Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Elizabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Elizabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes

Old 04-26-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Adapted from the classic novel by Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized ‘return to traditional values'. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world. In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

10 episode mini-series
Old 04-26-17, 03:12 AM

re: The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Elizabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes

I figured I'd start a series thread since there's not one yet. The first 3 episodes dropped at midnight EST.
I recently finished the book and just finished the third episode. So far so good! I like it more than the book, frankly, which had a writing style that bugged me.
I'm surprised at how much of the book's story has already been told in these episodes. Even fleshing out storylines it seems like this might start to feel too padded with 7 left.
The third episode ending was unclear what happened, exactly. I'm guessing
Spoiler:
Ofglen underwent an involuntary female circumcision/clitorectomy.
Old 04-26-17, 07:09 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
re: The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Elizabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Joseph Fiennes

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PJTonrzXTJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-26-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I'm surprised at how much of the book's story has already been told in these episodes. Even fleshing out storylines it seems like this might start to feel too padded with 7 left.
I'm a fan of the book as well and I think a 10 episode mini-series is too much. As great as the book was, it isn't exactly a story full of plot. Not a ton actually happens, so I was surprised to see them doing 10 episodes on it. I think you can tell the entire book perfectly over 4 hours.

I haven't seen any of the show yet but I wonder if they'll dedicate any episodes to showing the full backstory of the fall of America/rise of Gilead.
Old 04-26-17, 04:26 PM

There probably will be more detailing the fall. These first 3 episodes have pretty much already shown all the flashback material from the book.
Old 04-26-17, 05:19 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I've read the book a long time ago, so I'm interested in this.

I know there's a movie version from sometime around the early '90s. I've never seen it. Should I?
Old 04-27-17, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch the first episode. Too unpleasant for me to watch more. No question it's very well done and Moss is great.
Old 04-29-17, 11:15 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

is it sexually explicit ?
Old 04-29-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
is it sexually explicit ?
No. The sex that's shown is done without nudity and is as non erotic as possible. At least in the first three episodes.
Old 04-29-17, 10:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I love sex without nudity. So realistic...
Old 04-29-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So is the show worth a watch so far?
Old 04-30-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It actually makes sense in this religiously dominated society. It was ritualistic, for procreation only.
Old 05-03-17, 08:54 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Renewed: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...3?facebook0503
Old 05-03-17, 04:55 PM

WTF?! I thought this supposed to just be an adaption of the book, not a continuing story.
Old 05-03-17, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darn, I thought we'd get another 3 episodes today.
Old 05-31-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

What the heck was going on in ep 2?
Offred was walkingf around in that mansion and people were on the floor practicing giving birth, I think?
Old 05-31-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
What the heck was going on in ep 2?
Offred was walkingf around in that mansion and people were on the floor practicing giving birth, I think?
Keep watching the show.
Old 06-01-17, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm more into the marriage without sex. You know, like real life.
Old 06-01-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

We have had some nudity, now. So there's that...

This show is very unpleasant, but very good!
Old 06-01-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched this over the past few days and I'm liking it so far. Moss will likely get an Emmy nod. I also like Samira Wiley and Strahovski in this.
Old 06-01-17, 08:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i'm hoping to get back to this. saw most of the first ep. and i was very intrigued. just so much content and so little time...
Old 06-01-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

just so much content and so little time...
Yeah it's ridiculous at this point. Got into this and American Gods past few days, loving both.
Old 06-17-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched episodes 7-10 over the past two days. Overall, it was a very good season. Moss deserves an Emmy for the season finale performance. Ann Dowd was great and Emmy worthy. But, I have the feeling she will be snubbed.
Old 06-18-17, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Episode 6

A big change in this episode. They followed the wife, Sarah from Chuck for awhile. They even had flashbacks with her from before the war. Very good casting with her. She has similar presence as Mrs Underwood from House of Cards. She also is a lot taller than most of the other cast members making her more intimidating. Finding out she was a author and isn't allowed to read by her own design was a bit crazy.

The scene that made the episode was the party scene. They have a party to owner the handmaids and during the party they bring out some children. The camera goes jumps between the nasty looks from the handmaids. Their children were taken from them so parading the kids out was torture to them.

Note that the kids weren't just for the handmaids. The party also included leaders from around the world. They were showing the kids off like cattle to be sold. Some of the other countries have had zero births in years so children and fertile women are priceless. They plan to trade the handmaids as slaves.
Old 07-20-17, 03:13 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

So is this show worth subrscribing to Hulu for? Or I guess i could do a free trial and watch it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.