Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 5/30/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 5/30/17

How does that bit with the counting dog make it to air?

They didn't clearly show what was going on but my bet is the dog stops barking when she moves towards the dog to make it stop.
So it keeps barking until she stops him.
Old 06-08-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I absolutely loved the deaf girl at the end. Beautiful story and fantastic voice. Out of two episodes, she's probably my favorite.
Old 06-10-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think the magician's table was a monitor. It was definitely a trick table.
Spoiler:
That blacker-than-black material on the table and his shirt hide a lot. The coins are always in the exact same spot when they "move" from location to location. He's got rotating "holes". A mechanical device somehow holds on to the coins (probably a well-timed and rehearsed electro-magnet) and spins to pull the coin into the hole and replaces it with that same black fabric. It only needs to spin faster then a 60th of a second to not be caught by the video camera. The table wobbles like mad when ever the coins "disappear". It's the spinning device. Picture a small paddle with the coin on one side and black fabric on the other. It is spring loaded to pull down into the table and then spin and then pop back into place. It is precisely engineered to not disturb the cards on the popup.

He then moves the coins to new holes pre-loaded with plastic flower petals that pop up when the coins are flipped into those holes. The little doors are flipping counter-clockwise from our vantage point and you can see the petals move slightly left with momentum.

The disappearing cards are simple dropped into his lap. that black shirt hides whatever caught them.
Old 06-11-17, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
How does that bit with the counting dog make it to air?

They didn't clearly show what was going on but my bet is the dog stops barking when she moves towards the dog to make it stop.
So it keeps barking until she stops him.
You are 100% correct of course and I cannot believe a rational human being could not notice that almost immediately -- even with the editing trying to hide it as much as possible. The amazing part was the judges actually believing the dog is reading numbers and counting. Let me say that again: Four middle aged adult and reasonably "educated" entertainers who have travelled the world believed a dog could read numbers and count.

So they put that total nonsense through, but the blow up doll guy -- who I actually looked up from what I was doing to watch his entire act -- well, Professor Klum just doesn't get it. Not saying the guy wins the million, but at least his act wasn't a stupid parlor trick that shouldn't fool a toddler.
Old 07-01-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like I was right, but the producers used some editing tricks.
Spoiler:
The coins did spin on the table and they were too fast for human eyes to spot, but the video camera caught the spin. The producers cheated and freeze framed some of the spins to disguise them. This, I would suppose, was to give the home viewers the same experience that the live audience had.

Video gives away the trick about 5 and a half minutes into it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_dSp_f0f9gE?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-01-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not too impressed with this season so far. There are some decent acts, but no one has really come out ahead of the pack. I'm guessing I'm not alone as these threads usually have more traction that this one.
Old 07-02-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Looks like I was right, but the producers used some editing
Yeah that's some real BS. I was aware of this guy and his style of "illusion" so that doesn't surprise me in the least. At least when the shows are live they will have a tougher time helping him out with editing tricks. Otherwise I could see some real legal problems with what they did when it is the audience voting and they are manipulating what you see. I mean, how would you like to be the act that loses out to him and then you find out the show is doing this?