Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 14 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/12/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 14 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/12/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 07:04 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

**SEASON PREMIERE**--"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" - (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

AMERICA'S BEST DANCERS FIGHT FOR THEIR CHANCE AT STARDOM ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON PREMIERE OF "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" MONDAY, JUNE 12, ON FOX

On the 14th season of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, highly skilled dancers between the ages of 18-30 will showcase their talents in various dance styles, including contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation, breaking and more. Beginning tonight, at the first of the audition rounds, the most talented dancers will compete in front of the judges for a coveted spot at "The Academy" callback rounds in Los Angeles. At the end of "The Academy" callback rounds, each of this season's 10 All-Stars will choose one dancer to move on to the SYTYCD stage and become part of this season's Top 10. The Top 10 dancers will be paired up with All-Stars who will guide them throughout the competition as they vie for America's votes and the title of America's Favorite Dancer. See which dancers have what it takes on the all-new "Los Angeles Auditions #1" season premiere episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airing Monday, June 12 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (DAN-1401) (TV-14 D, L)

Host: Cat Deeley

Judges: Nigel Lythgoe; Mary Murphy

Guest Judge: Vanessa Hudgens
Old 06-12-17, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 14 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/12

After two seasons of screwing around and diluting the formula chasing ratings unsuccessfully, this brings the show back closer to it's roots (either you like the format of the show or you don't). Judge Mary Murphy returns after being exiled for two seasons in favor of Paula Abdul.

Apparently, they put this show together so quickly, -or they just didn't want to spend the money (just as likely) that they only did "live" auditions in New York and LA, though potential contestants could also upload and submit their auditions. Obviously, they're only doing an hour a week until the "Live" shows (which is a step down from their heyday).

Vanessa Hudgens is now the permanent third judge (though I'm sure they'll have other guests).

Last edited by DWilson; 06-12-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 14 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/12

I dropped this show last season. I just couldn't do the juniors edition. I'm still undecided if I'll come back.
Old 06-12-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I dropped this show last season. I just couldn't do the juniors edition. I'm still undecided if I'll come back.
Me too. The Junior's edition was a huge mistake. It lost the show's momentum for me, and now I just don't think I care anymore. I doubt I'll watch this season.
Old 06-12-17, 06:11 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

I skipped last year but will be watching this year.
Old 07-25-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

While I'm glad to have it back, it's been a frustrating season. We get the usual four weeks of auditions, but now "Hell Week" has turned into three weeks of a "Voice"-like set-up of 10 All-Star "mentors" choosing teams of four and then just as quickly cutting them down to the one person they'll work with in the Live shows.

The 2-hour Live shows will start in August (running up against "Bachelor in Paradise") and I suppose we'll only get 5 or six of those this year. I imagine this is all dictated by Fox and Nigel Lythgoe is happy to work with whatever he can get.

There's no shortage of talent, but the show's in it's sixth week and it's been hard to form an attachment to any of the contestants because of the circumstances.