Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

well, at least there is only the season finale left... I find myself getting more and more irritated with the show as the weeks go on. Really inconsistent except for the increasingly bad decisions of Madison and Nick... I love Kim Dickens and seeing her do stupid thing after stupid thing each week is getting old.
Old 10-10-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
They killed off another likeable and original character. Nick's back on drugs. And the Clarks are split up again for no good reason. They're really making it difficult for me to like this show.
Spoiler:
Also killing off Ophelia after making such a big deal about the "Where is Ophelia" crap they had been doing seems really dumb. Why the hell would he allow Madison in behind the protection of the dam now for that matter, or agree to take in Strand???
Old 10-10-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't watch the show (I'm done), but Nick being back on drugs would explain a lot of his horrible actions and decisions if he was doing them the past 4 episodes.
Old 10-10-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

This is just ridiculous.

Spoiler:
I can't believe they killed Ofelia off. One of the last likeable characters on this show.
It's almost as if they are trying to push away as many viewers as possible. There is really no likeable characters at all. They've actively ruined each one. Seriously I think Troy might be the most likeable character now. Who are these writers? I thought it was funny how even the characters were getting sick of Madison.

Also Mercedes Mason is really hot. Can she always be on the Talking Dead?

Last edited by tanman; 10-10-17 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there is anything that says they chose to kill off Ofelia? Maybe the actress (given her pregnancy and the fact the show is sub-par at best) chose not to continue. And yeah, she is super hot. Great personality to go with the looks.
Old 10-11-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Are there is anything that says they chose to kill off Ofelia? Maybe the actress (given her pregnancy and the fact the show is sub-par at best) chose not to continue. And yeah, she is super hot. Great personality to go with the looks.
I read her death will affect Daniel in a way that will affect the overall story, and that's why she was killed off. And on Talking Dead, Mason said she was told Ofelia was going to die when she filmed the vent scene in the previous episode.
Old 10-11-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read her death will affect Daniel in a way that will affect the overall story, and that's why she was killed off. And on Talking Dead, Mason said she was told Ofelia was going to die when she filmed the vent scene in the previous episode.
But none of that covers if it was her decision earlier on to come back after this season or not. All the details come after they know either way.
Old 10-17-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So anyone else hoping that Nick was going to blow up the dam and kill everyone on the show? I think they could do a total reboot on this show. I seriously wonder if anyone is still a fan of the show or are we just watching it out of loyalty to TWD universe in general. Mason FINALLY got rid of Troy. One thing I find interesting is that on the Talking Dead and even on the show itself now they are pretty self aware of how ridiculously destructive the Clarks are, especially Madison. Like comically so. I don't know why they don't fix it. Do they have some kind of redemption arc planned? (doubt it). Are they too afraid to kill off Madison? Did they paint themselves into a corner story wise?

I really think the problem is boiled down to the fact that there is absolutely no payoff in watching this show. They are so inconsistent with the characters that if they make them even slightly likeable they write them doing something that is so inconsistent with the character that they basically destroy them. Or they kill off the likeable characters for no reason at all while keeping incredibly unlikeable characters on the show for way too long. They also stick around in one place just long enough for you to be vested in that place and the people that live there only for them to totally destroy that leaving you with an entire season for nothing. I get that they are shy about staying in one place for so long after season 2 of TWD but the thing is that season 2 was still a great season. Yeah they might have stayed on the farm a bit too long but that really lead to a lot of great moments in the show and characters that stayed for awhile and really became part of the group.

