Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 01:45 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Monday August 6th for those of you that dont like videos. Really like this show and cant wait to see what this season brings.
Or don't like reading 10 posts up.
Old 07-09-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Or don't like reading 10 posts up.
Millennials...sheesh!
Old 07-17-18, 02:25 PM

Better Call Saul — AMC’s Breaking Bad prequel centered on the transformation of Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman — has been known to toy with time over its first three seasons. We’ve seen flashbacks to when Jimmy was younger man or even a child, as well as a peek beyond the Breaking Bad years, when he entered an underground form of witness protection and became Gene, a beaten-down manager at a Cinnabon in Omaha.

But now Better Call Saul, which began its story in the year 2002, will venture somewhere it never has before — and somewhere that surely will intrigue/delight fans: into the Breaking Bad era, which was set from 2008 to 2010.

“We have a subplot that very squarely gets into Breaking Bad territory and brings us into the world — or at least points us on a path toward the world of Walter White and the territory of Walter White,” co-creator Vince Gilligan tells EW. “I can’t wait for folks to see that.”

Gilligan & Co. are mum on details, indicating only that the scenes in question involve Saul (Bob Odenkirk); they’re not saying which, if any, other Breaking Bad characters you will see. This is certainly enticing news, though, as it opens up the possibility of seeing the set-up or repercussion of key scenes from Breaking Bad. It also opens up the possibility of seeing more familiar faces who might not have worked as organically in a cameo given the existing flashback or flash-forward scenarios.

Watch the full episode of Entertainment Weekly Cast Reunions: Breaking Bad, streaming now on PeopleTV.com or download the PeopleTV app on your favorite device.

Don’t hold your breath for a Walt (Bryan Cranston) sighting just yet, though. During an interview for Breaking Bad‘s 10th anniversary reunion in the pages of EW, Cranston and costar Aaron Paul said that they were open to reprising their characters in Better Call Saul, but it sounded like nothing had been filmed yet. While Cranston introduced the idea of a fun cameo or brush-by, Gilligan says he “desperately” wants to figure out a way to include them, and that he will push for something more significant. “[I]t wouldn’t feel as satisfying if it was just a cameo or an Alfred Hitchcock walkthrough,” he noted. “I think we’ve waited long enough. We damn well better have a good reason for them to show up.”

The news comes as the universes of the two shows seem to be on a collision course. “I picture two giant circles moving together, converging into an ever-largening Venn diagram, and that Venn diagram represents the overlap between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul,” Gilligan says. “That area of overlap is getting larger and larger.”

Co-creator Peter Gould tells EW, “We’re still a few years out from Walter White, but you’ll see some things that will definitely ring a bell and also show some different aspects to things that we saw in Breaking Bad.”

Season 4 of Better Call Saul recently wrapped production, and the first episode will air Aug. 6.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/17/better-c...tainmentweekly
Old 07-19-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Comic Con trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qA5J7l2ovKM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-19-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2018/07/bryan-c...on-1202429878/

No cameos from Paul or Cranston in season 4 according to Vince Gilligan.

But he doesn't rule out they could appear before Saul is over as a series.
Old 07-28-18, 05:39 PM

No waiting around wondering this time... Renewed for Season 5:

https://tvline.com/2018/07/28/better...-season-5-amc/
Old 07-28-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm willing to bet that season 5 will be the final season and Vince pitched it as such to get it greenlit so early. That way he and his writers can start mapping it out early.
Old 07-28-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

But he doesn't rule out they could appear before Saul is over as a series.
I know it would be super predictable, but the only way the show should end is with the 1st time Jessie brings Walt into the office. They walk in the office, close the door, cut to black.
Old 07-28-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
I know it would be super predictable, but the only way the show should end is with the 1st time Jessie brings Walt into the office. They walk in the office, close the door, cut to black.
No, that would be lame. Then what do you do about the present day timeline with Jimmy working at the Cinnebon?
Old 07-28-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Weird how this show, in some ways, might be ending soon if season 5 is the last season. I'd be okay with it, as much as I love the show.

I'm curious what people think...and I don't know if this is really a spoiler but I'll spoiler tag it...
Spoiler:
about Chuck being confirmed as dead? I suppose it can certainly make sense by the way the last season ended, but (and maybe because I'm used to TV shows conveniently finding ways to keep characters alive) I assumed he'd somehow live since he's a pretty big component to this show.

Anyway, what do you all think will be the ultimate fate of Kim? Do you think she's alive in the Breaking Bad timeline? Dead? Estranged from Saul?

And maybe I need to re-watch Breaking Bad again to remind myself of the Saul character, but I'm wondering if it's also possible that Saul's persona was just a work persona--many people wear masks and hide their true selves at work--and that when he went home (which I don't recall we ever saw), he took off the Saul "mask" and is simply Jimmy (or, whatever remains of Jimmy's persona given everything he's experienced) in the Breaking Bad timeline.
Old 07-29-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
W

Anyway, what do you all think will be the ultimate fate of Kim? Do you think she's alive in the Breaking Bad timeline? Dead? Estranged from Saul?

