Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
re: Game of Thrones spinoffs discussion - News, rumors, etc.

The spinoff with Naomi Watts won't be going forward:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/game-of...ts-1202771609/
Old 10-29-19, 02:18 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

WOW! That is very surprising.
Old 10-29-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Probably a smart move by HBO. Enough viewers felt burned by the last season that simply slapping the Game of Thrones name on a generic fantasy series won't ensure instant success.
Old 10-29-19, 07:04 PM

As one Game of Thrones prequel dies, another rises from the ashes.

HBO announced Tuesday that its GoT prequel project about the Targaryen civil war has officially received a full series order.

The title: House of the Dragon.

Moreover, Emmy-winning GoT director Miguel Sapochnik will serve as co-showrunner. Sapochnik directed the episodes “Battle of the Bastards,” “Hardhome” and “The Long Night.”

The announcement comes just hours after news broke that the network’s first GoT prequel project from showrunner Jane Goldman starring Naomi Watts (unofficial working title: The Long Night) was not moving forward.

The new prequel is written by Ryan Condal (Colony), who will also be a showrunner, and was originally developed by GoT writer-producer Bryan Cogman along with author George R.R. Martin. The project is based on Martin’s 2019 book Fire and Blood, a history of House Targaryen that spans roughly 150 years. Like the other prequel, the story takes place long before the events in GoT, but not nearly as far back as the Goldman project (a couple hundred years before Ned Stark and Daenerys Targaryen, give or take). So Westeros will look different than it is in Game of Thrones, but not too dramatically different based on what Martin has written about the era.

The new prequel also takes place during a time in Westeros that has plenty of dramatic established history penned by Martin to serve as a backbone for a story, whereas the pilot only had some vague references to build on.

The events in the new series will eventually lead up to The Dance of the Dragons, a massive civil war in the Seven Kingdoms held between two rival branches of House Targaryen.

The prequel order is the latest in a dramatic succession of Game of Thrones-related news over the last 24 hours. On Monday, Lucasfilm announced GoT showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss (who opted not to be involved in the prequels) are stepping away from their planned Star Wars trilogy. Then the Goldman project — which shot a full pilot in Northern Ireland this summer — was scrapped. Now HBO’s other prequel has lept from development into an official order.

The news was announced at WarnerMedia’s presentation to investors on Tuesday focused on the launch of its 2020 streaming service HBO Max.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/29/game-of-thrones-targaryen-prequel-ordered-hbo/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=link&utm_term=0400EE60-FAA8-11E9-AAC5-A0F7FCA12A29&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&fbclid=IwAR0hsMHRPnBeR43ShRqXC-NSH0ThplZKbAxjxqYDIUELOcUmZ9Pbpv5EzHI
Old 10-29-19, 07:08 PM

Old 10-29-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I think the final season of Game of Thrones really poisoned the chalice on the franchise.

The situation is so bad that it seems like a lot of people don't even care whether or not GRRM finishes the final two books. I've noticed a significant drop in the amount of discussion (snark or sincere) about Martin finishing the series.

If "House of the Dragon" actually makes it to the air, I doubt it will get a second season.
Old 10-29-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the final season of Game of Thrones really poisoned the chalice on the franchise.

The situation is so bad that it seems like a lot of people don't even care whether or not GRRM finishes the final two books. I've noticed a significant drop in the amount of discussion (snark or sincere) about Martin finishing the series.

If "House of the Dragon" actually makes it to the air, I doubt it will get a second season.
Honestly, that’s how I feel. The last season was so bad I don’t have the energy to dedicate to another GoT series. And even if by some miracle it’s a quality series, I don’t know if I want to commit to a new series just to have it shit the bed in the end...again.
Old 10-29-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Give me a fucking break. The last season of GoT was a huge rating smash and by the way won the Emmy for Best Dramatic Series. This will be a hit just like that was - - maybe not as big but that take is just absurd. I am so sick of people bitching about the final season.
Old 10-29-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

The final season may have been a ratings smash, but it was pretty much universally hated for completely shitting the bed in every regard.
Old 10-29-19, 10:12 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The new prequel also takes place during a time in Westeros that has plenty of dramatic established history penned by Martin to serve as a backbone for a story, whereas the pilot only had some vague references to build on.

The events in the new series will eventually lead up to The Dance of the Dragons, a massive civil war in the Seven Kingdoms held between two rival branches of House Targaryen.
Sounds like a much better premise than the series that was axed.
Old 10-29-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
The final season may have been a ratings smash, but it was pretty much universally hated for completely shitting the bed in every regard.
The whole conclusion, after Dani arrived in Westeros, felt rushed. They had too many ongoing plot threads to compress down into thirteen episodes. For six seasons, the show did a mostly slow burn with a lot of character development. Then Dani arrives in Westeros, and the final act of the series just felt like they checking the boxes they needed to before packing up their toys and putting them away.

