Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

Old 06-20-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

I don't understand the hate this is getting that much. Sure it's not what they told us it'd be originally... and sure it's nothing fantastic to write home about but imo it's watchable and this show's lowest point was still higher than most of the last season we had of the main TWD series.
Old 06-20-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 6/4/17

Originally Posted by Koby
I don't understand the hate this is getting
If I remember the past threads for the show correctly people were kind of nerd hyped for a zombie show finally set in LA. Something different from the compound/farm/no where land settings of the Walk Dead

but then in almost no time Fear The Walking Dead does away with the core city vibe. Well ok then, maybe this cool boat location might be different to watch...... wait now the boat is gone too and ok we are back to a show in some random farm compound.

The writers on this show have also been really lazy. Flip flopping around the basic rules of their own zombie world. Heroes totally panic around zombies for one ep but then use a little sunscreen level of zombie blood to walk in a middle of a horde for the next ep. Only to forget about that solution an ep later.

also people really, really hate the junky son for some reason. At least those are the main hate watching highlights from the last few season.

personally I think the zombie genre over all is hitting a pretty hard wall now after so many years. Train to Busan or Girl with all the Gifts is fine, being those movies have newer twists to them. The slow shuffle along of zombies, a few jump scare and random bunker compound seems not to cut it anymore.

but hey a lot of us are still watching even if we whine about the show. That's all the creators/network care about.
Old 06-20-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I actually enjoyed this episode a good deal.
Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Well after this ep I now see that it's really just the Clark family I hate!
Being Salazar is even more interesting with a bit of a back story and of course Victor trying to weasel his way out of everything/anything is always good.
Haha ditto! I can't stand the other half of the main cast so this was actually an enjoyable if not occasionally disjointed episode. Best of the season so far IMHO.
Old 06-26-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was fun to see Victor's keep trying to low expectations every few miles closer to the hotel. Each stop was a bit more weasel like in how he was phrasing and framing the situation. In some ways the outcome might of been the best for him as far as dealing with Salazar

So all around decent story movement for the 5th ep. A little cliche in who/what/how with the compound side of the story but that's to be expected really. After all, is it really a successful zombie apocalypse compound if someone is not trying to take it away?

that said, are we looping into a bit of a story line from Z Nation here?

randomness: I've always found the act of "Give me your shoes!" in films/tv shows to be a little humorous in how it's shown to be this character crippling issue almost instantly. Being I run around like a hobbit with no shoes on all the time anyways, it's not that big of a deal if you are use to it.
Just don't go all John McClane in Nakatomi Plaza and you're fine. On shows? Three steps and they are crippled.
Old 06-30-17, 08:18 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is poor drama with not enough action to save it
Old 07-03-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok EP6 has now come and gone.
Ya know I'm not sure where this falls in the scale of racism or if it's just sterotype issues etc.

Yet I have a really hard time with the idea of random 2017 reservation gift shop sort of indians turning into Magua from Last of the Mohicans due to a zombie apocalypse. Really? Like the old ways are just ingrained in them and it's sneaking people 50 yards inside the line with your indian mojo skills!?

Like a few months ago the men of the tribe where: Hey when does Destiny 2 come out again? Ya going to preorder?
Month after zombie apocalypse: When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies, Magua will put his children under the knife, so the Grey Hair will know his seed is wiped out forever.

whatever.. I don't think it works that way..
as for the EP over all.. back to full ep but really only about 10 min the story moving forward.
Old 07-03-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet I have a really hard time with the idea of random 2017 reservation gift shop sort of indians turning into Magua from Last of the Mohicans due to a zombie apocalypse. Really? Like the old ways are just ingrained in them and it's sneaking people 50 yards inside the line with your indian mojo skills!?
Maybe they just watched that scene in Outlaw Josey Wales on Netflix and got inspired.
Old 07-10-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Holy shit.

They must've hired a competent director for this finale. Felt out of character and actually well made.

That version of Stand By Me at the end was killer too.
Old 07-10-17, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire ranch storyline was a complete and utter bumblef*ck. Almost nothing of what happened made any logical sense. The character actions ranged from inexplicable to bizarre. As it went on we eventually found ourselves mocking and ridiculing the unintentional comedy riddling the show. Watching two hours together just served to emphasize the comically stupid behavior of the show's characters. People sometimes gripe about the original show, but it is Shakespeare in the Globe Theater compared to this.

Oh, and chalk up one more community the Clark family has decimated with their sanctimonious idiocy merely by brushing up against it. They are responsible for more mayhem than the walking corpses. Madison has to be intentionally written to be this unapologetically dumb, right? The show can't possibly expect her character to be taken seriously, can it?

