DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Gypsy (Netflix) -- S: Naomi Watts, Billy Crudup -- premieres 6/30/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640500-gypsy-netflix-s-naomi-watts-billy-crudup-premieres-6-30-17-a.html)

dex14 06-20-17 10:19 AM

Gypsy (Netflix) -- S: Naomi Watts, Billy Crudup -- premieres 6/30/17

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....yMzIy._V1_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y67_16zSMwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Netflix released the official trailer for its newest summer series Gypsy, a ten part psychological thriller debuting June 30th worldwide. The series profiles Jean Halloway (Naomi Watts), a well-to-do Manhattan therapist with a seemingly picturesque life and bustling therapy practice. Over the course of 10 episodes, she begins to develop intimate and illicit relationships with the people closely connected to the patient's that walk through her door every day. As the borders of her professional life and personal fantasies become blurred, she descends into a world where the forces of desire and reality are disastrously at odds for her and those around her. In addition to Watts, Gypsy also stars Billy Crudup (Alien Covenant) as Jean's husband Michael Halloway, Sophie Cookson (Kingsman) as Sydney, Lucy Boynton (Murder on the Orient Express) as Jean's patient Allison, Poorna Jagannathan (The Night Of) as Jean's coworker, and Karl Glusman (Nocturnal Animals) as Jean's patient Sam.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Billy Crudup as Michael Halloway
· Brenda Vaccaro
· Brooke Bloom as Rebecca
· Karl Glusman as Sam
· Kimberly Quinn as Holly Faitelson
· Lucy Boynton as Allison
· Melanie Liburd
· Naomi Watts as Jean Holloway
· Poorna Jagannathan
· Sophie Cookson as Sydney

CREW INFORMATION:
· Lisa Rubin as CRTR/EP
· Liza Chasin as EP
· Naomi Watts as EP
· Sam Taylor-Johnson as DIR (Pilot)
· Sean Jablonski as EP
10 episode first season premieres Friday, June 30th.

Geofferson 06-20-17 04:07 PM

Re: Gypsy (Netflix) -- S: Naomi Watts, Billy Crudup -- premieres 6/30/17

I like both of the leads so will likely check this out eventually.

Why So Blu? 06-20-17 04:16 PM

I'm in.

dex14 06-30-17 07:11 AM

Up on Netflix today. Reviews haven't been that great, unfortunately. I will watch it eventually for Watts regardless. But very behind on Netflix shows.

actionjackson29 07-05-17 01:51 AM

I finished this today and I'm kind of having a hard time figuring out if I liked it or not. Just about all the characters other than the husband and daughter are crappy people. The way Jean screws with peoples lives while having the responsibility of giving them treatment is abhorrent. I guess a second season would deal with all her lies come crashing down on her.

mcnabb 07-05-17 05:19 AM

I watched the first episode and thought it wasn't bad. Then again I'm a big Naomi Watts fan.

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 (Post 13108250)
I guess a second season would deal with all her lies come crashing down on her.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this was self contained mini series?

uteotw 07-05-17 10:00 AM

I'm loving this so far. Naomi Watts is amazing, as usual.

TomOpus 07-05-17 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 (Post 13108250)
I finished this today and I'm kind of having a hard time figuring out if I liked it or not. Just about all the characters other than the husband and daughter are crappy people. The way Jean screws with peoples lives while having the responsibility of giving them treatment is abhorrent. I guess a second season would deal with all her lies come crashing down on her.

Must've liked it to watch the entire season.

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 13108377)
I'm loving this so far. Naomi Watts is amazing, as usual.

Bewbs are still nice too :D

Why So Blu? 07-06-17 01:48 AM

I'm halfway through and I love and hate Naomi Watt's character. It's one of the few things keeping me interested until the end -- she's fantastic and Billy Crudup is pretty good, too.

spainlinx0 07-06-17 08:39 AM

I'm having trouble getting through the first episode. Not sure if I'm going to check out the whole thing. This is making me want to go back and watch "In Treatment" on HBO again.

dex14 07-10-17 07:35 AM

I watched this over two days. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I don't think I would've continued this if Watts wasn't on it.

mcnabb 07-10-17 07:44 AM

I'm about halfway through the season, and I like it. I don't love it, but it's a nice time-filler Netflix show in the summer when very few shows are currently on. I enjoy character driven shows so I don't think this is for everyone, but I enjoy seeing her live this double life.

dex14 07-10-17 07:55 AM

I mean, I can't fully complain about a show where Naomi gets it on with another a chick.

Throwing Copper 07-10-17 07:05 PM

Reviews aren't so good. But, like others, I'm in for anything Naomi Watts is in.

mcnabb 07-11-17 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13110783)
I mean, I can't fully complain about a show where Naomi gets it on with another a chick.

Episode 7 reminded me of that old Showtime late night 'erotic drama' called Red Shoes Diaries from the 90's. :D

uteotw 07-11-17 03:06 PM

I have two eps left, and the tension is really ratcheting up. For anyone on the fence, I'd say stick with it.

mcnabb 07-14-17 07:04 PM

Overall, I enjoyed the 10 episodes but it was just missing something to make it great. I can't put my finger on what was missing that could have made it a great show?

dex14 07-18-17 08:25 AM

The entire time I was watching this, I kept wondering if Crudup and Watts were banging in real life and maybe that had something to do with Watts and Schreiber splitting.

I don't know if had anything to do with the split, but Crudup and Watts are banging: http://people.com/celebrity/naomi-wa...-billy-crudup/

mcnabb 07-18-17 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13115587)
The entire time I was watching this, I kept wondering if Crudup and Watts were banging in real life and maybe that had something to do with Watts and Schreiber splitting.

I don't know if had anything to do with the split, but Crudup and Watts are banging: http://people.com/celebrity/naomi-wa...-billy-crudup/

From what I have read in the tabloids (take it with a grain of salt) Schreiber was banging the Nanny and that eventually led to their split. That seems to be the trend in Hollywood Marriages (Arnold, Ben Affleck, Ethan Hawke etc).

dex14 07-18-17 08:45 AM

Damn... that blows my mind. I am so attracted to her.

dex14 08-11-17 11:34 AM

Canceled: http://deadline.com/2017/08/gypsy-ca...on-1202146744/

starseed1981 08-11-17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13132348)

That's understandable. But I would still think that Netflix would want to be in the Naomi Watts business.

dex14 08-11-17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13132389)
That's understandable. But I would still think that Netflix would want to be in the Naomi Watts business.

I'd like to be in her business too.

starseed1981 08-11-17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13132396)
I'd like to be in her business too.

+1. You win the internet for the day. Go start happy hour now.

RichC2 08-11-17 01:05 PM

Move her to Ozark because why not.