Saying the ratings for the final season were strong doesn't mean people liked the way it ended.
Old 10-29-19, 11:51 PM

Saying the ratings for the final season were strong doesn't mean people liked the way it ended.
It does mean that people would still continue watch the show in large numbers even if they were feeling disappointed in the final season.

Saying people didn't like the way it ended doesn't mean another property from the same IP is destined to fail.
Old 10-29-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game_of_thrones/s08

The final season of GOT was the worst scored on RT

56% and only 32% of viewers liked it.
Old 10-30-19, 01:18 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree with this. I have read all the GOT books twice, yet I have no interest in reading one again, old or new, and no interest in the new show. From the Showrunners comments seems like they didnt even like it themselves.
Old 10-30-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I was more interested in the Naomi Watts prequel.

blah
Old 10-30-19, 10:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole conclusion, after Dani arrived in Westeros, felt rushed. They had too many ongoing plot threads to compress down into thirteen episodes. For six seasons, the show did a mostly slow burn with a lot of character development. Then Dani arrives in Westeros, and the final act of the series just felt like they checking the boxes they needed to before packing up their toys and putting them away.

You would think with GOT being HBO's huge cash cow, they would have handled that season with kid gloves. Mistakes like the water bottles in such a massive production just seems like everyone was tired and wanted to wrap it up quickly. They were given two years to develop the shortest season and it was crap compared to the other seasons. I don't get it.
Old 10-30-19, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
I was more interested in the Naomi Watts prequel.

blah
The pilot must have been awful if they shot it and still pulled the plug. I have to admire HBO for having the courage to say "We aren't going forward with this, it's a sunk cost now" rather than try and salvage a show that wasn't up to their high standards.

dex : Any chance of it ever seeing the light of day?
Old 10-30-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like to see the "Long Night" pilot, too.

I doubt it will ever see the light of day unless it ends up leaked and pirated.

There might be a very slim chance it might get released as supplement on the season eight blu-ray or the complete series blu-ray set, or even a store exclusive disc. I wouldn't count on it, though.

I wonder if any details will leak out. The other day I was thinking it might be interesting if Naomi Watts was playing Lan the Clever.
Old 10-30-19, 11:40 AM

The original GoT pilot, with a different Daenerys, never saw the light of day, did it?
Old 10-30-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'm surprised that HBO cancelled the already shot prequel Pilot. I thought that was practically a lock for pickup. Usually Pilots are the most expensive episodes of the entire series and you figure they probably spent a good chunk of money on it. It was either terrible or just too expensive to make for a 1st year show.
Old 10-30-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

100% agree - I have no intention of even finishing out my Blu-ray collection of the series. Game of Thrones is most often compared to Lost these days when I see it mentioned - a once-beloved show that fell apart during its final season and angered many fans.

Old 10-30-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll not post a direct spoiler here, but I wonder if the person who ends up as the "King" at the end of HBO's Game of Thrones is the same one Martin was planning on having at the conclusion of A Song of Ice and Fire.

That was such a bizarre, left field decision for the series to make when the idea wasn't really developed or foreshadowed. It felt like they just pulled a name out of a hat and went with it. I can maybe see Martin's books leading in that direction, though, but his series is only partially finished -- particularly that particular character's arc.

One thing that grates (spoiled for people who haven't seen the final season of Game of Thrones, who may be waiting on the blu-rays or whatever)...

Spoiler:
Is that the fact Jon Snow was the product of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, and the rightful heir to throne, had minimal impact on the story. It's a secret that was kept for decades in the show's timeline, still hasn't been revealed in the books, and was a bombshell in season six that turned out to be a big nothingburger is baffling storytelling. It's a Chekov's gun that never gets fired.

It makes me not trust this universe to play fair from a storytelling point of view. Hopefully Martin can make more sense out of this plot point, but if his final book resembles the series, it will be a colossal letdown.

In hindsight, it was a huge blunder on Martin's part to let the tv series finish his story for him. (But he came out of it richer than a Lannister, so who am I to judge, I guess.)
Old 10-31-19, 10:21 AM

The dragons are coming… back.

Last night in Hollywood at the WarnerMedia Day, HBO made it official. We have a green light for a GAME OF THRONES successor show… not just a pilot, but a full season order for ten episodes. HOUSE OF THE DRAGON is the title of the new show, and needless to say it will be centered on House Targaryen, set a couple of centuries before the events of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE and based upon Archmaester Gyldayn’s imaginary history FIRE & BLOOD.

