Reload this Page >

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-21-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

New companion, new worlds and new adventures….

12 Episodes + A Christmas Special

E01 - The Pilot
E02 - Smile
E03 - Thin Ice
E04 - Knock Knock
E05 - Oxygen
E06 - Extremis
E07 - The Pyramid at the End of the World
E08 - The Lie of the Land
E09 - Empress of Mars
E10 - The Eaters of Light
E11 - World Enough and Time
E12 - The Doctor Falls

E13 - 2017 Christmas Special

Series 10 Teaser

A Time of Heroes

Series 10 Trailer

Spoiler:
This will be the final series with Steven Moffat as Show Runner and Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. They both depart with this year’s Christmas Special.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-10-17 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Updated Episode Titles
Old 03-21-17, 06:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

Pffffft-I still think only of Tom Baker when I think Dr Who.
Old 03-22-17, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

New companion, new worlds and new adventures….
New story arcs that go nowhere, new deus ex machinas, new disappointments...
Old 03-22-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dont like this guy as the Doctor. I watched from the start (2005) and likes all the the Doctors until this one came around. There is just something about him i cant warm up to. I will be glad and start tuning in again when this one dies and ANYONE else regenerates.
Old 03-22-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I like this doctor far more than I ever liked Matt Smith, but the story/writing was a lot better during the Matt Smith era. This Doctor hasn't had a chance to shine too much with any good companion or story... and I'm undecided if I'll even watch cause his new companion "Eyes" seems like the worst companion ever.
Old 03-22-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I like this doctor far more than I ever liked Matt Smith, but the story/writing was a lot better during the Matt Smith era. This Doctor hasn't had a chance to shine too much with any good companion or story... and I'm undecided if I'll even watch cause his new companion "Eyes" seems like the worst companion ever.
I don't like Capaldi much in this role (he was good on The Musketeers), and like you I think the new female companion is a dud (I don't like the male one either).
Old 03-22-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Capaldi is one of the best Doctor's in the role but he's been hamstrung by sub-par writing. There were some stories in the past two seasons that gave him some moments to shine brilliantly but the overall stories haven't been there.

FYI Heaven Sent (where he's stuck in the castle in the time loop) is rated the second best episode of the revival on IMDB, so he can carry a good story when he has it.
Old 03-22-17, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in the "like Capaldi, but think he's had a lot of weak scripts" camp. I like the direction they took with the new Doctor and I don't recall ever thinking his performance was the reason I didn't like a particular episode.
Old 03-22-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Husbands of River Song and Dr. Mysterio were much better stories. His trolling of River the entire special until
Spoiler:
she realized it was him
was one of the greatest things ever. And in Dr. Mysterio, there was a little touch that I talk about every time DW comes up: we'd seen 12 being outlandish, riding the tank into the coliseum and such, and while I can still accept that as some The Doctor would do, it was still a little much. But in Dr. Mysterio, he's breaking and entering that office building, and eating sushi while he does it. That's the kind of "oddball" thing The Doctor needs to be doing.
Old 03-22-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm also in the "like Capaldi, but think he's had a lot of weak scripts" camp. I like the direction they took with the new Doctor and I don't recall ever thinking his performance was the reason I didn't like a particular episode.
Moffatt can write standalone Doctor Who episodes like a motherfucker, but he can't handle a whole season.
Old 03-23-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Moffatt can write standalone Doctor Who episodes like a motherfucker, but he can't handle a whole season.
This thread prompted me to rewatch Heaven Sent and Hell Bent last night and it really hit that point home with me.

Both were written by Moffat. Heaven Sent is a lot like Moffat's best work, practically a standalone episode with a relatively simple, but solid sci-fi hook. Capaldi carries the entire thing and it's easily one of the best of his tenure as the Doctor.

Hell Bent on the other hand is kind of a mess. Overly complicated plot, lots of characters and concepts the viewers barely know and/or remember even less. It has a lot going for it, from being beautifully shot, to interesting story sequences, to solid performances (except the Game of thrones girl, who is horrible) but in order to enjoy them I had to wilfully ignore a lot of the plot gobbledy gook. Instead of the season long arc building to a payoff it felt more like a distraction.
Old 03-24-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Capaldi as the Doctor. I felt his first series was a bit awkward with moments of brilliance shining through (his scene with Clara after she betrays him in Dark Water is just great). His second series has been utterly fantastic performance-wise. There were moments that I found myself tearing up due to him being so damn perfect (translating the baby in The Girl Who Died, the speech from The Zygon Inversion, his last moments with Clara in Face The Raven, his tour de force in Heaven Sent, and his scenes with Clara in Hell Bent to name a few).

I'm really going to miss him when he leaves.
Old 03-24-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Loved Capaldi as the Doctor we needed since when he has the material to work with, he is just perfect. But man, did we get a lot of shitty scripts for him.
Old 03-30-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-31-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who’s First Openly Gay Companion

Huge news in the world of Doctor Who was just revealed today. According to an interview on BBC News, Pearl Mackie’s character, Bill, the new companion for the tenth season of Doctor Who, will be openly gay. While Bill won’t be the first gay or bisexual character on the show, she is the first openly gay companion, the report confirms, and Bill’s sexual orientation will be revealed right away in the character’s second line of dialog.

“It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st Century. It’s about time isn’t it?” Mackie said. “That representation is important, especially on a mainstream show.”

