Better Call Saul (S3E09) -- "Fall" -- 6/12/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E09) -- "Fall" -- 6/12/17

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
One line of dialogue was very interesting to me. Lydia mentioning that Gus was so much more than a drug dealer. Hmm.
Back in Breaking Bad I wondered if he might have ties to Pinochet. Salamanca referring to Gus as "The Chilean" in this episode has me thinking that again.
Old 06-13-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Back in Breaking Bad I wondered if he might have ties to Pinochet. Salamanca referring to Gus as "The Chilean" in this episode has me thinking that again.
I was wondering the same thing, that he might have been on of the Chicago Boys.
Old 06-14-17, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yeah, there was also mention of Gus having ties to someone big. Can't remember if it was BCS or BB.
Old 06-15-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Jimmy is two fold in getting that settlement, to fuck the firm for holding out for pennies while they can cash in on a bigger part of that pie and to close that file knowing he has some money issues and it would still greatly benefit the seniors. That jump cut was awesome. It's the reason why Kim wanted to concentrate just on Mesa Verde, but Jimmy's suspension and his finances may have forced her jump on that offer.
Old 06-15-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Howard's accusation that Jimmy is only interested in his money rang a little hollow. Not only would HHM get millions more by holding out, but Jimmy's cut is 20% of those millions. So it would be far more lucrative for Jimmy to wait as well, despite his short term money issues.
Old 06-16-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Jimmy is two fold in getting that settlement, to fuck the firm for holding out for pennies while they can cash in on a bigger part of that pie and to close that file knowing he has some money issues and it would still greatly benefit the seniors. That jump cut was awesome. It's the reason why Kim wanted to concentrate just on Mesa Verde, but Jimmy's suspension and his finances may have forced her jump on that offer.
The other issue with the settlement is that these are very senior Seniors and none of them have much time to wait or gamble on something bigger down the road.
Old 06-16-17, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irene was made aware that she could settle or wait for a bigger payout. You have to disclose these things to your client. Lets not also forget that the other seniors involved were ok with Irene being in charge of it and didn't mind until Jimmy put those seeds in their heads.

He also purposefully orchestrated a plan to pit Irene's friends against her. A sweet old woman who hadn't done anything wrong and lives in an assisted living facility where your friends are very important at that age. He used her like a pawn and didn't care if the ends justified the means. He's a piece of garbage and deserves everything coming his way.
Old 06-16-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
Irene was made aware that she could settle or wait for a bigger payout. You have to disclose these things to your client. Lets not also forget that the other seniors involved were ok with Irene being in charge of it and didn't mind until Jimmy put those seeds in their heads.

He also purposefully orchestrated a plan to pit Irene's friends against her. A sweet old woman who hadn't done anything wrong and lives in an assisted living facility where your friends are very important at that age. He used her like a pawn and didn't care if the ends justified the means. He's a piece of garbage and deserves everything coming his way.
My wife works in a nursing home and she was super pissed watching what Jimmy did.
Old 06-16-17, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
My wife works in a nursing home and she was super pissed watching what Jimmy did.
Yeah, I did some community work in high school and college at some of these facilities and it really made my blood boil seeing that. My grandmother is one of the people I look up to most and If I had any idea someone pulled this shit on her, it wouldn't be pretty.
Old 06-16-17, 08:54 AM

So what happened with Hector's pills? Did Nacho switch them back since nothing happened and he talked to his dad? I somehow missed why nothing happened to Hector.
Old 06-16-17, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Haynes
So what happened with Hector's pills? Did Nacho switch them back since nothing happened and he talked to his dad? I somehow missed why nothing happened to Hector.
The reasoning I've come to is that Hector already has a condition. The correct pills he was taking was to help with his condition. Nacho switched his correct pills with Placebo's. So Basically Hector will take these pills that do nothing and will just kill him slowly so that it won't look suspicious that Nacho had anything to do with it. That's what I assumed anyways.
Old 06-16-17, 09:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, the new pills just have Ibuprofen in them.
Old 06-16-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I thought they made it pretty clear that the Hector takes the pills when there is an immediate need.

I.e. when he's having some sort of attack.

Yes, he has a condition, but that condition seems to require that he takes his pill(s) as soon as it the attack starts.

