Absentia (Amazon) -- FBI Crime thriller starring Stana Katic

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-10-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Promo images:

Absentia centers on an FBI agent (Stana Katic) who, while hunting one of Boston’s most notorious serial killers, disappears without a trace and is declared dead. Six years later, she is found in a cabin in the woods, barely alive and with no memory of the years she was missing. Returning home to learn her husband (Patrick Heusinger) has remarried and her son is being raised by another woman, she soon finds herself implicated in a new series of murders.

This received a 10 episode straight to series order last year. It's currently being filmed.

Apparently this will air on the Sony AXN Networks overseas 1st.

No U.S. network has officially picked this up yet. But, I read a rumor that it may air on Crackle, which is good and bad. It's free, but is ad supported with lots of commercials. I hope it does air on TV.

http://tvline.com/content/stana-kati...o-tv-festival/

It's getting a big promotional push at the Monte Carlo TV festival. Hopefully that means a U.S. TV network picks it up.

I love Stana Katic and the premise does sound cool.
Old 05-10-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts
re: Absentia (Amazon) -- FBI Crime thriller starring Stana Katic

I will check it out if it ever hits the US. I don't mind commercials on free streaming services. I usually try not to complain about free stuff.

And as always, have to support the 24 alum! and if anyone is into the autograph hobby, she responds to fan mail.
Old 05-10-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully she will be nicer to the crew than was reported on the Castle set for years.
Old 07-05-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

1st teaser.

Still no U.S. Network yet.

That Crackle rumor was apparently false.
Old 07-06-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to recall that on Castle, he went looking for someone, went missing for a year, was found alive in bad shape, had no memory of where he had been for that time. Surely they could have come up with a slightly better story line to run with.
Old 07-27-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

New trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fc6agMcjfWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This actually looks pretty good. Hope a decent network picks this up. I think it's bound for cable or streaming. It doesn't look like a show that will air on a major network.
Old 07-27-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I am intrigued. It is an interesting premise. Though it does seem a tad familiar at this point. I enjoyed her in Castle, but I think it was the interplay between her and Filion that made it work so well for me. I am curious to see how she does on her own. Hopefully we will get to see this on US TV.
Old 11-15-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

U.S. rights picked up by Amazon. Will premiere in 2018: http://deadline.com/2017/11/stana-ka...on-1202208548/
Old 01-09-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ebZleBP_ab4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All 10 episodes will premiere February 2nd.
Old 01-09-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Despite the premiere being only about 3 weeks away this doesn’t seem to getting any advertising on Amazon. I would not have known this is an upcoming Prime series without this thread.
Old 01-09-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by randian
Despite the premiere being only about 3 weeks away this doesn’t seem to getting any advertising on Amazon. I would not have known this is an upcoming Prime series without this thread.
Yeah there is been no promotion (aside from the Amazon YouTube promo)

I assume it's because Amazon got it cheap and decided to not spend any significant money to promote it. The show was made for Foreign audiences even though it takes place in the U.S., so I'm betting the overseas money has already paid for it.

I've seen the 1st 4 episodes. Won't spoil anything, but it's a very dark show. Definitely R rated material. It's a pretty big departure for Stana from playing Beckett on Castle.
Old 01-10-18, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I’ll give this a try for Katic.
Old 02-01-18, 01:06 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts
Re: Absentia (Amazon) -- FBI Crime thriller starring Stana Katic

On Friday, February 2, Amazon will premiere all ten episodes of original dramatic series Absentia, starring and executive produced by Castle's Stana Katic, on Prime Video. This marks Katic's first leading television role since Castle, which she won a People's Choice Award for in 2016 for Favorite TV Crime Drama Actress. Absentia centers on FBI agent Emily Byrne (Katic). While hunting one of Boston's most notorious serial killers, Agent Byrne disappears without a trace and is declared dead. Six years later, Emily is found in a cabin in the woods, barely alive, and with no memory of the years she was missing. Returning home to learn her husband has remarried and her son is being raised by another woman, she soon finds herself implicated in a new series of murders. Absentia also stars Patrick Heusinger (Jack Reacher: Never Go Back) as Emily's husband and fellow FBI agent Nick who struggles with the guilt that he stopped looking for Emily, and his feelings for her that have resurfaced - especially now that he's married to another woman. Nick is now tasked with the unthinkable: having to bring Emily into custody as the prime suspect in a string of shocking new murders. Forced to prove her innocence, Emily goes on the run. But the closer Emily gets to answers, the more she puts herself and her family in danger. Can she prove her innocence before it is too late and discover the truth about her abduction? In addition to Katic and Heusinger, other cast members include Cara Theobold (Downton Abbey), Neil Jackson (Sleepy Hollow), Angel Bonanni (False Flag), Richard Brake (Game of Thrones), Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones), Paul Freeman (The Dogs of War), Bruno Bichir (Narcos) and Patrick McAuley (The Conjuring 2).
Old 02-01-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. We’ll have to try and start watching it this weekend!
Old 02-03-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

We watched the pilot and enjoyed it. Very suspenseful! Only knock would be that the trailer gave away too much, which it didn’t need to given the main plot. Took some wind out of the pilots sails. Aside from that I’d have liked the pilot to have more of a passage of time montoage. A few things seemed to happen too quick.

Still, plan to watch more!
Old 02-05-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

The new wife isn't smart.

The 1st ep didn't really hook me but the 2nd ep was good. Pretty suspenseful. Will watch it all.
Old 02-06-18, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk God

An interesting note to mention. The show is set in Boston, but is shot entirely on location in Bulgaria.

I like how Stana’s character here is nothing at all like Kate Beckett. Emily is kinda weak and very vulnerable.

The new bitter wife is kind of annoying.
Old 02-07-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

You can tell this is a foreign production. There is some terrible dubbing and occasionally an English speaker with horrible, broken English.
Old 02-07-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
You can tell this is a foreign production. There is some terrible dubbing and occasionally an English speaker with horrible, broken English.
yeah i think there's some weird rule with like SAG on foreign productions. Like you can only bring 3 or 4 american actors &everyone else has to be either locals or from other countries
Old 02-07-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Patrick Heusinger (the husband) is the only American among the principal cast. Stana is Canadian and most of the rest are British.
Old 02-10-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick Heusinger exhibits some of the worst constantly-furrowed-brow-whisper-acting in this that I’ve ever seen. Makes even the most generic of CW actors (most of whom specialize in whisper acting) look like Daniel Day Lewis.

Katic and the rest of the cast is solid, though.
Old 02-12-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Finished it. Sort of a let down. Would have been a better twist if the person behind it was more involved in the story throughout. Having them only mentioned and then revealed at the end was weak. I would probably watch season 2 if there was one because my wife liked it, buy I wouldn't be heartbroken of this doesn't come back.
Old 03-12-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2018/03/stana-ka...al-1202326942/

Absentia may get multi-season renewal at Prime Video.
Old 03-12-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. I wonder if this did well with women and that is why they are picking it up.
Old 03-13-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Horrid acting. Pretty suspenseful. Like some mentioned here it seems the females enjoy it more as my girlfriend liked it way more than I did. It was OK. Won't watch if it comes back.

Last edited by d2cheer; 03-13-18 at 08:22 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.