no way Sy takes a penny without permission.

So he felt guilty about the mess he created. He should! That doesn't eliminate all the issues and pain he caused. He was culpable in many deaths, even if they weren't directed by him. He turned his back on his best friend and was passive as Sy was poisoned. You can't convince me he didn't know that was coming.

Plus, he only turned himself over to the police after he had been tormented Tell Tale Heart style until he was so wracked with guilt and losing grip on his sanity. If Nikki hadn't been there to push him over the edge, I doubt that confession would have come. He did it because, once again, it seemed like the easy way out. That seems like a trend for Emmit.

Emmit was a true weasel. Actually, I take that back. I bet most weasels have more courage than Emmit - or at least are less passive. He stood by and let everyone do the dirty work, whether it be Sy or Varga, and reaped the benefits, careful for his hair to never get too messed up. Like I said, as a character in this tale, I think he got what was coming to him.
Old 06-23-17, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nikki is freaking hot. OK season, but her ass was the highlight. Loved the cast this year, too bad the story was so-so.
Old 06-24-17, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by spsimmons
Nikki is freaking hot. OK season, but her ass was the highlight. Loved the cast this year, too bad the story was so-so.
Season 1 = 10
Season 2 = 9
Season 3 = 7
Nikki's ass = 10
Old 06-25-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't mind her getting got, but it seems like the whole point of her getting out of the bowling alley in that sort of Jewish retribution to punish the wicked way never panned out.

So so season indeed, not for lack of trying, but yeah, Nikki's ass was the highlight along witht he Lebowski references
Old 06-25-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I didn't mind her getting got, but it seems like the whole point of her getting out of the bowling alley in that sort of Jewish retribution to punish the wicked way never panned out.
That's why she got killed. Varga was the wicked. She abandoned her plan to kill him, and went after Emmit instead
Old 06-25-17, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
...the only reason Nikki wasn't able to kill Emmit was because she stopped to repeat what the guy at the bowling alley told her to say.
I just watched this today. Didn't bowling alley guy say to use it in the face of pure evil or something to that effect, and that the words would come to her? Maybe The fact that she couldn't remember or stuttered through them meant that Emmit wasn't really evil. Killing Ray was an accident, but when she said that he watched him bleed to death (I don't know how she would know this), I kind of forgot about that, and it does make him a murderer. Emmit seems like an "I like to watch" kind of guy.
Old 06-29-17, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I finally finished this. I'd give Season 3 at 6 at the very best. I don't know why critics were praising Carrie Coon in this. Her character was boring and maybe just not written all that well.

It'll probably be a while before we see a Season 4, if it ever happens.

Hawley did something great with Seasons 1 and 2. We couldn't expect it to last forever.
Old 06-29-17, 07:24 AM

I found Carrie Coon's Gloria Burgle to be very likeble, just as much as Molly Solverson or Lou Solverson, but her character certainly wasn't as interesting.

I think that the two main difference between seasons 1&2 vs. 3 is the clarity in establishing characters.
Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty quick to identify the police officer and regular joe going through odd shit pretty quickly and making it very obvious, just as much as making the villain just as obvious while still super entertaining.

Season 3 did this too with the cop, but it wasn't so clear who the regular joe was and who the villain was. Ray was clearly a joe and our likely hero, then he and Nikki. It wasn't so clear if Emmit and Sy were villains, or what the hell was going on with Vargas. The season sort of had the clear joes in Ray and Nikki, then the not so nice joes that also get burned in Emmit and Sy, and Vargas the ultimate villain. It took a long time to establish this and was pretty confusing early on. Heck they had Emmit try to make amends with Ray twice, I expected them to patch things up and maybe have Nikki and or Sy turn bad or something.
Old 06-29-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
I found Carrie Coon's Gloria Burgle to be very likeble, just as much as Molly Solverson or Lou Solverson, but her character certainly wasn't as interesting.

I think that the two main difference between seasons 1&2 vs. 3 is the clarity in establishing characters.
Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty quick to identify the police officer and regular joe going through odd shit pretty quickly and making it very obvious, just as much as making the villain just as obvious while still super entertaining.
I think you make a lot of good points. Also, for me, some elements of the story, -The flashback to the SF writer and "The Wandering Jew" interludes, -were not woven into the story in a way that clicked for me. They were fine as individual episodes and some standout scenes, but when the story was wrapped up they felt more like distractions (much like the UFO stuff in a previous season, I suppose), and I wanted more of a purpose for them.
Old 06-29-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

My ratings for the seasons:

S1 - 9.5
S2 - 9.5
S3 - 6

S3 just took too long to get going, and then when it started going it seems to get derailed a few times along the way. There some great scenes and dialog, but overall it was uneven and all over the place.

