Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you burned out/struggling to keep up with the comic/super hero genre?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Are you burned out/struggling to keep up with the comic/super hero genre?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Are you burned out/struggling to keep up with the comic/super hero genre?

No. I only watch a handful of them that I am interested in, and frankly don't care about the rest one way or the other. They've also done a good job of making most of them feel varied enough that it generally doesn't feel like the same show over and over just with a different name, unlike most of the lawyer dramas, or medical shows, or episodic cop shows or whatever. I mean, no one is going to confuse Walking Dead for Supergirl, or Legion for Gotham, or Preacher for Agents of SHIELD.

Really, I think we are pretty blessed to have so many great options for us comic nerds and there's enough variety that we have stuff for basically every type of fan out there.
Old 05-17-17, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am struggling to keep up with TV period. There is so much great content out there, it is hard to watch em all. In addition to watching live sports and playing games, there is not enough hours to consume everything.
Old 05-17-17, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm getting there. I still love Arrow, but I kind of lost interest in Supergirl this season with all the romantic subplots. Flash has been OK but I really wish they'd ditch the constant darkness; Legends was great cheesy fun IMHO and SHIELD had an excellent year. But I never watched Legion, could care less about Gifted; gave up on Gotham after series 1; and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the genre at the moment -- something I wouldn't have believed a few years ago!
Old 05-17-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I was a kid in the 70's I read a lot of comics and thought it would be great if a lot of them were made into TV shows or movies. Now that it's happened I'm not complaining at all. I may not be watching all of them but I'm glad my wish is finally here.
Old 05-17-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I say no, and the reason has already been given. I don't feel the need to watch every comic book show, and in fact watch very few. So far i have watched Legion, the four Netflix shows, Preacher (which was a waste of time for the most part), and started American Gods. I did start watching Agents of Shield, but i thought i would wait for the whole show to end and then get the box-set and work through them. I have totally avoided the DC shows as they look far too much like Smallville type fodder with Villains of the Week episodes. I am sure some of them might be good, but my time is more precious to me than watching every show in the hopes they are all home runs.

Anything else like Lucifer, iZombie or Walking Dead i don't bother with. I started watching the Walking Dead, but again might head back to it once it comes to an end.
Old 05-17-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Without a doubt I am. I've dropped pretty much everything except The Walking Dead and even that's on the brink after last years season.
Old 05-17-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The only one we still watch is The Flash and Arrow, and Arrow is loading up our DVR.

We tried to watch all the CW ones, but it's just too much, so we're only sticking with the ones we're invested in. The Arrow foray into magic has made it a little less interesting to us.
Old 05-17-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I bailed on Walking Dead after 4 or 5 seasons.
Ah, I forgot that I bailed on TWD this season. I watched the first episode and said "This is like the comic." And then I said "Why am I watching this?" It's not like I have the hots for Darrell and need to watch the show, so I dropped it and haven't looked back.
Old 05-17-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just trying to keep up with Netflix shows at this point, given up on TV stuff...
Old 05-17-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix
Walking Dead.

That's it so no.
Old 05-17-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hell NO I'm not burned out. I've been waiting for this since I was a kid. Good Comic book shows that share their universe(DC shows), shows that cater to horror comicfans(The Walking Dead,Lucifer), MATURE Comic book shows geared towards Adult viewers (Marvel Netflix shows).

I Love all this and don't see myself burning out anytime soon.
Old 05-17-17, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're tiring of the writers (Flash and Arrow feel like their plots are dragged out for the season, Supergirl w plot holes) but not all of the material. We'll give some of the new ones a try.
Old 05-17-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not yet. And probably partially because I don't think of many of these as shows that fit the label (despite the fact that they do given the source material obviously exists). I've never read so many of the comics these are based on so many might as well just be brand new stories (to me) that fit into the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

What we are sick of is just shows that are the same old procedurals, just with different characters/actors. Just way to predictable and bland.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-17-17 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
I am struggling to keep up with TV period. There is so much great content out there, it is hard to watch em all. In addition to watching live sports and playing games, there is not enough hours to consume everything.
One really has to pick and choose what they are able to watch because there is so much on these days. Of course there is still that person that says "TV is so bad now days" I'm only thinking, No, not really. The last few years has been some of the best TV ever.
Old 05-17-17, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quit Lucifer and Gotham after season 1, don't watch the Netflix shows, I am burned out on Walking Dead and CW shows though Flash and Arrow are finishing strong and Legends had a decent season. Legion is unlike anything else on TV and is great.
Old 05-17-17, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not burned out, but so backlogged it is ridiculous. I crave the content honestly and take every show I can find. Problem is, there is not even close to enough hours in the day so I've become pickier and pickier as time goes on.

One example (but not alone)...but I am so behind on Gotham and Arrow, it is ridiculous. But yet, the past two Xmas and I'm sure this one as well, what do you want? The latest season of Gotham and Arrow...just because it's an easy thing to say. (and on sale). *sigh*
Old 05-17-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

While there is a comic book called Lucifer, the TV series literally didn't take a single thing from it other than the idea of the devil living in L.A. and using its name.

I make a huge distinction between comic book and superhero material on TV. As a big superhero fan, shows like The Walking Dead and Preacher hold much less promise for me. They get much less rope from me if they start getting poor.

I did find it a chore watching Powerless at times, which was a weak sitcom that only made it to air because it was set in the world of DC heroes. We are now seeing a secondary wave of less-than-inspired superhero fare. Networks think they can take any TV formula and spruce it up by adding familiar comic book brands.
Old 05-17-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
While there is a comic book called Lucifer, the TV series literally didn't take a single thing from it other than the idea of the devil living in L.A. and using its name.
It took other things from the comic, but not anything relevant to the plot. Mainly names and such, like Amenadiel, which I believe was an original creation of the comic, and not traceable to any biblical source.
Old 05-17-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm only really attached to Gotham, Legends of Tomorrow, Riverdale (which I don't really see in the same realm even though it's based on comics) and Daredevil. Supergirl and Flash are ok, but they are growing tiresome to me. I dumped Agents of Shield long ago.
Old 05-17-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix
Walking Dead.

That's it so no.
Exact same shows for me. I'm not sure why I should feel an obligation to watch stuff that doesn't interest me. I'll probably check out Luke Cage but I'm in no hurry.

And I only (still) watch The Walking Dead because of a few characters. Enid? Rosita? And all the other crap/useless characters get the "fast-forward treatment."
Old 05-17-17, 04:56 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm find with the choice and abundance of this genre

I am a bit more picky with what i watch, before i would try watch everything

If something hasn't totally grabbed me after a few eps i'll kick it to the curb (e.g. izombie and Legion)
Old 05-17-17, 05:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I got burned out on the movies after Iron Man 2. I've never even watched the tv shows. Way too much to keep up with.
Old 05-18-17, 01:12 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I gave up on them all a long time ago and made a similar thread but it was too early I was roundly derided. I did watch Legion though which was pretty terrific.
Old 05-18-17, 08:38 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I got burned out on the movies after Iron Man 2. I've never even watched the tv shows. Way too much to keep up with.
I'm pretty much the same way. I have a hard time keeping up with Iron Man, Captain America and X-Men - let alone all the rest that have come out the past several years.

Regarding TV, if it's a quality show - comic related or not - and is something that looks interesting to me, I'll seek it out. Of the ones listed, the only shows I'm actively watching are The Walking Dead, Legion and Outcast. I'm sure there are others in the list that are good shows, they're just up against, well, other good shows on my list.
Old 05-18-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

No, since the only ones I watch are Legion and the Netflix shows (Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage). Excited about The Defenders and The Punisher.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.