Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

Old 10-31-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

It seems that they just had more faith in House of the Dragon and it didn’t make any since to have 2 series starting around the same time.
Old 10-31-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I really think that ideal sequel series should be an anthology like American Horror Story.

Each season would cover a different storyline in Known World mythology.

For example, season one might cover the War of the Usurper, the next could be the Dance of Dragons, the third would be the Age of Heroes, the fourth might cover the Doom of Valyeria. And so on.
Old 01-15-20, 05:37 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

During today’s Television Critics Association winter press tour, HBO’s head of programming, Casey Bloys, said that House of the Dragon, the network’s first big Game of Thrones prequel series, is expected to debut sometime in 2022. Bloys explained why he gave a series order to that show but passed on Jane Goldman’s series last year, and he also provided a Watchmen season 2 update. Read his comments below.

Last October, HBO surprised us when the network announced it was handing out a 10-episode, straight-to-series order for House of the Dragon, a Game of Thrones prequel series which follows the members of House Targaryen 300 years before the events of the main show. The show is based on author George R.R. Martin‘s Fire and Blood, and Martin co-created this show alongside Ryan Condal (Colony) and frequent GOT director Miguel Sapochnik.

The surprising part was that this show was given such a robust order when a separate pilot, which had been in development for years from writer Jane Goldman, was passed over. Here’s what Bloys told The Hollywood Reporter about the factors that went into that decision:

“One of the things that I think Jane did beautifully — and it was a big challenge that she took on — which was there was a lot of world invention because she set her pilot 8,000 years before the current show. It required a lot of thinking about what would it look like back then — how would people talk and relate to each other and what was the mythology underneath? — it was a really big swing. … I would not point to one thing and say, ‘This or that totally missed’; sometimes pilots gel and sometimes they don’t and that’s just the process. So when we looked at House of the Dragon, one of the advantages it had, was it had text from George R.R. Martin and had the Targaryen history. There was a bit more of a roadmap. It was an easier decision to say, ‘Alright, let’s go straight to series.’ It wasn’t like there was anything glaringly wrong about the pilot; it’s just sometimes these things click and sometimes they don’t.”
https://www.slashfilm.com/watchmen-s...qDmAWJUDOlxxVQ
Old 01-15-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

That is a totally fair explanation of the decision. Wonder why it took two months for thst to be said.
Old 10-05-20, 05:27 PM

‘House Of the Dragon’: Paddy Considine To Star As King Viserys Targaryen In HBO’s ‘Game Of Thrones’ Prequel

https://deadline.com/2020/10/house-o...234591696/amp/
Old 10-05-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
‘House Of the Dragon’: Paddy Considine To Star As King Viserys Targaryen In HBO’s ‘Game Of Thrones’ Prequelhttps://deadline.com/2020/10/house-o...234591696/amp/
I've been (sort of) watching The Third Day and enjoy his work in that.
Old 12-11-20, 02:52 PM

HBO has set three more House of the Dragon leads as Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith and Emma D’Arcy have joined Paddy Considine in the straight-to-series Game of Thrones prequel from George R.R. Martin, Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik.

I hear the series has five lead characters: King Viserys Targaryen (Considine), Alicent Hightower (Cooke), Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (D’Arcy), Prince Daemon Targaryen (Smith) as well as Lord Corlys Velaryon, known as the Sea Snake, who becomes Hand to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons.

That last key role is still being cast; I hear Danny Sapani (Penny Dreadful) is in currently in talks for it.

Additionally, HBO has tapped Clare Kilner, Geeta Patel and Greg Yaitanes to round out the series’ directing team.

Based on Martin’s Fire & Blood, the series, which is set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones, tells the story of House Targaryen.

In the 10-episode first season, Cooke plays Alicent Hightower, the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen.

D’Arcy’s Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen is the king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything… but she was not born a man.

Smith is Prince Daemon Targaryen, younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air…

House of the Dragon was co-created by Martin and Condal. The pilot script that landed the series order was written by Condal. He serves as co-showrunner alongside GoT veteran Miguel Sapochnik, who will direct the pilot and additional episodes.