So rumors for the next season are they may be moving everyone to Houston and that's how they'll meet Abraham? In TWD he said his family left him in Houston? I don't remember that. I thought his wife died right before he meet Eugene. That's why he fell for Eugene's lie quickly because he needed something to live for.
Old 10-17-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I'm on season 2 and what I've learned from these shows (TWD, The Strain, FearTWD) is that in the event of an "infection"/zombie apocalypse, the first thing we should do is kill all the teenagers because they invariably fuck everything up and make everyone's lives miserable. I'm looking at you Carl/Zach/Chris.
Old 10-17-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
So anyone else hoping that Nick was going to blow up the dam and kill everyone on the show?
Yes, but Kim Dickens has incriminating photos of Robert Kirkman with goats so she'll never die. Was a goodish episode until magically everyone is situated to survive. Golden opportunity to kill everyone in grand fashion and reboot this mess but for like the 10th time the Clarke family HAS to miraculously survive. Seriously feels like producers are trolling the audience, knowing full well we hate Madison and her brood.
Old 10-17-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the finale. I didn't expect any of the Clarks to die, but I was hoping Strand and Daniel would bite the dust. At least Troy is finally gone for good. And hey - we got an F-bomb!
Old 10-17-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I just wish they would stick to some plot point and actually work their way through it instead of the ADHD levels they resort to in plowing through situations. The whole getting to a army base to "science experiments" to a ranch to the damn just seem so carelessly thrown together or rushed through. Did we ever figure out what was the whole wall monsters that pulled that guy through at the beginning of last season on the base?
Old 10-17-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Did we ever figure out what was the whole wall monsters that pulled that guy through at the beginning of last season on the base?
Sorry. This isn't ringing any bells.
Old 10-17-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we supposed think everybody other than Madison is dead? Walker and his buddy were on the hill, but I suspect we have seen the last of them. That whole sniper scene was cool up to the point where it didn't mean anything.
Old 10-17-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I just wish they would stick to some plot point and actually work their way through it instead of the ADHD levels they resort to in plowing through situations. The whole getting to a army base to "science experiments" to a ranch to the damn just seem so carelessly thrown together or rushed through. Did we ever figure out what was the whole wall monsters that pulled that guy through at the beginning of last season on the base?
Exactly. The story is so haphazardly stitched together that rarely do character actions make any sense whatsoever. And for that matter, neither do their reactions to the inane actions of the other characters.

The show is an utter nonsense as far as storytelling.

For example, a few hours after Ofelia attempts to mass murder the entire ranch population, it is essentially forgotten. There are zero consequences - save for the sniffles from some of the few survivors of both Ofelia's crime against humanity indiscriminate bioweapon attack and the resulting onslaught of dead friends and relatives that fell victim to it.

Or as you mentioned, the season started with Troy and the gang systematically exterminating people - with all of the Clarks in the checkout line - and a day or two later it was as if it never happened.

Or how about this: It is just accepted by a slew of people who barely know her that without so much as a shred of reference material or measurement of any kind that Alicia can calculate precisely how long they have to live in the bunker before they will begin dying from CO2 poisoning - to the point that people willingly allow her to murder them. Anyone want to take a moment to check those calculations from this teenager that hasn't completed high school first? Nope, I guess not.

There are so many examples of this unintentional comedy that I am amazed anyone can take the show seriously. Episodes should be non-stop characters quizzing each other, "Just how goddam dumb are you?"

The lead character - Madison - through a triumph of stupidity has been directly responsible for more deaths than the zombie apocalypse. She is a menace to anyone that comes in contact with her, but not in a cool badass way, but in a monkey playing with explosives way. And somehow no character ever - EVER - seems to notice or exhibit the least bit of concern about it. She walks in, fucks everyone's lives over, and walks out without so much as a sideways glance in her direction.

There were a few interesting characters early in the series, but they have pretty much killed or ruined them all, prime example being Strand. Think about what he was in the first season, and now he is a sniveling fool.
Old 10-17-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Sorry. This isn't ringing any bells.
this pointless plot point.

Seriously, it's like they have a great idea as to where to take the story and then two seconds later they just go another path. What was the point of Alicia going on her own if we just turn around not even two episodes later getting her right back with the group? That new friend will just probably get written off and ignored... soooo why? And what's the point of introducing the whole tribe if you're just going to bring them down to two characters walking off.

So many just second guessing of the story path that you have to wonder what the hell are they doing
Old 10-18-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

on the talking dead aftershow they mention Greg Nicotero will be EP for FTWD next season. I Gail Hurd out? I didnt finish the TD for the finale yet so not sure if they talked about it there or not.

A fairly uneven episode for the finale but no surprise there.

