Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pawn Stars on History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pawn Stars on History Channel

Anyone watch this tonight? Man these people couldn't be more unlikable! I can't imagine I'll ever watch these three losers ever again!
Old 07-20-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Pawn Stars on History Channel

I watched 5 minutes of this.

Fucking. Retarded.

I tuned out for good when some nutjob tried to pawn a medicinal stuffed beaver head, or something like that.
Old 07-20-09, 02:50 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew from the commercial these people would be annoying as hell. I'm pissed they took off Expedition Africa for this crap.
Old 07-20-09, 04:05 PM

When I saw it in the Tivo guide I thought it read 'Prawn Stars'...so its not about Pepe? Glad I didn't bother.
Old 07-20-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched it and it was pretty dumb. Remember back when the History Channel had shows about History and TLC (or as it was at the time The Learning Channel) had actual documentaries? I long for those days...
Old 07-21-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Does History Channel show anything about history (besides JFK conspiracies) anymore?
Old 07-21-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Does History Channel show anything about history (besides JFK conspiracies) anymore?
They still have Modern Marvels which sometimes has history, they had some stuff about the Moon landing last night, and I know during the day they usually have History related content but prime time is pretty devoid of it. It's all Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men, Pawn Stars, and crap like that.
Old 07-21-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am fucking hating 'the history' channel. Im a history major so it makes me sick now. Im guessing theres no more cities of the underworld (which was getting stupid last season anyway), digging for the truth was the best and is now gone, and all they did was bump and NOT air Patton 360. I dont mind the Ice Road truckers as theyre on the Dalton highway and I drove that sucker while living in Alaska (all the way to Prudhoe Bay), but I dont watch it religiously.

Yea I caught the intro to this show. I thought why not as I had to see something while having a margarita. Absolute shit!

I sent them a very nasty hate mail
Old 07-21-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My dad is 74 and doesn't look anywhere as old as that miserable old f***! And seriouisly, the middle age guy walks around like he's some sort of bad ass! He works at a pawn shop! He's not a MMA stud or something! And seriously the son is yet another fat bastard with a 'tude! Guy, you look like a freaking toad! Get over yourself!

I'm not going to sit here and tell you I haven't watched any of those "extreme" work shows like Deadliest Catch or Ice Road Truckers, but seriously this is was the boringest shit ever. If I want to learn about old and unusual stuff I'll watch Antiques Roadshow or History Detectives on PBS.
Old 07-21-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I must admit - I did watch most of the 1st season of IR Truckers. It got pretty repetitive though.
Old 07-21-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the real answer is that reality tv is much cheaper to produce, and unfortunatley still draws crowds. Until that changes, which I see as unlikley since there are many morons in our country that are all too easy to entertain, I see reality tv being the norm for many channels instead of real tv.
Old 07-21-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by andy434343
I think the real answer is that reality tv is much cheaper to produce, and unfortunatley still draws crowds. Until that changes, which I see as unlikley since there are many morons in our country that are all too easy to entertain, I see reality tv being the norm for many channels instead of real tv.
I understand that reality tv is cheaper than scripted comedies/dramas, but I doubt it is that much cheaper than documentaries and the typical fare that History Channel used to be known for. Plus there is likely tens of thousands of hours of stuff that History Channel has in their 'vault' that wouldn't cost them a dime.
Old 07-23-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well then how about the time/effort/talent level that goes into making a reality tv show compared to making a good documentary?
Old 07-23-09, 04:03 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ice Road Truckers is worth watching this season for Lisa Kelly what a cutie.
Old 07-23-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
Ice Road Truckers is worth watching this season for Lisa Kelly what a cutie.
She's the reason I started watching.

Yeah, I miss the "real" History Channel. I did enjoy the various Lincoln specials they had back in February around his bicentennial.
Old 07-23-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot what show it aws, but the other day I was flipping channels and came upon something on History with these buff burly men who were installing these gigantic wooden poles in to the frozen ground somewhere. I mean that was the show.. I don't know why they thought it would make good TV but I had to turn it.
Old 07-06-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

What happened to the girl from season 1?

Also if you liked or even if you didn't like this show I highly recommend America Pickers.
Old 07-06-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got hooked on the show out of boredom a few months back. It's actually pretty entertaining. They have a lot of neat, actual historical stuff come through and I love seeing the expression on peoples faces when they plan on hitting the jackpot only to find out an item is fake.

@SterlingBen: That girl Peaches was only in one episode. They never focused on her. She hasn't been mentioned since, maybe she quit.
Old 07-06-10, 02:27 AM

obligatory

Old 07-06-10, 08:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Put me into the Pawn Stars fan category. When my dad told me about it last year I instantly discounted it. Then I watched it, saw that these guys knew their stuff, and loved the fact that they were into history just like I am. It's cool to see all the crazy stuff that walks in the door and how excited the guys (especially Rick) get over things that should have been long forgotten. I mean, last night's episode had a dude bringing in a Remington Revolver that was given to a general in Roosevelt's RoughRider army. Sean, Rick's gun buddy expert, was almost shaking because it was so rare. Neat stuff.

Most stuff can wait, but Pawn Stars (for whatever reason) is one of the only shows I watched the second that it's on.

And Chumlee is amazing...

Last edited by david12; 07-06-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-06-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want actual history, try History Channel International and History Military Channel.
Old 07-06-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its funny that I clicked on this thread because it was recently bumped, and it is a show that I must say has become a guilty pleasure. Low and behold, I am reading through all the old posts, and there I am posting in this thread last year, speaking about morons who enjoy bad tv. I admit there is a lot of stuff that I can do without on the show, such as the scenes which are obviously scripted for comedic gain. I do like seeing all the stuff that is brought in and the experts information regarding the item.
Old 07-06-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I enjoy it. To me, it's impressive to see people with a vast knowledge of history so they know what comes in their store.
Old 07-06-10, 09:45 AM
Banned

I watch it sometimes for what's brought in the store but yea the guys act like they rule the world and all they do is run a pawn shop
Old 07-06-10, 10:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Anyone catch "American Pickers"? Two absolute losers drive around going thru peoples shit looking for antiques. They are about the two dorkiest dudes I've ever seen on television...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.