Reload this Page >

Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-19-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

ABC is counting on former football player Michael Strahan to help it gain new ground in TV’s ever-intensifying morning-news wars.

Strahan, who has become a near-ubiquitous TV presence with his stints as a commentator for Fox Sports’ football coverage, the host of a new kid-award franchise on Nickelodeon, and, in recent years, an energizing force on the Disney-syndicated morning program “Live! With Kelly and Michael,” will join ABC’s “Good Morning America” on a full-time basis starting in September, ABC said Tuesday morning.

“Michael has been a stellar addition to the broadcast. Over the past two years on ‘GMA,’ he’s proven to be a tireless and versatile broadcaster with an incredible ability to connect with people, from veterans to American pop culture icons and newsmakers,” said James Goldston, president of ABC News, in a memo to staff sent this morning. “He will end a four year run as Kelly Ripa’s co-host on ‘Live!,’ where he has honed his skills as an interviewer with genuine warmth and a quick wit. At ‘GMA,’ he’ll now have even more opportunities to tell stories that inspire, inform and empower people.

Strahan joins the “GMA” team at a critical time. In 2012, the program snatched ratings victory from NBC’s “Today” for the first time in 16 years, and moved on to become the nation’s most-watched morning program. In recent months, however, it has ceded ground to its NBC rival, which has for months won more of the viewers for which advertisers in news programming pay – people between 25 and 54. Indeed, both programs have been losing viewers in recent months. For the week ending April 8, “Good Morning America” saw its overall viewership fall by 7%, while the 25-to-54 audience fell 19%. At NBC, overall viewership for “Today” slipped 2% in the same time period.

In Strahan, ABC has an energetic and winning personality whose appeal has only grown in recent years. “Live” ranks number one among entertainment daytime talk shows among households and ties for first among women between 25 and 54. The show is second among syndicated talk shows, losing only to “Dr. Phil.” “Live” was recently renewed through 2020.

Strahan has been a twice-a-week presence on “Good Morning America” over the past two years, lending a different sort of energy to the broadcast, which has for years depended regularly on TV-news personnel ranging from Diane Sawyer and Charles Gibson to Robin Roberts, Lara Spencer and George Stephanpoulos. In recent weeks, “GMA” has appeared to take a newsier bent, opening not with its entire crew greeting viewers, but with a tighter focus on Roberts (news anchor Amy Robach in her absence) and Stephanpoulous. Spencer has then joined the pair after the first quarter hour.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mic...L&ocid=U305DHP
Old 04-19-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Seems like an odd move. He is leaving a co-hosting gig with his name in the title for an ensemble show. They must be offering him a boatload of cash.
Old 04-19-16, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I thought he was host of both shows and 5 others? Seems like he's everywhere.
Old 04-19-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

No that is Steve Harvey.

Maybe Kelly Ripa is a bitch behind the scenes? Regis left and now Strahan.

If Kelly left I could see Erin Andrews probably taking that gig.

GMA has the most annoying people in the world on their show and wonder how they are beating Today in the ratings.
Old 04-19-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I thought he was host of both shows and 5 others? Seems like he's everywhere.
He is.

Live! with Kelly and Michael
Pros vs. Joes
Fox NFL Sunday
Good Morning America
This summer he is hosting a new The $100,000 Pyramid
Old 04-19-16, 05:23 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Seems like an odd move. He is leaving a co-hosting gig with his name in the title for an ensemble show. They must be offering him a boatload of cash.

'GMA' absolutely "had to have" Michael Strahan and paid him a fortune to move him off 'Live' because that's the way the BIG boss at Disney wanted it.

Sources connected to Strahan's blockbuster deal -- going full-time at 'GMA' -- tell us Disney CEO Bob Iger himself made the call to grab Kelly Ripa's co-host because he's an "everyday man" who connects with the audience.

Truth is, ABC is doing everything it can to fend off a 'Today' show comeback in the ratings. As a result, we're told 'GMA' will be "reformatted in September" to play to Strahan's strengths. Our sources say, despite the changes, George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts are absolutely safe and ABC sees Michael, Robin and George as the "three musketeers."

And if you're wondering why Iger would get involved -- we're told the network is paying very, very handsomely ... as in well into 8 figures.

One source called the deal "life changing" for Strahan ... and consider all the NFL Hall of Famer's already accomplished in his life.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz46JW6lMuF
Old 04-19-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ginger Zee >>> Kelly Ripa.
Old 04-19-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No that is Steve Harvey.

Maybe Kelly Ripa is a bitch behind the scenes? Regis left and now Strahan.

If Kelly left I could see Erin Andrews probably taking that gig.