The new series will be helmed by a couple of great showrunners: RYAN CONDAL and MIGUEL SAPOCHNIK.

Miguel’s name will be well known to every GAME OF THRONES fan. One of the hottest directors in television today, he directed five episodes for GOT, and won an Emmy and a DGA Award for his work on “Battle of the Bastards.” Sapochnik will be directing the pilot… well, maybe it is more precise to call it “the first episode”… of HOUSE OF THE DRAGON, and doubtless a number of other episodes as well. There’s no one better.

Ryan Condal is new to Westeros, but not to me. I first met Ryan when he came to New Mexico to shoot a pilot for a fantasy western that was not picked up. I visited his set and we became friendly. Later Ryan created and served as showrunner for the SF series COLONY, and we had the honor of doing a premiere screening for the show at the Jean Cocteau. He’s a terrific writer… and a fan of my books since well before we met. He tells me that he discovered the series just after A STORM OF SWORDS was published, and “I’ve loved the books for 19 years.” (He is also a huge fan of my Dunk & Egg stories. In fact, that was the show he wanted to do initially, but I’m not prepared to bring Dunk & Egg to television until I’ve written quite a few more stories). Working with Ryan on the development of HOUSE OF THE DRAGON has been a dream.

The news is all over the internet by now, of course, so I won’t rehash the basics here. But you can find good, informed accounts on a number of websites. Check here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-order-1250974

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/30/house-o...ragon-thrones/

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON has been in development for several years (though the title has changed a couple of times during that process). It was actually the first concept I pitched to HBO when we started talking about a successor show, way back in the summer of 2016. If you’d like to know a bit more of what the show will be about… well, I can’t actually spill those beans, but you might want to pick up a copy of two anthologies I did with Gardner Dozois, DANGEROUS WOMEN and ROGUES, and then move on to Archmaester Gyldayn’s history, FIRE & BLOOD.

(For the autograph collectors among you, signed copies of all these books are available via mail order from the bookshop at my Jean Cocteau Cinema, https://jeancocteaucinema.com/shop/ )

Ryan Condal has already done a considerable amount of writing on HOUSE OF THE DRAGON, but a lot of work remains ahead of us. There’s a writer’s room to be assembled, episodes to be broken down and scripted, a cast and crew to be assembled, budgets and production details to be worked out. As yet, we don’t even know where we will be shooting… though I expect we will revisit at least some of the countries David & Dan used for GAME OF THRONES (Ireland, Iceland, Scotland, Croatia, Morocco, Malta, and Spain). I expect to be involved in all of this to some extent… and, who knows, if things work out, I may even be able to script a few episodes, as I did for the first four seasons of GAME OF THRONES.

But… let me make this perfectly clear… I am not taking on any scripts until I have finished and delivered WINDS OF WINTER. Winter is still coming, and WINDS remains my priority, as much as I’d love to write an episodes of HOUSE.

As exciting as the series order is, I would be remiss if I did not also mention the bad news. HBO also announced that it has decided not to proceed with the other successor show we had in development, the one I kept calling THE LONG NIGHT (though it was, and remains, officially untitled), the pilot for which was shot in Northern Ireland last spring and summer. Set thousands of years before either GAME OF THRONES or HOUSE OF THE DRAGON, and centered on the Starks and the White Walkers, the untitled pilot was written by Jane Goldman, directed by S.J. Clarkson, and starred Naomi Watts, Miranda Richardson, and a splendid cast. It goes without saying that I was saddened to hear the show would not be going to series. Jane Goldman is a terrific screenwriter, and I enjoyed brainstorming with her. I do not know why HBO decided not to go to series on this one, but I do not think it had to do with HOUSE OF THE DRAGON. This was never an either/or situation. If television has room enough for multiple CSIs and CHICAGO shows… well, Westeros and Essos are a lot bigger, with thousands of years of history and enough tales and legends and characters for a dozen shows. Heartbreaking as it is to work for years on a pilot, to pour your blood and sweat and tears into it, and have it come to nought, it’s not at all uncommon. I’ve been there myself, more than once. I know Jane and her team are feeling the disappointment just now, and they have all my sympathy… with my thanks for all their hard work, and my good wishes for whatever they do next.
The Dragons Take Wing | Not a Blog
Old 10-31-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I liked the last season, I'd watch the new series. Have no interest in the final books though
Old 10-31-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm almost done readying Fire and Blood and there are some good stories in it. They should be able to make a decent show out of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.