Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superheroes Decoded (History) -- 2-part documentary on DC/Marvel hero origins

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Superheroes Decoded (History) -- 2-part documentary on DC/Marvel hero origins

The History channel has set April 30 and May 1 airdates for Superheroes Decoded, the two-part documentary tracing the origins of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and others in the comics pantheon.

The docu-series will air at 9 PM ET/PT on both nights. With what History describes as rare access to top creators at both DC and Marvel, Superheroes Decoded uses modern film clips, vintage comic artwork, historical archival material, and interviews with dozens of experts, fans and creators. Included in the interview lineup: Anthony Mackie, Anthony Russo and Joe Russo, star and directors, respectively, of Captain America: Civil War; Game Of Thrones author George R. R. Martin; Iron Man director Jon Favreau; Marvel comics pioneer Stan Lee; and DC writer Brad Meltzer.

According to History, the docu’s first part explores the making of the iconic American superhero: “From the creation of Superman, Batman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and beyond, these all-American legends have endured through decades of war, triumph and scandal, constantly evolving to reflect the country’s changing values in a tumultuous world. From World War II and Vietnam to Watergate and the tragedy of 9/11, these mythic heroes embody America’s deepest fears and greatest aspirations.”

Part 2 examines “the American rebel and how sometimes being a hero means breaking the rules. From the beginning, superheroes like The X-Men, The Hulk, Black Panther, Iron Man, Luke Cage, and Wolverine have challenged authority and fought for outsiders, a battle that reflects the country’s most profound real-world divisions and struggles for justice. From their often controversial origins to recent resurgence in movies of today, these rebels redefine heroism for a new generation.”

Superheroes Decoded is produced for History by Warrior Poets. Morgan Spurlock and Jeremy Chilnick are executive producers for Warrior Poets, and Josh Mensch serves as co-executive producer. Kristen Burns serves as executive producer for History. A+E Networks holds worldwide distribution rights.

Part 1 aired last night, but re-airs tonight. Part 2 premieres tonight.

Just noticed this as I was looking through the channel guide. Hopefully this is an informative and fun watch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6u1GGbKYL7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-01-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Superheroes Decoded (History) -- 2-part documentary on DC/Marvel hero origins

The first part was sort of -meh-.

If you're familiar with Marvel and DC lore, there's probably nothing you haven't heard a million times before.

Kind of cool to see Grant Morrison on tv, though.
Old 05-03-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Superheroes Decoded (History) -- 2-part documentary on DC/Marvel hero origins

Just finished both parts tonight.

I thought it was pretty solid. Although it's a super thorough and exhausting documentary. It literally covers every major DC and Marvel hero and how their origin either correlates with pop culture or current events. It felt like a history lesson in addition to a comic origins documentary.

If you recorded it, it's absolutely worth a watch. But you need to set some significant time for it since it's 4 hours.
Old 05-03-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

3 hours... I fast-forward commercials
Old 05-03-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It was okay; stuff I already knew. The Wonder Woman and the whole controversy about her losing her powers was so one sided. I don't think these people actually read the comic and was just repeating what others said. One lady mentioned how WW learned Kung Fu because she somehow lost her Amazon training. If she actually read the book it is mentioned she was a quick learner because of her Amazon training and became more efficient in Kung Fu than I-Ching who was teaching her. Also, after she did regain her powers she had to go through 12 trials to get back into the JLA. Why did she have to do that? After all she is a founding member and can beat the shit out of all the members and give Superman a good fight. Why did a bunch of dudes have to judge her to regain her membership? It's so obvious none of these women's rights people read those stories. There should have been an uproar but not a peep at all and these Wonder Woman stories took place a few months after she regained her powers.

Some of those non powered stories were really good. Especially at the end of that whole arc with Denny O'Neil, Dick Giordano and with a little help from Neal Adams .

Last edited by mrhan; 05-03-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The first episode is watchable if not exactly revelatory for comic book readers; the second one repeats many of the same themes but was far more politicized in scope.

I could tell the producers had a tough time coming up with a way to fill four television hours. Some filler and repetitive material was included between episodes.

They would have been better off breaking this up into three one-hour segments.

The similar PBS series was better done.
Old 05-03-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

So far I have seen one hour of part 1 and it looks good though I am getting kind of tired of comic book movies but I will watch this show.
Old 05-04-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Well shoot. Didn't know this was two parts -- nothing on my "guide" indicates it was multiple parts. I have the first one recorded but don't see any upcoming listings for a rebroadcast. Bah!
Old 05-05-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.history.com/shows/superheroes-decoded

Both episodes are available for viewing on the History channel site (need a provider log-in) and I assume on demand as well.