GMA has the most annoying people in the world on their show and wonder how they are beating Today in the ratings.
I've been on the LIVE set several times and have met Regis as well as Kelly and Gelman a few times. I'll admit that I'm no expert, but she was always extremely engaging and personable, even when she didn't have to be. Also, I do know that the hosts only see each other for about 10 minutes before they go on-air and then leave almost immediately after the show is over. It's not like they are hanging out together all day.

And Regis spent 10 years with her. Strahan was most likely pulled away for money and money alone.

I don't think Kelly will ever leave. She has one of the best gigs in live TV right now.
Old 04-19-16, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Is Strahan really that popular?
Old 04-19-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I've been on the LIVE set several times and have met Regis as well as Kelly and Gelman a few times. I'll admit that I'm no expert, but she was always extremely engaging and personable, even when she didn't have to be. Also, I do know that the hosts only see each other for about 10 minutes before they go on-air and then leave almost immediately after the show is over. It's not like they are hanging out together all day.

And Regis spent 10 years with her. Strahan was most likely pulled away for money and money alone.
I'm assuming that Regis' departure was mostly due to his age.
Old 04-19-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Oddly enough kelly and Michael airs on NBC here in Orlkando at 9am and Hoda/Kathylee airs at 11am.

I guess they air the last two ours of Today on a delay.
Old 04-20-16, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ryan Seacrest has been mentioned as a possible replacement.
Old 04-20-16, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never liked Strahan.

Some good guest hosts have been Neil Patrick Harris and Anderson Cooper, but I doubt either one of them would want the full time gig.
Old 04-20-16, 07:11 AM

NPH might. The show really doesn't seem to commit a lot of time.
Old 04-20-16, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

One of these days Kelly Ripa is going to get blown away by a stiff breeze (or starve herself to death). She clearly has an eating disorder of some type.

Strahan is popular with women, and I guess that's their target audience. Steve Harvey? Who the fuck knows. The guy is a dick and a hypocrite, his popularity always mystified me.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-20-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-20-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Kelly Ripa No show on Live

Kelly Ripa did not show up for her TV show Wednesday ... and our ABC sources say this may just be the first in a string of absences.

Our sources tell us Kelly made the decision shortly after she was informed Strahan was bailing on her show to co-host "Good Morning America." We broke the story Kelly was told at 10:30 AM Tuesday, just as the announcement was being blasted out to the media ... and she was outraged.

We're told Kelly feels disrespected and humiliated that she wasn't given the courtesy of a heads-up. Our sources say she may not show for the foreseeable future.

Michael walked onstage Wednesday with Ana Gasteyer, and he made light of the move.

The 'Live' staff is furious at Disney and CEO Bob Iger's decision to keep them in the dark.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/20/kelly-...chael-strahan/
Old 04-20-16, 09:10 AM

More interesting is the article I read that claims that Disney is considering cancelling Live! and replacing it with a 3rd hour of GMA, which would be hosted by Strahan.
Old 04-20-16, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
More interesting is the article I read that claims that Disney is considering cancelling Live! and replacing it with a 3rd hour of GMA, which would be hosted by Strahan.
Wow. If that happened, part of me thinks NBC might try to hire Kelly Ripa to host the 9am hour of Today.
Old 04-20-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Craig Ferguson would be great in this format, though the level of conversation might be beneath him
Old 04-20-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, George Stephenopoulous was a White House staffer, then a political commentator. Now he's on GMA talking about cute dogs or whatever.
Old 04-20-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Kelly Ripa No show on Live

Kelly Ripa did not show up for her TV show Wednesday ... and our ABC sources say this may just be the first in a string of absences.

Our sources tell us Kelly made the decision shortly after she was informed Strahan was bailing on her show to co-host "Good Morning America." We broke the story Kelly was told at 10:30 AM Tuesday, just as the announcement was being blasted out to the media ... and she was outraged.

We're told Kelly feels disrespected and humiliated that she wasn't given the courtesy of a heads-up. Our sources say she may not show for the foreseeable future.

Michael walked onstage Wednesday with Ana Gasteyer, and he made light of the move.

The 'Live' staff is furious at Disney and CEO Bob Iger's decision to keep them in the dark.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/20/kelly-...chael-strahan/
Wow
Old 04-20-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm assuming that Regis' departure was mostly due to his age.
I'm sure it was - he was on the air for that show since like the late 70s, before it was even called LIVE.
Old 04-20-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a huge cluster.
Old 04-20-16, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Fodder for the masses.
Old 04-20-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ripa might seem like a bimbo but she is good at that job when you see the other people who filled in they were not on the same level.

Matt Lauer could replace Michael since he might not resign with the Today show thought this show would be beneath him and he said GMA is garbage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.