Perhaps this particular attack wasn't that bad and there was some amount of placebo effect which calmed him and allowed it to pass?
Old 06-16-17, 10:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I took the Hector/Nacho scene simply as one that lets us know the process is in motion. Didn't expect it to happen right away.

The foreshadowing scene with Kim in the oil fields was well done - as was the jump cut crash in the final scene. This season flew by.
Old 06-16-17, 10:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For a million dollars I would have destroyed that old lady's life too.

Yes, I'm aware I'm an a--hole.
Old 06-16-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well we certainly learned a lot about the future here. We now know why Jimmy gets banned from elder law, and it is unlikely he ever sees a cent.

Anyone notice Kim drove past Los Pollos Hermanos?
when was that said, that he is not allowed to practice elder law, yeah that was very shitty what he did to the old lady.

I still dislike Chuck though
Old 06-16-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
The foreshadowing scene with Kim in the oil fields was well done - as was the jump cut crash in the final scene. This season flew by.
Even bigger foreshadowing was allowing herself to take micronaps behind the wheel of her car. Probably not a good habit to get into.
Old 06-16-17, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
when was that said, that he is not allowed to practice elder law, yeah that was very shitty what he did to the old lady.

I still dislike Chuck though
You should, he is not free from fault one bit. Both of them are at a point where there is no coming back. They both have major flaws that they can't get rid of.
Old 06-16-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

You should, he is not free from fault one bit. Both of them are at a point where there is no coming back. They both have major flaws that they can't get rid of.
That was a running theme in Breaking Bad, too.

I remember watching BB and thinking "If you would just quit while you're ahead..."
Old 06-16-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
For a million dollars I would have destroyed that old lady's life too.

Yes, I'm aware I'm an a--hole.
I probably would too.

However, I don't think her life is destroyed... it's totally fixable. All Jimmy has to do once the papers are signed is explain to the ladies that Irene had no idea the others wanted to settle and needed the money... and that Irene thought she was doing what was best for everyone when she took HHM's advice. Yes, it's a shitty thing for Jimmy to do - but it really only caused her some grief for a week or two.
Old 06-16-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Keep in mind, those lawyers could be manipulating the seniors to the company's benefit as well. That doesn't excuse Jimmy, though.
Old 06-17-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Great episode, great scenes.

I've just finished binge watching Breaking Bad for the third time and the two shows have some interesting contrasts. I was surprised how BB was pretty much life-and-death decisions almost every episode. There's a constant feeling that one of the main characters is in dire straits. BCS on the other hand is more about the life-and-death of Jimmy, Kim and Chuck's careers. We have some scary moments with Mike and the drug dealers, but for the most part, the show isn't quite as "heavy" as BB.

Also interesting to see Saul in BB compared to BCS. In BB he's not only completely ruthless and slimy, but he's also almost always quipping and being sleezy. In BCS, he's much more "human." This may be partially because they needed to flesh out his character to build a whole show around him, but I'm interested to see if he becomes more and more of a caricature in BCS as the seasons go on.
Old 06-17-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Also interesting to see Saul in BB compared to BCS. In BB he's not only completely ruthless and slimy, but he's also almost always quipping and being sleezy. In BCS, he's much more "human." This may be partially because they needed to flesh out his character to build a whole show around him, but I'm interested to see if he becomes more and more of a caricature in BCS as the seasons go on.
I can't recall from BB but when Saul was being Saul it was primarily in his capacity as a lawyer wasn't it? He may be much more like the BB Saul when he is switched on professionally, meaning we didn't see a whole lot of his off time/personal life did we? At least not until towards the end once things had spiraled out of control?
Old 06-18-17, 04:53 AM

I don't think 'Saul' was meant to have a personal life. Hence the pretense of BCS. He is a lonely guy and now we are seeing why.

Kim was his love, but we know that doesn't go well. Reason? This is why we are watching right?
Old 06-19-17, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
I don't think 'Saul' was meant to have a personal life. Hence the pretense of BCS. He is a lonely guy and now we are seeing why.

Kim was his love, but we know that doesn't go well. Reason? This is why we are watching right?
I actually think there is a huge fake out coming with Kim. We all EXPECT some terrible end for Kim and their relationship but I suspect they have something more clever in store for us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.