There was a theory she winds up being Wendy, though Seehorn's comments suggest she moves away or something.
Old 07-29-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
There was a theory she winds up being Wendy, though Seehorn's comments suggest she moves away or something.
Even disregarding Seehorn's comments, there is less than a 0.0% chance of that happening.
Old 07-30-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Man, that would be a DARK twist! But yeah, no way that happens.
Old 08-02-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm re-watching season 3 getting ready for season 4. Seeing the episodes closely together like this is just affirming what an outstanding piece of television this show is.

Also, while it is easy to see how great Odenkirk is, what is really is jumping off the screen on second viewing is what a tremendous job Rhea Seehorn is doing. She is flat out amazing in this. It's not like I didn't know she was good, but since it is a second viewing I am paying more attention to things away from the central story and she just nails everything she does. She is incredibly believable and emotive while still remaining very restrained within the context of her character's personality. She is able to convey so much without hardly moving a facial muscle. Just a brilliant job of underacting.
Old 08-02-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Weird how this show, in some ways, might be ending soon if season 5 is the last season. I'd be okay with it, as much as I love the show.

I'm curious what people think...and I don't know if this is really a spoiler but I'll spoiler tag it...
Spoiler:
about Chuck being confirmed as dead? I suppose it can certainly make sense by the way the last season ended, but (and maybe because I'm used to TV shows conveniently finding ways to keep characters alive) I assumed he'd somehow live since he's a pretty big component to this show.

And maybe I need to re-watch Breaking Bad again to remind myself of the Saul character, but I'm wondering if it's also possible that Saul's persona was just a work persona--many people wear masks and hide their true selves at work--and that when he went home (which I don't recall we ever saw), he took off the Saul "mask" and is simply Jimmy (or, whatever remains of Jimmy's persona given everything he's experienced) in the Breaking Bad timeline.
1. I think Kim either leaves Jimmy for HHM, which is why she is never seen during BB, or she goes back to that small town she originally left. Quite possible her reputation as a lawyer in Albuquerque is destroyed by the end of BCS.

2. Point number two has been brought up on various fan boards before. We can see Jimmy dealing with his own issues balancing his two personas when Walt or Jesse keep barging their problems on him.
Old 08-05-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Walter and Saul can both be slimey, and I think Walt got what he deserved at the end of BB, but I'm hoping for some kind of redemption for Jimmy at the end of BCS. I know Jimmy always reaps what he sows, but I often feel his intentions are good and I feel really bad for him most of the time.
Old 08-05-18, 01:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

just finishing the last few eps. again. almost done. forgot so much. Charles leaving the firm was sad and Patrick Fabian who plays Howard is the perfect dick...
Old 08-06-18, 02:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

'Better Call Saul' might not yet have reached the absolute highs of 'Breaking Bad', but it wasn't had the lows either. Quite remarkable really.
Old 08-08-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Been awhile, who was Wendy?
Old 08-08-18, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Wendy
Old 08-08-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Old 08-08-18, 06:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
'Better Call Saul' might not yet have reached the absolute highs of 'Breaking Bad', but it wasn't had the lows either. Quite remarkable really.
Which "lows" are you referring to?

The reaction Jimmy/Saul had at the end of the episode when Howard said he thought he pushed Chuck to suicide really didn't make much sense to me. Since the start of this series, it's obvious Jimmy genuinely cared for Chuck. Jimmy's sad throughout the episode until Howard mentioned how he thought it was his fault Chuck killed himself then Jimmy's attitude changes & he's no longer upset. What were the writer's trying to make the viewer think here? Jimmy was only affected by the thought of him being at fault for Chuck & not by his actual death?
Old 08-09-18, 04:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I think the show had some slumps and filler in both season 2 and particularly season 3. I was also a bit let down by the final season as a whole and especially the last episode (while still acknowledging that 'Ozymandias' is probably the greatest episode of TV ever).
Old 08-09-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276

The reaction Jimmy/Saul had at the end of the episode when Howard said he thought he pushed Chuck to suicide really didn't make much sense to me. Since the start of this series, it's obvious Jimmy genuinely cared for Chuck. Jimmy's sad throughout the episode until Howard mentioned how he thought it was his fault Chuck killed himself then Jimmy's attitude changes & he's no longer upset. What were the writer's trying to make the viewer think here? Jimmy was only affected by the thought of him being at fault for Chuck & not by his actual death?
Odenkirk's take is that Jimmy has started "compartmentalizing" his feelings, and it began for him when Chuck said that Jimmy was nothing to him.

Last edited by DWilson; 08-09-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 12:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Odenkirk's take is that Jimmy has started "compartmentalizing" his feelings, and it began for him when Chuck said that Jimmy was nothing to him.
Where did he say this?
When actors reason over their characters actions it really doesn't mean anything. Only way to get true answers is from the writers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.