Episode 3 (the California trip) was pretty much a waste of time. It was an interesting episode within itself, but really had very little to do with the season.
Old 06-29-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Eh, disappointing finale. Why would the deaf guy come back 5 years later to avenge Nikki? Seems like something that should have occurred not long after she died.
I assumed he took the money and fled the country, then laid low until the heat died off. It could be a few years until he felt it was safe to re-enter the country.

Originally Posted by Coral
Episode 3 (the California trip) was pretty much a waste of time. It was an interesting episode within itself, but really had very little to do with the season.
To me, I felt is was emblematic of how investigations can go in real-life, down these odd tangents that turn out to be dead ends. As the interview quoted earlier in the thread shows, Hawley wanted to vear away from the more linearly plotted stories that typical cop shows use. On those, they typically just build up clue after clue, and they all turn out pertinent to the case. Even when they steer down a tangent or investigate the wrong suspect, it often turns up info that points to the real culprit. But sometimes, tangents are just that, but they still need to be investigated to know for sure.
Old 06-29-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To me, I felt is was emblematic of how investigations can go in real-life, down these odd tangents that turn out to be dead ends. As the interview quoted earlier in the thread shows, Hawley wanted to vear away from the more linearly plotted stories that typical cop shows use. On those, they typically just build up clue after clue, and they all turn out pertinent to the case. Even when they steer down a tangent or investigate the wrong suspect, it often turns up info that points to the real culprit. But sometimes, tangents are just that, but they still need to be investigated to know for sure.
Right, and while I appreciate some realism - we didn't need a whole episode dedicated to the dead end. I know in real life people spend time eating and taking dumps - but I don't need a lot of time dedicated to characters doing those realistic things. 10 to 15 minutes on the dead end would've sufficed.
Old 06-29-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, and while I appreciate some realism - we didn't need a whole episode dedicated to the dead end. I know in real life people spend time eating and taking dumps - but I don't need a lot of time dedicated to characters doing those realistic things. 10 to 15 minutes on the dead end would've sufficed.
Well, I felt it was an interesting story in its own right. If it had just been boring, I would agree with you, but it was an entertaining dead end.
Old 06-29-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

If someone was going to sit down and watch the season I could in good conscience tell them to skip the LA episode entirely because the journey into what the dead guys books were all about was not worth the time it took to travel. It added nothing.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at the time, but in hindsight that plot thread/episode was a self indulgent time suck.
Old 06-30-17, 08:54 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

My ratings for the seasons:

S1 - 9.5
S2 - 9.5
S3 - 6

S3 just took too long to get going, and then when it started going it seems to get derailed a few times along the way. There some great scenes and dialog, but overall it was uneven and all over the place.
Agree 100%. Season's 1 and 2 straddled the 1 and 2 slots of my Top 10 lists the past 2 years. Season 3 probably won't make the list this year or will barely squeak in near the bottom.

The season was very uneven for me. There were maybe 2-3 very strong episodes (the Ray Wise episode was arguably my favorite), but the rest just didn't do much for me.

A big part of it was that I didn't particularly care for either of the Stussy brothers. The only characters I was interested in were Sy and Nikki. Gloria had her moments, but her character too, was quite uneven. This season is a good example of style over substance.
Old 07-05-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Who was the hitman that took out Emmit? It wasn't Mr. Wrench, was it? Who do you think sent him?
Old 07-05-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was Wrench and I assumed he sent himself.

For me: S1 - 10, S2 - 10, S3 - 5. S3 definitely had some high points, but the rest of it was pretty bad. The ending dropped it from a 6-7 to a 5.
Old 08-03-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I wouldn't say season 3 was bad but it was definitely a bit of a let down - I don't agree with people saying season 2 was a step below season 1 - 1 & 2 are even.

Here's hoping the next (although Hawley keeps saying "another fargo season may be far away") season is an improvement.
Old 08-03-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

If I were the network, I would ask for another season, but set in a different locale to make it fresh maybe like the Bayou or middle America where you could work tornados into the show, or some place really hot, some place with normal people, maybe a little odd dealing with circumstances far out of their normal realm of experience. Weather needs to be a plot driver the Fargo location is too limiting now.
Old 08-03-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
If I were the network, I would ask for another season, but set in a different locale to make it fresh maybe like the Bayou or middle America...
Well, then does it even need to be called Fargo?
Old 08-03-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts

I binged this recently and S3 was good, but definitely the weakest of the three.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.