Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Orange is the New Black (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orange is the New Black (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/9/

Originally Posted by Coral

I honestly didn't have a lot of sympathy for the prisoners. With the exception of a couple of guards and what they did - the women were there because they're criminals. They shouldn't feel entitled to most of their demands.
Thanks for letting us know you're a terrible human being who doesn't understand basic human dignity and how fucked up the prison industrial complex is especially for the poor and minorities.
Old 07-13-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/9/

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Thanks for letting us know you're a terrible human being who doesn't understand basic human dignity and how fucked up the prison industrial complex is especially for the poor and minorities.
"most of their demands".

Way to disregard that part and think it applies to everything.

Plus the way many (not all) of these inmates act during the riot and even in seasons past to each other shows some hypocrisy with regards to demanding human dignity.
Old 07-14-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Didn't even season finale end with a cliffhanger? Not sure why anyone's surprised at that happening again.

I enjoyed the season, but didn't expect the riot to take it up entirely.

Didn't like how they treated some of the situations with the captive guards. They were essentially sexually assaulted. Seems hypocritical that they passed it off as comedic just because it happened to men.

I honestly didn't have a lot of sympathy for the prisoners. With the exception of a couple of guards and what they did - the women were there because they're criminals. They shouldn't feel entitled to most of their demands.
I'll back you Coral. I may not go quite as far as you in my feelings, but I agree with you in principle. That is one of the challenges of shows like this and Breaking Bad ... we are (supposed to be) rooting for "bad" guys as our protagonists. I enjoy OItNB immensely and have my favorite characters, but there I times I have to step back.

As far as the hypocrisy, welcome to the world. We have reached the sad point where atrocities are judged based on the physical attributes of the victim, not on the actual act itself. If you have the "wrong" victim then it is OK. We falsely believe racism can only be perpetrated by whites and sexual assaults can only be committed by men (and female teachers).
Old 07-14-17, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm somewhere in the middle of this season. It's ok, but I was expecting more after the previous ones. For me this series was getting better season by season. And now it's just meh... But I still have high hopes and I really count on them to deliver by the end
Old 07-14-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I feel like I've been watching this season forever, and I still have five episodes to go.

A large part of what's wearing me down is I'm overwhelmed by the number of characters. Making things worse, I can't remember who half these people are beyond their superficial appearances. Some of them had flashbacks that firmly established who they are and why they ended up in Litchfield, but I can barely remember any of that all these years later.
Old 07-19-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the show but found this season pointless. They expanded a two episode story arc into an entire season. I had no problems with how it ended since that was about the only way to wrap up a set up like this.
Old 07-19-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I still enjoy this show and wasn't bored at all this season, but the sum of it all wasn't as satisfying as past seasons have been. There are so many characters to give screen time to, and with such a shortened timeline, each episode just felt like quick check-ins with each character to see what they were up to. Nothing particularly revelatory happened to any of them. Sure, Red got scalped, and as shocking as it was, it was seemingly quickly covered-up (literally) and the perpetrator met a laughable (and convenient) end. In my mind, only Taystee was really given enough material to shine with this season.

Honestly, what this season really lacked that other seasons had was 1) a really strong villain (Piscatella was mostly bark with only a little bite at the end), 2) prisoners having to negotiate prison hierarchy (there was more tension in season one with Piper insulting Red's food than there was this season with a bunch of prisoners getting tied up), and 3) some grounding in reality. This show becomes more cartoonish the longer it goes on.

Still, like I said, it remains highly entertaining.

Edited to add: I can watch Laura Prepon all the day long.
Old 07-19-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did laugh that apparently all the cops are just hanging around the front door of the prison and not surrounding the whole thing. All those prisoners were just hanging out in the back yard not wanting to be a part of the riot. The cops could have easily gotten them out and had that many fewer 'rioters' to deal with. Also, the prisoners could have gotten out and done a mass escape.
Old 06-05-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Old 07-09-18, 09:40 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="600" height="338" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MtW-WNfM3r8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-09-18, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Lolly is back!
Old 07-09-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Can't wait.
Old 07-11-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I just watched season 5. I'm always a year behind, since I'm old school and don't do Netflix streaming. I have to get red envelopes, and the Blu Rays are released about a year after airing. I might finally spring for the streaming though, as I want to see season 6 ASAP, and I'm interested in GLOW, which doesn't look to be available on any discs yet.

Anyway, I thought this was great. It was a stroke of genius to have the entire season revolve around the riot. Too many times, a TV show will make a major development for the sake of a season ending cliffhanger, only to resolve it in a matter of an episode or two once the next season starts (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I'm looking in your direction). The ending of season 4 wasn't something that you could sew up neatly, and I like that they expanded it. No, not EVERY plot line of 5 worked, but you can say that about every season.

My biggest laugh out loud moment actually came in the finale, from Big Boo, and it's a line I'm totally gonna steal: "I'm sorry. Wait, I mean go fuck yourself. I always get those two confused."
Old 10-18-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) -- Season 5 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

We are catching up on this series and have really been struggling with the 5th season so far. We really liked the previous seasons, but it feels like the series has jumped the shark in about 3-4 different ways this season. My wife is about to give up on it and my patience is also starting to wear.

Do things improve in the second half of the season, or at least in the last two seasons to justify pushing through?