Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race (S29E12) -- "We're Going to Victory Lane" -- 6/1/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-02-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Episode 12 of 12

"We're Going to Victory Lane" (Chicago, Illinois)

The final three teams race to Chicago, where they must complete their final challenges within the city's most iconic landmarks, including a trip to Wrigley Field, the home of the World Champion Chicago Cubs.

Remaining Teams in THE AMAZING RACE:

Tara and Joey

London and Logan

Scott and Brooke
Maybe the lack of initiative in starting this thread says how you felt about this episode. But I figure we might as well finish things up

Ugh. For me at least, this was a real lackluster way to finish the season. It's not even that the team I least wanted to win won. In fact, this last episode was one of the few times that I got a sense of who Brooke and Scott might really be. Superfans of the show who know the game's history and strategy inside-and-out and for whom getting to play really is a dream come true (instead of the forced reality tv characters of "whiny" Brooke and "sassy" Scott).

The problem I had with this episode was that there was zero suspense. And it's not because Brooke and Scott was so dominant, but more that the challenges were poorly thought through and didn't really allow for teams to make up time. Brooke and Scott got off to an early lead (and that was a really smart decision to think of a way to not have to carry around their backpacks) and that was it. Even the show's editing couldn't give the illusion of a contest.

The race car challenge was fine, but it turned out to be one of those that everyone will get after about the same number of trials. While the landmark challenge is a staple of TAR, having it be in America made it look easy to just constantly ask people on the streets how to get around (and Tara and Joey's one misstep effectively ended the competitiveness of the episode right there). I thought the hot dog challenge was going to be tougher (like they had to prepare and give out the hot dogs in a very specific way or else they had to run back to the food stand and start over). But it ended up just being about carrying the hot dogs across the street. And the final challenge ... the show has been on the air so long that all the players know you have to keep track of what has gone on in all the cities they visit. It didn't come across as any particular challenge to the players ... just something that took up some time.

Oh well ... there was enough entertainment for me throughout the season that I'm not sorry I watched. I always enjoy the travelogue aspect of this show, getting to see cool things around the world I never heard of. I'll be back next season
Old 06-02-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Amazing Race (S29E12) -- "We're Going to Victory Lane" -- 6/1/17

Even though I was rooting for Logan and London since the beginning, I'm happy with the winners.

Smart move with the backpacks. That guy sure was patient and it helped the team get better during the last few legs.
Old 06-02-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a good season. Too many gimmicky legs and boring tasks. The final had virtually no drama since it was a parade to the finish. I did like the way they cast the teams though. Hopefully we get a better next season.
Old 06-02-17, 04:29 PM

I enjoyed this season far more than the last couple, -hated the slot, but glad they've renewed it.
Old 06-03-17, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think about half way through the episode I was ok with Scott dragging Brooke to the finish. He did a great job not losing his shit. I want Logan and London too but that was not going to happen.
What I did love was how great Chicago looked. I live in Chicago and love it here. The skyline is beautiful and the helicopter shots they used looked awesome. I did find it funny how they edited in the Cubs winning the world series since they filmed in August,I believe.
I had great fun watching this season and can't wait for the next.
Old 06-03-17, 01:40 PM

I thought all teams had to show up at each pit stop (including the finish line) with thier backpacks. I guess it's just the passports.
Old 06-03-17, 01:56 PM

I could've used a little more drama for the finale, but Scott & Brooke ran a perfect leg so good on them. Excellent season, I really enjoyed it and hope for Season 30 they do the strangers again or an All-Stars.
Old 06-03-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess there was an advantage to Brooke and Scott being the smartest team. While there were no detours or road blocks, a smart team could have made up ground in the landmark search. Brooke and Scott did not allow that.

Tara and Joey were a good team, but their landmark mistake took any chance of them winning away. Brooke is someone who needs to feel pressure so she'll flub up. If Tara and Joey were doing the Wrigley task at the same time then Brooke would have panicked (maybe they still would have won, but Brooke would definitely have panicked)

It was clear for a while, and this episode pretty much reinforced it. London and Logan were a survive and advance team. Now, every blue moon a survive and advance team can jump up and win the final leg and the race, but that required other teams to make mistakes or an impossible task (how the goat farmers won!). L & L's most likely scenario is the one that happened. They finished third.
Old 06-06-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hated the way it ended, but I thought it was a fun season overall. Can't ever be happy when players like Brooke come in first. But that said, I would like to see them go back to casting teams that already know each other. Even if that means it being another All-Star season. Strangers was fun (and please never do the blind at thing again) but you really miss the dynamic of the two people having a history together.
Old 06-07-17, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Even though I was rooting for Logan and London since the beginning, I'm happy with the winners.

Smart move with the backpacks. That guy sure was patient and it helped the team get better during the last few legs.
Agreed, the backpack move actually won it for them, they deserved the win.. I enjoyed the season a lot
Old 06-07-17, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good season. As annoying as they were, I can't fault them for how they won. Played smart at the end. Scott should get 2/3 of the prize money for having to be Brooke's therapist as well.
Old 06-07-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that it affected anything but I thought that last challenge it was a cop out to have someone tell them if they had the numbers right. I feel like in past seasons they would have had to figure it out and go hunting the stadium not knowing if they had the numbers in the correct order.
Old 06-07-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Not that it affected anything but I thought that last challenge it was a cop out to have someone tell them if they had the numbers right. I feel like in past seasons they would have had to figure it out and go hunting the stadium not knowing if they had the numbers in the correct order.
Not always. Often there was some sort of quick check of their work. But what has happened multiple times is a team got one entry of out order and then often they would make it worse trying to find the one that was wrong. What seems to have definitely changed is that these final challenges have been a cake walk compared to the mental and physical challenge they used to be.

I agree with the previous post that says the real key was Brooke not feeling pressured. She was all but worthless when she felt the slightest bit of pressure.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-07-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Good season. As annoying as they were, I can't fault them for how they won. Played smart at the end. Scott should get 2/3 of the prize money for having to be Brooke's therapist as well.
The family and I got an enormous amount of laughs from brooke this season.. and yeah, Scott should get the lion's share of that win...