And finally we have the answer to "Where's Ofelia? Well, she's in the kitchen attacking men, women, and children indiscriminately with a weapon of mass destruction. It's all good though because she had second thoughts about it afterwards, for nearly a minute. But since nobody at the ranch gave it a second thought by the next day, I guess who am I to judge.
Old 07-10-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Almost nothing of what happened made any logical sense
yeah the main barb thrown at the writers for this show is they just sort of throw ideas around and don't worry about how/if they connect or even make sense in some cases.

You want super spec op level Indians that can sneak into 50+ yards into the camp? Sure you got it. Oh wait, you want the same Indians to now be incompetent and just leave their camp wide open? Sure, we can do that too.
Crash a chopper? ok.. Have it just hauled away as if it's a 1970 Ford Pinto? Sure whatever who cares. Then just patch it up being I'm sure parts of for a $$$$$$$$$ chopper are all over the place at your local gas station.

At this point I'm just watching being as I've said before, I'm a total sucker for the setting. Yet I would be happy if they wrote the Clark family out of the show and just went with other characters. Like if the next season was just the two bothers from the camp driving around?
Great, 100% fine with that happening.
Old 07-10-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I'm just watching being as I've said before, I'm a total sucker for the setting. Yet I would be happy if they wrote the Clark family out of the show and just went with other characters. Like if the next season was just the two bothers from the camp driving around?
Great, 100% fine with that happening.
Agree completely. We are being force-fed a nonsense and it is to the massive detriment of the show.

Here is a write up that sums up my thoughts pretty well if I had the patience to type them up myself:

AMC Needs To Kill Off One More 'Fear The Walking Dead' Character

The first half of Fear The Walking Dead's third season was actually really good. Shockingly good.

It blurred the lines between good and evil, and introduced a number of really interesting, complicated characters.

It also killed off a major character in a truly surprising way in the very beginning. Unfortunately, the show killed off the wrong character. It's become clear to me after the first eight episodes that the surviving parent, Madison Clark, is ruining Fear The Walking Dead. That may be blunt, but I think it's a hard truth the showrunners need to come to grips with.

Of course, I doubt AMC will kill off Madison so soon after killing off Travis. They seem determined, almost to the point of absurdity, to make her the hero of the show. This is a huge mistake. She's the worst-written character by far, and actor Kim Dickens simply can't keep up with the rest of the cast. Her Madison is wooden, expressionless and entirely unsympathetic. That may sound harsh, but I don't know how else to put it. Other than a couple of scenes where Madison actually did the smart thing, she spent Season 3 basically screwing up over and over again, destroying everything she touched.

She's arrogant, headstrong to a fault, and consistently makes the wrong decision. Dickens plays her as an unswervingly "tough" character, and the writers beat us over the head with this notion again and again. But she never actually earns that label. In fact, she bizarrely inserts herself in just about every situation, and the other characters just seem to endure her presence for some reason. She's like a worse Rick...like if you took Andrea and Rick and merged the two together. Randrea. Rickdrea. Andrick. Madison.

Speaking with ComicBook.com, showrunner Dave Erickson explained that Travis's death wasn't always supposed to happen when it did, but one of the positive things that came out of it was a renewed focus on other characters---specifically Madison.

"Kim is number one on the call sheet, and she's always been, in my mind, she's always been our lead and our anchor, Erickson said. "From a story perspective, the loss of Travis forced her to double down on the ranch and on this family."

"I mean, ultimately, we have 42 minutes an episode," Erickson said, "and you can only service so many characters on an ongoing basis, and so strictly in terms of story real estate, it meant that Madison had to step up as a character, but it also meant that she ended up taking on a lot more story."

In other words, the death of Travis was the direct cause of way more Madison this season. What a horrible outcome. Last season Madison did enough stupid things to earn her a spot next to Andrea as one of the most irritating characters in The Walking Dead universe. She turned on the hotel lights causing people from miles around to flock to their hideout. She barged into a gang-controlled warehouse to demand answers about Nick. She agreed to kidnap children from a family who was perfectly safe on their island until our heroes arrived. On and on and on her terrible decisions made her more and more unlikable.

Now in Season 3 she's backed the wrong group, supporting Troy and Jeremiah even when it became perfectly clear they were bad people. She "rescued" Alicia and caused dozens of people to die in the fallout from that horrible decision that she made without anyone else's input and never needed to do to begin with. She covered up Troy killing an entire family of people and lied to her own daughter about it. And yet over and over again the writers insist she's "tough."

Black Hat leader Qaletaqa Walker says she's "more of a man" than the Ottos simply because she stupidly returns to the reservation with Ofelia as her hostage. She could have been shot at any point, easily, but this somehow makes her more manly? (Setting aside what a stupid compliment this is to begin with.) Before Nick shoots him, Jeremiah is rambling about how she's more tough than he could ever imagine being, simply because she...I honestly don't know what makes her so tough. What makes her so tough?