Mackie elaborated on why she feels representation is important, saying, “It’s important to say people are gay, people are black – there are also aliens in the world as well so watch out for them. I remember watching TV as a young mixed race girl not seeing many people who looked like me, so I think being able to visually recognise yourself on screen is important. [Being gay] is not the main thing that defines her character – it’s something that’s part of her and something that she’s very happy and very comfortable with.”

While fans are likely to argue the semantics of the “first” moniker, the BBC report notes:

Gay and bisexual characters have featured in Doctor Who before, such as Captain Jack and River Song, but this is the first time the Doctor’s companion has been openly gay.
Doctor Who Season 10 premieres on April 15 on BBC One and BBC America.
Bleeding Cool
Old 03-31-17, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love the fact that Pearl Mackie correctly says, "It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st Century," but by doing so in a BBC News interview, makes it a "big deal" that gets publicized for the next two weeks before the S10 premiere!

I would have thought the "not a big deal" approach would have been to just let the episode air on April 15 without the advance notice, but the cynic in me says this was done on purpose by the Doctor Who team and the BBC to generate buzz about the new season.
Old 03-31-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't Captain Jack the first openly gay companion?

I know he was described as omnisexual or whatever, but he seemed to prefer men.
Old 03-31-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems especially meh considering every major cast member of Torchwood was shown to be not at a minimum not strictly hetero. It will be interesting to see how they play it out though. It seems most of the new who companions are either in love with the doctor, have a boyfriend, or both.
Old 04-03-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Series 10 Trailer #2

Old 04-04-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
Gotta love the fact that Pearl Mackie correctly says, "It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st Century," but by doing so in a BBC News interview, makes it a "big deal" that gets publicized for the next two weeks before the S10 premiere!

I would have thought the "not a big deal" approach would have been to just let the episode air on April 15 without the advance notice, but the cynic in me says this was done on purpose by the Doctor Who team and the BBC to generate buzz about the new season.
For any other channel it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but BBC goes out of its way to be overly PC. One gets the feeling they're only doing this to prove some kind of a point, and they couldn't care less about just doing it without calling attention to it.
Old 04-04-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a surprise so big in the new series of Doctor Who that it comes with a countdown...

When departing Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat got up on stage before the press screening of the series ten opener, his main aim was to convince the audience to close their eyes at a certain point during the episode two trailer shown immediately afterwards and save themselves from the spoiler. And it's a warning I feel duty bound to pass on...

"This is just a public warning," said a playful Moffat. "Some people hate spoilers and some people love spoilers – and everybody hates me whatever way they think about it. So this is my last attempt in this role to avoid hatred.

"At the end of the episode there will be yet another awesome trailer for Doctor Who... at the very end of the trailer there is, frankly, an enormous spoiler, a spoiler that may actually melt your brains. But I promise you, you'd be better off not knowing because awesome though it will be here, it will be even more awesome in a few weeks' time. So we're gonna give you the option, in our frankly camp and ridiculous way...

"There will come up a warning and then there will be a countdown to the spoiler, and then there will be a warning to 'blink now'. If at that point you close your eyes and wait until you hear the cliffhanger noise, you will have a better experience in a few weeks’ time."

So there you have it, warning delivered. And, yes, I am reliably informed that the same countdown will appear in the trailer when it airs on BBC1 on 15th April after the first episode.

And, of course, I want you to have the same option to close your eyes that all the journalists in the room had tonight (even though, like all the journalists, none of you will choose it).

Suffice it to say that, as far as certain fans will be concerned, it's the kind of surprise for which phrases such as "melt the internet", "OMG!" and, simply, "squeeeeeee!" were invented.

And if we're lucky, it may just fill in an important gap in Time Lord history.

Just 11 days to go. The countdown has begun...
Radio Times
Old 04-04-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Might as well just ignore the fright flasher and horror horn in the trailer.

If there's going to be some kind of big twist coming later in the season, Moffatt's just going to fuck it up anyway.
Old 04-06-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow-O-Wow. Looks like Moffat is throwing everything into his final series.

John Simm to return as the Master in Doctor Who

John Simm will return as the Master to battle the Doctor (Peter Capaldi), new companion Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie) and Nardole (Matt Lucas) in the forthcoming series of Doctor Who.

John Simm says: “I can confirm that it’s true, thanks to the power of time travel I’m back. It’s always a pleasure to work with this great team of people and I can’t wait for you all to see what the Master gets up to in the next series. “

Steven Moffat, writer and executive producer, says: "Nothing stays secret for long on Doctor Who but you'll have to wait a little bit longer to see exactly what the Master is up to and how he makes his return to face the Doctor. It’s been a huge pleasure to have fan favourites John Simm and Michelle Gomez face to face in the same role! It’s not often you get to see a solo personality clash."

John Simm was last seen as the Master on New Year’s Day 2010. Viewers will have to wait to see exactly when and how the Master will return to the new series, which starts on Saturday 15 April at 7:20pm on BBC One.

As previously announced, Doctor Who series 10 will also star Michelle Gomez as Missy – a later regeneration of the Master. Other returning foes include the Daleks, the Ice Warriors and – returning for the first time in over 50 years – the Mondasian Cybermen. An exciting line up of new faces and adversaries will debut across the series, including adorable-but-deadly Emojibots and David Suchet as the Landlord.

Doctor Who returns to BBC One with episode one The Pilot at 7:20pm on Saturday 15 April.
BBC
Old 04-06-17, 12:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Meh, Simm is by far my least favorite Master. I even prefer Missy.
Old 04-06-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, if they can have multiple Doctors meet, I guess they can have multiple Masters meet. Too bad it will only be two of them though. They could always get Eric Roberts and someone could play the crispy version of the Master.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.