Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 06:41 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17

Nikki struggles to survive, Emmit gets spooked and Sy joins Varga for tea. Written by Noah Hawley and Monica Beletsky; Directed by Mike Barker.
Old 06-07-17, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17

Holy Shit That was nuts
Old 06-07-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Another nod to the movie with the chasing down of the eyewitnesses and killing them in their overturned car in the snow. And of course, the Bowling Alley (Lebowski).

I rolled my eyes at the decapitation. That ain't gonna happen.
So the deaf guy stabs Qualls with the arrow and then spends some time to pull it out - all the while he has an axe in his other hand. Why didn't he use the axe at that point before he had to throw it?
Old 06-08-17, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
Another nod to the movie with the chasing down of the eyewitnesses and killing them in their overturned car in the snow. And of course, the Bowling Alley (Lebowski).

So the deaf guy stabs Qualls with the arrow and then spends some time to pull it out - all the while he has an axe in his other hand. Why didn't he use the axe at that point before he had to throw it?
The deaf guy is Mr. Wrench from Season 1 of Fargo. He was with Mr. Numbers when they were trying to track down Lorne Malvo.

My guess about the Axe is he knew the other guy was out there and he didn't want to use the axe in case the other guy came out of nowhere. Use the arrow and you still have a free hand to use on the other guy if needed.
Old 06-08-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lebowski references were off the chart. Bowling alley, the VW, the cut off ear.. man, just so much.

The episode was just all around nuts.
Old 06-08-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
The deaf guy is Mr. Wrench from Season 1 of Fargo. He was with Mr. Numbers when they were trying to track down Lorne Malvo.
I know who he is... just couldn't remember his name.. so "deaf guy" came in handy.

My guess about the Axe is he knew the other guy was out there and he didn't want to use the axe in case the other guy came out of nowhere. Use the arrow and you still have a free hand to use on the other guy if needed.
That's a stretch. All he had to do was wack him real quick on the head with the axe. Instead, he struggled for a while to pull the arrow out while leaving himself exposed for longer than he should. Not a big deal - just didn't make sense to me.
Old 06-08-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Emmit went to the wrong jurisdiction to confess.
Old 06-08-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was that bit with the guy in the bowling alley supposed to make sense?
Old 06-09-17, 06:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Was that bit with the guy in the bowling alley supposed to make sense?
Here's one interpretation:
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/fargo-wh...-recap-review/
Old 06-09-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Qualls was listed as "The Golem" in the subtitles; were he made of clay it would happen.
Old 06-09-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I have to admit I had completely forgotten that the guy in the bowling alley was from the LA episode. It seems so long ago and had so little to do with any other episode that I guess I sort of emptied him from the recycle bin.

Grandpa author and his books, the LA trip, a few other seemingly random occurrences...I wonder how many will make their appearance in the season meaningful by the end of the finale (like the bowling alley guy)? Or maybe I just need someone to explain them to me...wouldn't be the first time.

Do not get me wrong, the production values alone are enough to make me love nearly every minute of the show. But it can get distracting when it seems like I should be seeing some things that may - or may not - be there that would enhance my enjoyment even more.
Old 06-12-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm done with this one. This season just didn't work for me. Actually, nothing about it worked for me. I'll be back for season 4 though given how great the first two seasons were.
Old 06-12-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm done with this one. This season just didn't work for me. Actually, nothing about it worked for me. I'll be back for season 4 though given how great the first two seasons were.

How many episodes did you watch? You know there are only two episodes left, right?
Old 06-12-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have really enjoyed the female characters on this show. All then men? Not so much. Wouldn't mind seeing them all taken out by the women.
Old 06-12-17, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I have really enjoyed the female characters on this show. All then men? Not so much. Wouldn't mind seeing them all taken out by the women.
A consistent theme in Fargo, movie and show, is look at all the bullshit women have to deal with.
Old 06-12-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cleaver
A consistent theme in Fargo, movie and show, is look at all the bullshit women have to deal with.
But in seasons 1 and 2 there were so many great actors/characters. I can honestly saw I don't like any of them this season. Which surprises me because I usually love anything with Ewan and Thewlis.
Old 06-12-17, 10:01 AM

But in seasons 1 and 2 there were so many great actors/characters. I can honestly saw I don't like any of them this season. Which surprises me because I usually love anything with Ewan and Thewlis.
Testament to the greatness of the 1st 2 seasons. It's tough to keep coming up with these plots in the Fargo motif.
Old 06-12-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoy this season. I think it will really be great once it's concluded and it can be binged in one or two sittings.
Old 06-12-17, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm enjoying it, but definitely prefer the first seasons, but it's good that they mix it up. The biggest difference beyond the specific storyline is the pace on this one. Until this past episode, it's been several weeks of mostly tension.
Old 06-12-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many episodes did you watch? You know there are only two episodes left, right?
I'm caught up. But I just don't care about any of the characters or the story. It feels like there is a bunch of esoteric nonsense going on for no reason at all. I think I'll be ok with a recap at some point.
Old 06-12-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ewan is flat out terrible in this. The Sheriff isn't much better. In past seasons and in the movie the Sheriff has been a great character who was the heart of the show/movie. Here shes been largely overlooked and with good reason. She is about as interesting as a pile of wet sawdust. There is no one to route for and no sympathetic characters.
Old 06-12-17, 10:09 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Ewan is flat out terrible in this. The Sheriff isn't much better. In past seasons and in the movie the Sheriff has been a great character who was the heart of the show/movie. Here shes been largely overlooked and with good reason. She is about as interesting as a pile of wet sawdust. There is no one to route for and no sympathetic characters.
I think Coon and her new sidekick are two of the best things of this season. They are great. The plot with the new boss is so tired and re-tread feeling it brings everything down.
Old 06-13-17, 10:26 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think Coon and her new sidekick are two of the best things of this season. They are great. The plot with the new boss is so tired and re-tread feeling it brings everything down.
Totally agree. That guy already feels a bit like Neegan from the Walking Dead. Was good at first but now it's just a bit much.
Old 06-13-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed 100%
Old 06-13-17, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the great things about season 2 was that there were a couple of great things happening - or that is to say clusters of different subplots.

It's getting tedious to see the Vargo do his thing every week. Now we are close to the end, so it will come to a head, but it fills like it's missing something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.