Yeah, putting a spoon in Troy's eye was tough, but other than that? When she went out with the militia (because of reasons) and they stopped to kill some zombies, she hit one in the neck instead of the head and then almost died before being saved by the militiamen. But then they treat her like she's actually super tough...for almost getting killed...and needing to be saved?

What? Just because other characters keep saying someone is tough doesn't make it true.

The real kicker for me was Madison's terrible, third-person monologue to her children toward the end of last night's midseason finale. She describes herself as "a little girl" and tells the story of her childhood and abusive, drunken father. In third person! It was just so awful I couldn't tell whether to laugh or throw my remote at the TV. At least she didn't end it with "And that little girl...was me!"

The entire thing---this predictable, stupid, over-used backstory---was absurd. That she hadn't told her children before this; that she was a school counselor despite having killed her own father; that the stupid monologue was in third person! Gah! And none of it, in any way, gets her off the hook for backing a murderer and lying to her daughter about it. Just an atrocious moment of television and wholly avoidable if the showrunners wake up and realize that Madison is a terrible lead and needs to go.

I still think that Fear is better than The Walking Dead at this point, but Madison weakens that argument considerably.

No Madison, you're not nearly as tough as you, the writers, and all the other supporting characters make you out to be. No, Alicia had it right when she once again called her own mother out on her flimsy grasp on morality and common sense. Alicia is the strong female lead this show needs, not Madison, just like Nick needs to become the show's male lead rather than Travis. A brother/sister duo trying to figure out this crazy zombified world would be a great show, especially since both Alycia Debnam-Carey and Frank Dillane are far more enjoyable actors. (Ruben Blades is also terrific, but Daniel will always be less of a focus on this show, though I'm incredibly happy he's returned from the dead.)

I only have one real complaint about the first half of season 3 and it's Madison. The writers force her into scenes she has no place being in. There's no reason that she would be at the center of every decision, every plot, every major moment on the ranch when other people have been there longer and already have established leadership roles. Her incredibly stupid decision to rescue Alicia was also an incredibly lazy way for the writers to avoid a peace deal and force the final showdown.

And while it's great that she finally confronted Otto and told him to kill himself, it was ultimately Nick who did the dirty work. And it makes more sense for Nick anyways. Nick is the one who established a relationship with Jeremiah. He's the one who started looking up to him before he was ultimately betrayed. He's the one who dug up Walker's father's skull. Madison was just an extra in that drama.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#5039ceba1ff5

There are so many examples of what an awful character Madison is that is why I asked above if the writers were actually trolling the audience with her.

Why do I care and take the time to post about this? Because I really, really want to like this show. I enjoy the genre and know that it deserves better. I want the show to be enjoyable and both a critical and commercial success. It is far, far from that and drifting away further with every scene that involves the lead character.

Let's see if someone involved with the show will have the courage to stand up and insist they do something about "the Madison problem" before the next season goes into production.
Old 07-10-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

It would be pretty crazy if they were setting Madison up to
Spoiler:
become Alpha.

There are some signs...

Spoiler:
Nick covering himself with blood and going native among the dead, the hardening of Madison's character. On the other hand, she doesn't have a daughter Carl's age, which becomes really important.

^Speculation, but it could be spoilery.
Old 07-10-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

There are so many examples of what an awful character Madison is that is why I asked above if the writers were actually trolling the audience with her.
I like how they addressed how robotic and cold Madison is in that end scene. They really need to just kill her off. Show can't keep being about Madison and kids getting into sticky situations and surviving due to a deus ex machina.
Old 07-11-17, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

This season of FTWD was pretty enjoyable overall and much better than the last season of TWD imo. I agree though that it would be a much better show if they killed of Madison.
Old 07-11-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another huge problem I have with the show in its current form:

What exactly does the show have to do with the zombie apocalypse any more? Take zombies completely out of the show and how does it change? Answer: Not at all. When is the last time a character even alluded to the fact that they are living through a potential extinction event? (OK, Strand and the Cosmonaut spoke 3 sentences on it, but you get my point)

Even when zombies are involved it is as if the director realized the writers had completely forgotten that this is supposed to be a zombie show, so he cobbled together a token moment that has nothing to do with the plot and wedged it into the episode. If this wasn't a Walking Dead show I would drop it. I have no interest in watching a dime-a-dozen crappy melodrama.
Old 07-12-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good season.

Two things that REALLY bugged me about the finale:

1) the big brother guy, after getting beat up and almost getting scalped, was in the very next scene looking like absolutely nothing happened. I had to rewind to make sure what I saw happened to the same character. Way to break continuity!

