DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640354-fargo-s3e08-who-rules-land-denial-6-7-17-a.html)

dex14 06-07-17 06:41 AM

Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d8&oe=59AB7E76


Nikki struggles to survive, Emmit gets spooked and Sy joins Varga for tea. Written by Noah Hawley and Monica Beletsky; Directed by Mike Barker.

Greedoshotfirst 06-07-17 09:18 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
Holy Shit -eek- That was nuts

Coral 06-07-17 11:44 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
Another nod to the movie with the chasing down of the eyewitnesses and killing them in their overturned car in the snow. And of course, the Bowling Alley (Lebowski).

I rolled my eyes at the decapitation. That ain't gonna happen.
So the deaf guy stabs Qualls with the arrow and then spends some time to pull it out - all the while he has an axe in his other hand. Why didn't he use the axe at that point before he had to throw it?

Greedoshotfirst 06-08-17 07:31 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13090586)
Another nod to the movie with the chasing down of the eyewitnesses and killing them in their overturned car in the snow. And of course, the Bowling Alley (Lebowski).

I rolled my eyes at the decapitation. That ain't gonna happen.
So the deaf guy stabs Qualls with the arrow and then spends some time to pull it out - all the while he has an axe in his other hand. Why didn't he use the axe at that point before he had to throw it?

The deaf guy is Mr. Wrench from Season 1 of Fargo. He was with Mr. Numbers when they were trying to track down Lorne Malvo.

My guess about the Axe is he knew the other guy was out there and he didn't want to use the axe in case the other guy came out of nowhere. Use the arrow and you still have a free hand to use on the other guy if needed.

Jackskeleton 06-08-17 11:19 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
The Lebowski references were off the chart. Bowling alley, the VW, the cut off ear.. man, just so much.

The episode was just all around nuts.

Coral 06-08-17 02:51 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst (Post 13090656)
The deaf guy is Mr. Wrench from Season 1 of Fargo. He was with Mr. Numbers when they were trying to track down Lorne Malvo.

I know who he is... just couldn't remember his name.. so "deaf guy" came in handy. ;)


My guess about the Axe is he knew the other guy was out there and he didn't want to use the axe in case the other guy came out of nowhere. Use the arrow and you still have a free hand to use on the other guy if needed.
That's a stretch. All he had to do was wack him real quick on the head with the axe. Instead, he struggled for a while to pull the arrow out while leaving himself exposed for longer than he should. Not a big deal - just didn't make sense to me.

BuckNaked2k 06-08-17 04:50 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
Emmit went to the wrong jurisdiction to confess.

Thrush 06-08-17 10:26 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
Was that bit with the guy in the bowling alley supposed to make sense?

blairwitchfan 06-09-17 06:34 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 13091390)
Was that bit with the guy in the bowling alley supposed to make sense?

Here's one interpretation:
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/fargo-wh...-recap-review/

cleaver 06-09-17 09:37 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13090586)
I rolled my eyes at the decapitation. That ain't gonna happen.

Qualls was listed as "The Golem" in the subtitles; were he made of clay it would happen.

Bill Needle 06-09-17 12:17 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
I have to admit I had completely forgotten that the guy in the bowling alley was from the LA episode. It seems so long ago and had so little to do with any other episode that I guess I sort of emptied him from the recycle bin.

Grandpa author and his books, the LA trip, a few other seemingly random occurrences...I wonder how many will make their appearance in the season meaningful by the end of the finale (like the bowling alley guy)? Or maybe I just need someone to explain them to me...wouldn't be the first time.

Do not get me wrong, the production values alone are enough to make me love nearly every minute of the show. But it can get distracting when it seems like I should be seeing some things that may - or may not - be there that would enhance my enjoyment even more.

starseed1981 06-12-17 09:08 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
I'm done with this one. This season just didn't work for me. Actually, nothing about it worked for me. I'll be back for season 4 though given how great the first two seasons were.

hdnmickey 06-12-17 09:25 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13093367)
I'm done with this one. This season just didn't work for me. Actually, nothing about it worked for me. I'll be back for season 4 though given how great the first two seasons were.


