DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 5/30/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640268-americas-got-talent-nbc-season-12-thread-premieres-5-30-17-a.html)

dex14 05-30-17 07:11 AM

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 5/30/17

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....wOTI@._V1_.jpg

Following the show's most viewed season in five years where the finale came down to 13-year-old singing sensation Grace VanderWaal winning over spellbinding illusionist duo The Clairvoyants, "America's Got Talent" is back for its 12th season with creator and judge Simon Cowell, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Howie Mandel, as well as new host Tyra Banks. "America's Got Talent" has reigned as television's #1 most-watched summer alternative series for each of its 11 seasons on the air and last summer surged to its highest adult 18-49 average (a 3.0 rating) in three years and most-watched season (13.5 million viewers) in five years.

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT RETURNS WITH TYRA BANKS JOINING AS HOST The summer's hottest reality competition show, "America's Got Talent," returns with Mel B, Simon Cowell, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel and new host Tyra Banks. In the season premiere, variety acts of all types and contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win the $1 million prize. The Golden Buzzer is back giving five lucky acts the chance to go directly to the live shows at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to compete for America's vote. TV-PG

whotony 05-30-17 08:36 AM

Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 5/30/17

I think Banks already screwed up by mocking one of the children contestants.
They sued the show, not sure of that outcome but the segment has been deleted from the season.

GuessWho 05-30-17 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13084150)
They sued the show, not sure of that outcome but the segment has been deleted from the season.

Maybe we can get Jerry Springer back

Michael Corvin 05-30-17 11:49 AM

My family and I are going to miss Nick. Tyra is decent eye candy, but Nick brought heart and fun to the backstage area and made it seem effortless. He was good at standing up for the little guys/lame acts. He could poke fun without ever outright mocking them.

stopgap 05-30-17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13084150)

What an idiot (we already knew that though).

GuessWho 05-30-17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by stopgap (Post 13084291)
What an idiot

https://media.giphy.com/media/5k2aiRvLCjZwA/giphy.gif

stopgap 05-30-17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 13084392)

The show is a guilty pleasure, but she is going to make it tough to watch.

raven56706 05-30-17 03:01 PM

that mouth tho :drool:

Maxflier 05-30-17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13084286)
My family and I are going to miss Nick. Tyra is decent eye candy, but Nick brought heart and fun to the backstage area and made it seem effortless. He was good at standing up for the little guys/lame acts. He could poke fun without ever outright mocking them.

+1 Nick really was great at that job and is a huge loss to the show IMO.

Bill Needle 05-30-17 03:28 PM

The show gets over the top schmaltzy fairly regularly and I give Cannon credit for keeping it from becoming completely nauseating. I don't expect the same from Banks.

Matto1020 05-30-17 07:19 PM

Like all of you, I'll definitely miss Canon as well.

Side note, I had the opportunity to see Tape Face's show here in Chicago. It was an absolute blast, and some of his unseen skits were HILARIOUS. They had signs everywhere saying they were taping the show, so here's hoping it makes it's way to Netflix or something.

Michael Corvin 05-30-17 07:40 PM

Since TapeFace was such a crowd favorite, I'm guessing he will make a guest appearance later this summer along with Grace Vanderwaal.

Josh-da-man 05-30-17 08:46 PM

Holy shit! Puddles!

I've been a fan of his for some quite a while, ever since I saw him on youtube with PMJ.

Michael Corvin 05-30-17 09:24 PM

Yeah, I had to pull up the Royals video once he showed up. I knew he looked familiar.

General Zod 05-31-17 12:05 AM

Chicken playing piano FTW.

stopgap 05-31-17 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13084728)
Chicken playing piano FTW.

Had some stage fright at first but got through it.

whotony 05-31-17 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13084641)
Holy shit! Puddles!

I've been a fan of his for some quite a while, ever since I saw him on youtube with PMJ.

I guess we are supposed to know what PMJ is?

Anyway is so ridiculous the way thay slobber all over these ordinary magic tricks.

The guy with the table, Howie calling that close up magic. They were 100 feet away from him and that table.
And the guy with the sand. So lame.
Both these guys wouldn't make the cut on Penn and Teller's fool us.

Bill Needle 05-31-17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13085353)

(psst...speaking of, new season starts July 10)

whotony 05-31-17 09:04 PM

I probably should have said get on the stage.

July 10th. great.

The Infidel 05-31-17 09:28 PM

Okay, I just watched the clip of the guy with the coins. I don't know how he did it, and I'm not saying it's magic, obviously, but that's some next level sleight-of-hand monkey business right there. I rewound it several times, and my mind is officially blown.

Josh-da-man 05-31-17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 13085395)
Okay, I just watched the clip of the guy with the coins. I don't know how he did it, and I'm not saying it's magic, obviously, but that's some next level sleight-of-hand monkey business right there. I rewound it several times, and my mind is officially blown.

Just watched it once, but it looked like a combination of good old-fashioned sleight-of-hand, precision choreography, and a computer monitor that doubled as a tabletop.

Josh-da-man 05-31-17 10:00 PM

I guess we are supposed to know what PMJ is?

Postmodern Jukebox. They cover pop, rock, and rap songs in "vintage" styles like big band and doo-wop.

Here's a sampling:

whotony 05-31-17 10:12 PM

Ok, still don't know but I'm out of touch I guess.
I still wonder how many people know what that is just by the letters PMJ.

That coin guy was definatelyusing a monitor of some kind.

Michael Corvin 05-31-17 10:40 PM

The guy with the table, Howie calling that close up magic. They were 100 feet away from him and that table.
And the guy with the sand. So lame.

Yeah, the sand thing was kinda weak. You could see the table shift where he was. Then a partner comes by in a hat, walks behind the box where magic guy takes the hat and sledgehammer and walks out front. Cool at first glance, but nothing all that unique.

The coin thing was novel... but if it was a monitor or ipad of sorts (which makes sense) then it was pretty weak. Penn & Teller had a true coin magician on last season (?) that was fucking brilliant, doing basically the same trick with real coins. I also laughed when Howie mentioned "close up magic" being 100' away.

It's going to be tough for magicians this season coming after Dorenboss. He had some truly original and fun stuff.

All in all, an okay opening night. Nothing too memorable except for the ventriloquist bunny. Tyra looked hideous in that pant suit or whatever it was. She also added nothing to the proceedings.

Josh-da-man 06-08-17 02:52 AM

Nick Uhas, the "science guy," was on Big Brother 15. He founded "The Moving Company" alliance and got booted in the second week. The season is best remembered as the one with all of the racism.

The roller skaters had a pretty insane routine. I wonder how many knocks on the head that woman has taken perfecting their routine. :lol:

The Azeri brothers were kind of crazy. I know how the "bed of nails" stunts work, but they're still pretty cringey. The shovel in the neck was awesome. I want to see what they do next.