Spoiler:
was nice that they had Cliff Curtis in it for a minute toward the end in the river pulling Madison awake, but the bouncing back and forth for the Christmas dinner scenes was distracting at best and seemed silly.
Old 10-18-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb
on the talking dead aftershow they mention Greg Nicotero will be EP for FTWD next season. I Gail Hurd out? I didnt finish the TD for the finale yet so not sure if they talked about it there or not.
They said Scott M. Gimple would be the new showrunner. I doubt Hurd is out.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 10-18-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-20-17, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Exactly. The story is so haphazardly stitched together that rarely do character actions make any sense whatsoever. And for that matter, neither do their reactions to the inane actions of the other characters.

The show is an utter nonsense as far as storytelling.

For example, a few hours after Ofelia attempts to mass murder the entire ranch population, it is essentially forgotten. There are zero consequences - save for the sniffles from some of the few survivors of both Ofelia's crime against humanity indiscriminate bioweapon attack and the resulting onslaught of dead friends and relatives that fell victim to it.

Or as you mentioned, the season started with Troy and the gang systematically exterminating people - with all of the Clarks in the checkout line - and a day or two later it was as if it never happened.

Or how about this: It is just accepted by a slew of people who barely know her that without so much as a shred of reference material or measurement of any kind that Alicia can calculate precisely how long they have to live in the bunker before they will begin dying from CO2 poisoning - to the point that people willingly allow her to murder them. Anyone want to take a moment to check those calculations from this teenager that hasn't completed high school first? Nope, I guess not.

There are so many examples of this unintentional comedy that I am amazed anyone can take the show seriously. Episodes should be non-stop characters quizzing each other, "Just how goddam dumb are you?"

The lead character - Madison - through a triumph of stupidity has been directly responsible for more deaths than the zombie apocalypse. She is a menace to anyone that comes in contact with her, but not in a cool badass way, but in a monkey playing with explosives way. And somehow no character ever - EVER - seems to notice or exhibit the least bit of concern about it. She walks in, fucks everyone's lives over, and walks out without so much as a sideways glance in her direction.

There were a few interesting characters early in the series, but they have pretty much killed or ruined them all, prime example being Strand. Think about what he was in the first season, and now he is a sniveling fool.
This is exactly the problem. The writing is so SO terrible. It's just a series of random events at this point with the Clarks just bouncing from one community to another and destroying everything in their path. It's unbelievable really. I think it's because they are so scarred of another season 2 of TWD and the complaints of that show taking too long for anything to really happen and they've taken it to comical extremes.
Old 10-20-17, 11:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Writing is terrible, characters inconsistent, i'm waiting for the crossover with Walking dead

and i do like some of the scenes. Alicia has gotten hotter
Old 10-21-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see any benefit to be had by having this shitty show crossover with the borderline shittiness that is Walking dead.
Old 10-22-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I just finished this. Yeah, the writing/storytelling is mediocre but I liked that they stuck to the main characters as opposed to the last few seasons of TWD which constantly introduced new characters/groups nobody cared about. That said, there has to be a happy medium between the two.
Old 10-29-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I liked that they stuck to the main characters
I don't mind the story running with a small cast of character I just sort of wish they transfer the story over to the more interesting characters on the show. Then let them run with the story line for a while. Being Madison going into tough mom mode to scowling at people as she demands this and that has nothing to back up her over all attitude of being a bad ass.
Where as say a show like Son of Anarchy even ran an ep with the theme of how the "old ladies" of the bikers did not have to take crap from anyone, being the gang would back them up.

I think we all knew the dam would be blown up at the end and the family would be split up and/or on the move. That part was a given. I really hoped the son would get taken out too but oh well. As I've said before, I still like the theme of the show it's the lazy writing as they take the easy way out every time that gets annoying. Need the main guy getting back surgery? Sure. Need him on the bridge a few hours later? Yeah whatever he can walk right away, lets go. You could walk the family out in any given direction but you take them right past the entire gang? Ok sure.

oh and I can't be the only one that found the dam blowing up to be rather comical given how calm the water flowed out of the place. Where as the reality is even a controlled release can be a huge issue for a dam, like Oroville's last winter.

Old 11-15-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

No season 4 thread yet, but here's some casting news.

Garrett Dillahunt and Jenna Elfman are joining the cast as regulars.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...egular-1058147
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...egular-1058682
Old 11-15-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jenna Elfman? Interesting choice. Huge fan of Garrett Dillahunt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.