Martin, Condal and Sapochnik executive produce alongside writer Sara Lee Hess, Vince Gerardis and Ron Schmidt. Yaitanes co-executive produces.
Old 12-12-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Meh I think the other one sounded more interesting. I get a feeling Martin made a fuss about his show not being selected so they canned the other. This will just feel like fan fiction GOT with different actors. I would be shocked if it is not as bad as the last couple of seasons were. But it is safer.
Old 12-12-20, 02:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

it still boggles my mind how the showrunners opted to rush the fuck out of this show.
Old 01-06-21, 05:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I loved Game of Thrones, I am not a fan of the way it ended but it's a personal opinion. I guess the only way they can continue with the whole idea is only in a spinoff style.
Old 01-14-21, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Game of Thrones seems to have killed its own cultural relevance with a widely hated final season. How many long-running, serialized dramas have nailed the landing besides The Shield? There are very, very few.
Old 01-15-21, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Game of Thrones seems to have killed its own cultural relevance with a widely hated final season. How many long-running, serialized dramas have nailed the landing besides The Shield? There are very, very few.
I'm pretty sure the last season would have received better reactions if they hadn't shown the same storylines in a longer season. So many story arcs had been rushed and therefore written below standard.

The Shield is definitely the gold standard for an ending, Breaking Bad had a pretty strong ending as well.
Old 01-15-21, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hmm... besides The Shield? Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Six Feet Under. Smallville too, although the show fell apart in the last few seasons.

Oh, and St. Elsewhere. YES, WITH THE SNOWGLOBE
Old 01-21-21, 01:35 PM

A series adaptation of “Tales of Dunk and Egg,” a prequel to the events of “Game of Thrones,” is in early development at HBO, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

The one-hour show would be based on the series of fantasy novellas by George R. R. Martin, which follow the adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall (Dunk) and a young Aegon V Targaryen (Egg) 90 years prior to the events of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

Martin has published three novellas in the “Tales of Dunk and Egg” series to date: “The Hedge Knight” in 1998, “The Sworn Sword” in 2003, and “The Mystery Knight” in 2010. The three novellas were then collected and published together as “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” in 2015.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I want a Dunk and Egg Prequel. They can go around Westros getting into adventures and solving problems/crime. I hope this gets developed.
Old 01-28-21, 09:41 AM

The next Game of Thrones chapter could be animated.

An animated Game of Thrones drama is in the early stages of development at HBO Max, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Meetings with writers for the adult-leaning project, which would be similar in tone to HBO's Emmy-winning flagship, are already under way. No deals have been made and there's still a possibility that the animated series never comes to fruition.

Reps for HBO Max declined comment.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...r_breakingnews
Old 01-28-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I fear they burned the house down with season eight.

Does anyone realize how badly they fucked the franchise up with those six episodes? Hardly anybody is asking when George R. R. will finish the series.

I thought the concept of the first spin-off, that took place during the Age of Heroes or Long Night, sounded like the most interesting. But they killed it.

I don't really think an animated series would work for the Game of Thrones franchise. It's just too rooted in realism.
Old 01-28-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I liked the Dunk and Egg stories, so I wouldn't mind seeing them adapted into a series. I'm not really interested in an animated show for this property though.
Old 01-28-21, 02:52 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I fear they burned the house down with season eight.

Does anyone realize how badly they fucked the franchise up with those six episodes? Hardly anybody is asking when George R. R. will finish the series.

I thought the concept of the first spin-off, that took place during the Age of Heroes or Long Night, sounded like the most interesting. But they killed it.

I don't really think an animated series would work for the Game of Thrones franchise. It's just too rooted in realism.
I can't say I'm that pumped for a GoT prequel given how badly they rushed and botched the final season. It was so clumsily written, it still has a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 01-28-21, 03:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

There is only one thing we say when HBO wants us to watch another show based on a book series Martin will never finish

Old 02-11-21, 01:29 PM

Old 03-18-21, 06:43 PM

Old 03-19-21, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

None of those sound terribly interesting.

Don't give a shit about Flea Bottom; it's probably best seen in small doses.

The Nymeria one sounds the most interesting, but I think it would probably work best as a tv movie or miniseries.

The Sea Snake, I don't know about. There are still unexplored areas like Ulthos and Sothryos, so it might be fun to travel around the Known World. But I'm not sure how you make a full series out of it.

But after the shitshow Game of Thrones devolved into by the end, my interest in anything more to do with it is quite low.
Old 03-19-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

This all feels like "too much GoT" material... like TWD.
Old 03-19-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
This all feels like "too much GoT" material... like TWD.
At least in this case it will be three (or more) years since the original ended before the first spin-off arrives. I still have a "believe it when I see it" feeling about these.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.