2) big dramatic moment at the end. Then they RUIN it with some bloody awful modern day "trying too hard" to be "emotional" song. Way to take the viewer out of the moment!
Old 07-14-17, 09:00 AM

things got a bit better with the injuns but this show still has a heap of problems

I agree there isn't much actual zombie action and content
Old 07-20-17, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally watched the finale...it took me two nights to trudge through both episodes because it was just not good. My thoughts:

- Poor directing in the final moments, trying to convey the timeshifting of the Jeremiah aftermath. I've seen that many people didn't realize exactly what happened; that the sons took the body wrapped in a sheet in the truck, Madison watched and later went to the barn to take his head (body in coffin). And then she somehow snuck out with the head and met Walker, without anyone noticing she left? Not executed very well.

- Two hours of characters making horrible decisions... Madison deciding to "rescue" Alicia, which inevitably ended up with dead indians and of course leads to Walker wanting blood. Then Jake takes Ophelia back, should be killed but is instead allowed to go back to the ranch. Then a half-beaten Ophelia is dropped off and taken in. Then, after a brief mention that she worked the kitchen, she is allowed access to their food and poisons the coffee. Then, Madison doesn't kill her, instead goes and finds out it was anthrax and just lets her go then and there. Oh, and then Jake and psycho son just accept that their father shot himself, with Madison just sitting there. Not to mention that Nick shooting him from ten feet away would look a lot different then him shooting himself, even without any forensics expertise in the room.

Ugh, I was trying to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this show but the last few episodes have been frustratingly rough. I'll watch the next half-season, but my interest is definitely waning, mostly because it's hard to root for the perceived protagonist, Madison at this point.
Old 09-10-17, 06:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The highly anticipated mid-season premiere of "Fear the Walking Dead" season three airs Sunday, September 10th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes. In the mid-season premiere, "Minotaur," in the aftermath of the Clark family's actions, new leadership assumes control of the Ranch. Daniel assists Lola in the distribution of water. In the second episode, "The Diviner," with the Ranch dangerously low on resources, Madison and Walker leave in search of a solution. Nick and Alicia struggle to keep the peace.
Old 09-10-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I gave up on this at the end of Season 1. Thought I would poke my head in here to see if it is worth coming back. Doesn't look like it. Sounds like Kim Dickens and this show are just more of everything I hate about Rick and the direction of the original Walking Dead.
Old 09-11-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's that.

I can now happily quit this steaming pile of incoherent nonsense without any worry about looking back. They really managed to quintuple down on all of the worst aspects of the show.

I won't list the long series of ridiculous moments that ravaged tonight's episodes like a dark ages pestilence, because frankly I don't care any more.

While it was never great, this was shameful. And I mean that literally...the people responsible for this show should be ashamed of themselves and return their salaries.

All that's left for me is to ask that someone please post when the Madison character is murdered and I'll download that episode for a chuckle. Until then, enjoy your hate-watching experience without me.
Old 09-12-17, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

enjoy your hate-watching experience without me.
This might be the best hate watching show we have right now! I mean come on, the total lack of respect the writers have the viewers make disliking it that much better. Like they know we bitch but they are all "Yeah whatever plebs you will still watch no mater what and here, we will prove it!".

I mean hey look it's a huge lake but some how the locals can't find water?

Ok... I guess the 12 bad guys keep that miles of shore line locked down. Some how the water was enough for a town of all living people but now with maybe 3/4th dead it's a shortage?

Only 124 days left of water on the ranch? Well hell lets drive this 4,000 gallon truck to a swap meet, say it's a 10k size truck and get some water. I mean clearly people will just have that laying around. Plus even when water is the most valuable thing in a life or death like setting I'm sure they will totally trade for it!

Fill that truck up and the ranch can be saved!!!!!!!!!!!*

*for two more weeks.

Nice try writers, you will not break me. I'm going to keep watching your crappy show with all my hate. I mean look sooner or later more of this family has to be killed off damn it. I'm not giving up hope!!
Old 09-16-17, 08:07 PM

Yeah it's bad, but i'm still hoping for some kind of walking dead tie up

Hardly any walkers at all !

It's become some kind of very bad mad max rip off

Most of the characters are annoying, stupid or both
Old 09-16-17, 08:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

same can be said for the original !
Old 09-19-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My fav hate watch moment of the last ep was when a group of people were rushing the gate and guards just zip tied the gate closed. Sure it was a beefy looking zip tie but still that's wrong.

Calling it now, the season final is the "release the water to the people" guy blows the dam up. Well that would cost too much production wise so it's going to be more like he is attacked and then with his last breath punches some button that opens the flood gates on the dam.

It's interesting to me how The Walking Dead can't drive more then a few miles before running into every sort of roadblock or issue one can dream up.

Fear The Walking Dead? Just a solo truck and next to no problems.. It might as well be a random sunday drive. I'm guessing this is a budget issue. Block a random road = cheap. Block road off and set dress it with cars etc = costly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.