Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Old 08-28-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
FWIW, the original movie has been released on a 4K UHD disk.
It can be had for around $15...
Where?
Old 08-28-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post

Where?
That's what I paid a few months back.
Here is some up-to-date pricing:
DVD Price Search - Price Check (Dark Crystal, The (Anniversary Edition) (4K Ultra HD + Blu-Ray))
Looks like the price has gone up a little (probably in anticipation of the series).

Last edited by melasnus; 08-30-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Or, it could be as necessary as watching the Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie before watching the series.
Old 08-30-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Old 08-30-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm doing a quick rewatch of the movie with my wife who hadn't seen it. I like it for the nostalgia factor of the dark fantasy elements which are still pretty amazing and scary, but as a fantasy movie the story is a bit cliched and simplistic. I'm looking forward to seeing if the limited series has a story can live up to the undoubtedly great henson studios puppetry.

I stumbled upon a CinemaSins video last night that had many of the same issues and was still pretty funny:
Jen was pretty damn stupid in the movie and everyone kept ridiculing him for not knowing what he was doing and then not telling him anything themselves...I hope we've gotten past that
Old 08-30-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, the original movie is available to stream on Amazon Prime for those who want to refresh their memories and don't want to buy the disc.
Old 08-30-19, 04:05 PM

It’s on Netflix too.
Old 08-30-19, 05:08 PM

Has anyone started it? I’m curious what the final word is on whether or not being familiar with the movie is necessary.
Old 08-30-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The very beginning gives an entire summary of everything going on. If you havenít seen the movie, Iíd honestly hold off and watch the show first, then the movie. But the first few minutes of the first episode explains everything.
Old 08-30-19, 08:04 PM

I'm two episodes in. It drags a bit, but I think it's a pretty decent start. Clearly CGI has been utilized to bring some environments to life (especially outdoors), so the feel is a bit different. It's not exactly like we're back in 1982 again, but the mere fact this was done with practical puppets in 2019 is worth celebrating.

I don't care for Sigourney Weaver as the narrator. They really didn't need a name actor for that. It would have worked better if they hired a voice actor who sounded like the guy who did the opening narration to the movie. Also, I don't feel the music is very memorable. Kind of disappointing, as The Dark Crystal soundtrack is one of my favorite film scores.

This production does fall into the somewhat tired trend in recent fantasy epics: all the Gelflings have British accents (unlike Jen and Kira in the original film). Still, I like the variety of looks they've given the Gelflings: old, young, cute, homely, etc. It was also nice to see they were able to add subtle expressions in their faces to create more realistic performances.

Major props to Simon Pegg as the voice of the Chamberlain, as well as the woman voicing Aughra. Totally spot-on. I don't recognize a couple of the Skeksis they've show (like the gross one Awkwafina is voicing), so I guess they won't be making it past the final episode.

Last edited by joe_b; 08-31-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first ep. last night. Gotta give Netflix points for sinking what had to be a lot of money into a deep fantasy prequel series to a movie that has a cult following . More points for sticking with practical effects for the characters. I will join the camp in saying that all the celebrity voices seem a bit unnecessary. Best to watch this and not look up who's voicing whom as it helps you see the characters only and not think of the actor. In fact, the skeksi voice actors are doing everything they can to sound like the originals, so it makes little difference. That said, Pegg is killing it Chamberlain. I have a feeling he practiced the whimper a lot in his lifetime.
Old 09-01-19, 01:09 PM

I've made it though episode seven and will try to finish up tomorrow. I thought I'd be able to binge it all in one day, but I find myself needing to take long breaks between episodes. There is too much puppet intrigue going on for my brain to process it all in one sitting.

I know critics called the original movie "Diet Tolkien", so I guess this prequel series is more like Diet Game of Thrones. It does feel familiar and uses plenty of well-worn fantasy tropes, but the writing is still compelling. I find myself connecting to Brea and Deet (less so for Rian) a bit more than Jen and Kira because their personalities feel more distinct.

Honestly, I think Jim Henson would have been proud to see what his daughter and the crew achieved with this production. I'd be curious to hear Frank Oz's thoughts on it. I know he didn't participate in this and also wanted nothing to do with the proposed "The Power of the Dark Crystal" sequel when it was being developed, feeling it was unnecessary (I believe "Why?" was his answer to an interviewer who asked his thoughts on it).

This is really more of a fleshing out of the world/culture Henson and co. created. More complex than the simple fairy tale story they told in 1982, but still a nice companion piece that was clearly created with lots of care and admiration by those involved.

One little gripe/observation: Kira's fuzzy pet is called Fizzgig. According to this series, Fizzgig is the name of the entire species. It would be the human equivalent of getting a puppy and simply naming it "Dog". She was raised by Podlings, so maybe she didn't know any better.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-01-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you watched Good Omens? And the dog adopted by the Antichrist literally named Dog?
Old 09-02-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched the first episode yesterday and it was a visual feast but way too fucking dense. I am not compelled enough to binge through it, though.
Old 09-02-19, 03:20 PM

About the finale:

Spoiler:
As a ten hour prequel (an embarrassment of riches for this Dark Crystal fan), I just assumed the series would be a one-off and lead right into the film. I didn't expect them to leave any dangling plot threads for another season, but it's now clear that's their plan. I'm certainly down for more, so hopefully the viewership justifies a renewal. If not (considering how expensive this show looks), maybe they can at least produce a Gelfling genocide movie to bridge things. Y'know, quality family entertainment.
Netflix also released an 80-minute making of special. It goes over how the Henson Company was shopping this project around as an animated series before the Netflix execs suggested they just do it with traditional puppets instead.

The creative team first attempted a hybrid approach. They made a test in 2016 featuring a puppet Skeksis chasing a CGI Gelfling character that looked like it jumped right out of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon. Thank god common sense prevailed and they went with the all puppet approach.

Sometimes the old ways are best. Gives me hope that one day the Disney company will wise up and start producing hand-drawn animated fairy tales again.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-02-19 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 09-08-19, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m 2 episodes in and really enjoying it. If the show doesn’t win multiple Emmys for visual FX it will be a crime. I agree that the name actors were totally unnecessary, and Simon Pegg is great as the Chamberlin. First thing I thought to myself when I heard the Gelfling speak was, “Why do the Gelfling have British accents?” Totally unnecessary.

Edit- I finished it. It was wonderful. Probably the best thing on Netflix and one of the most creative shows on TV in years.

Be sure to watch The Crystal Calls making of documentary right after.

Last edited by Eric F; 09-09-19 at 03:43 PM.