How many episodes did you watch? You know there are only two episodes left, right?

hdnmickey 06-12-17 09:27 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
I have really enjoyed the female characters on this show. All then men? Not so much. Wouldn't mind seeing them all taken out by the women.

cleaver 06-12-17 09:38 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13093374)
I have really enjoyed the female characters on this show. All then men? Not so much. Wouldn't mind seeing them all taken out by the women.

A consistent theme in Fargo, movie and show, is look at all the bullshit women have to deal with.

hdnmickey 06-12-17 09:43 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 13093380)
A consistent theme in Fargo, movie and show, is look at all the bullshit women have to deal with.

But in seasons 1 and 2 there were so many great actors/characters. I can honestly saw I don't like any of them this season. Which surprises me because I usually love anything with Ewan and Thewlis.

cleaver 06-12-17 10:01 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13093383)
But in seasons 1 and 2 there were so many great actors/characters. I can honestly saw I don't like any of them this season. Which surprises me because I usually love anything with Ewan and Thewlis.

Testament to the greatness of the 1st 2 seasons. It's tough to keep coming up with these plots in the Fargo motif.

BuckNaked2k 06-12-17 10:26 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
I enjoy this season. I think it will really be great once it's concluded and it can be binged in one or two sittings.

albert_m 06-12-17 12:37 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
I'm enjoying it, but definitely prefer the first seasons, but it's good that they mix it up. The biggest difference beyond the specific storyline is the pace on this one. Until this past episode, it's been several weeks of mostly tension.

starseed1981 06-12-17 12:38 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13093373)
How many episodes did you watch? You know there are only two episodes left, right?

I'm caught up. But I just don't care about any of the characters or the story. It feels like there is a bunch of esoteric nonsense going on for no reason at all. I think I'll be ok with a recap at some point.

Thrush 06-12-17 08:42 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13093383)
But in seasons 1 and 2 there were so many great actors/characters. I can honestly saw I don't like any of them this season. Which surprises me because I usually love anything with Ewan and Thewlis.

Ewan is flat out terrible in this. The Sheriff isn't much better. In past seasons and in the movie the Sheriff has been a great character who was the heart of the show/movie. Here shes been largely overlooked and with good reason. She is about as interesting as a pile of wet sawdust. There is no one to route for and no sympathetic characters.

johnnysd 06-12-17 10:09 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 13093918)
Ewan is flat out terrible in this. The Sheriff isn't much better. In past seasons and in the movie the Sheriff has been a great character who was the heart of the show/movie. Here shes been largely overlooked and with good reason. She is about as interesting as a pile of wet sawdust. There is no one to route for and no sympathetic characters.

I think Coon and her new sidekick are two of the best things of this season. They are great. The plot with the new boss is so tired and re-tread feeling it brings everything down.

uteotw 06-13-17 10:26 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13093997)
I think Coon and her new sidekick are two of the best things of this season. They are great. The plot with the new boss is so tired and re-tread feeling it brings everything down.

Totally agree. That guy already feels a bit like Neegan from the Walking Dead. Was good at first but now it's just a bit much.

starseed1981 06-13-17 11:27 AM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 

Originally Posted by Thrush (Post 13093918)
Ewan is flat out terrible in this. The Sheriff isn't much better. In past seasons and in the movie the Sheriff has been a great character who was the heart of the show/movie. Here shes been largely overlooked and with good reason. She is about as interesting as a pile of wet sawdust. There is no one to route for and no sympathetic characters.

Agreed 100%

albert_m 06-13-17 12:10 PM

Re: Fargo (S3E08) -- "Who Rules the Land of Denial?" -- 6/7/17
 
One of the great things about season 2 was that there were a couple of great things happening - or that is to say clusters of different subplots.

It's getting tedious to see the Vargo do his thing every week. Now we are close to the end, so it will come to a head, but it fills like it's missing something.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.