Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

Old 05-14-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

Well. Giving Davros that jolt of energy must have taken its toll. Last weeks wasn't much to speak of but this was a step up.
Old 05-28-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 10 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 4/15/17

Didn't have a chance to watch last week's episode so I plowed through two episodes this week. The first episode had an interesting premise but overall, felt like fluff for the following two-parter.

This week also felt like a set up episode but better stylized. I'll wait for final judgement after next week's episode.
Old 05-28-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't have a chance to watch last week's episode so I plowed through two episodes this week. The first episode had an interesting premise but overall, felt like fluff for the following two-parter.
Oddly, I felt the first episode, "Extremis" was the stronger one, as it could really stand on its own. It has a strong existential question about what it means to be The Doctor at its core, and we see what The Doctor, even when stripped of everything, even his own existence, is willing and capable of doing.

The second episode may have been a lesser experience for me partly because my wife was constantly yelling at the screen at the extremely poor/unrealistic containment procedures for the research lab, starting with drinking coffee in the lab while in gear and getting progressively worse as the episode went on. And what was with the luggage lock for the door?
Old 05-29-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Is this the first time we've had a three parter in modern Who?

I agree Extremis was better for the majority of the episode run time, except the Extremis ending was bad while the Pyramid ending was great!

Meanwhile, over on Class a really good episode that took place during the events of the previous episode while the kids were in detention. On the ending:
Spoiler:

I'm wondering if the baby is a result of her being with the Zygon, or when she touched the essence (?) floating in the air. Will be a very interesting character development if she has a half Quill half whatever the prince's race is/was. What happens to her burning loathing then?

I believe next week is already the Class finale. No clue if it was picked up for a second series or not. I've enjoyed it, but it definitely needs to do more to find itself and tell a more cohesive story over a relatively short 8 episodes.
Old 05-30-17, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Is this the first time we've had a three parter in modern Who?
The final three episodes of S3 form a three-part story: Utopia / The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords.
Old 05-30-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent from last season was also sort of a three parter.
Old 06-05-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody watch all of Class? Next to last episode was great and had some really interesting turn of events. Finale on the other hand took some weird turns. Honestly not sure how I feel about it.

Apparently a second series is iffy. If there isn't more, I'd love for a small amount of Torchwood with some Quill!
Old 06-05-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody watch all of Class? Next to last episode was great and had some really interesting turn of events. Finale on the other hand took some weird turns. Honestly not sure how I feel about it.

Apparently a second series is iffy. If there isn't more, I'd love for a small amount of Torchwood with some Quill!
I enjoyed it overall. I'd say actually that the third-last, which is a bottle episode, and the second-last, which runs a separate story parallel to the third-last episode, were the strongest. Overall though the series focused a lot on the characters moreso than the "monster of the week," sometimes to the detriment of the monster.

I think it worked a bit better than how character development on Doctor Who can work, where they always tiptoe around The Doctor a bit, and focusing on a single companion can get repetitive and dull (such as Martha's unrequited love, or Amy's crush on the Doctor and Rory's insecurity about that). Having a group of characters that can interact with each other works a bit better with conflict and the like, especially since two of them can stay mad at each other for more than the length of a single episode.

Quill was the best character, but she might work best in contrast with the other characters. In some ways she might be too close to Missy on Doctor Who at the moment.

Overall I'll be disappointed, although not crushed, if there isn't a second season. However, that reveal at the end of the finale... ugh.
Old 06-05-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Class started really strong and then dipped a bit in the middle to "ok" territory, but it finished nicely. Though I didn't care for the detention/meteor bottle episode, I thought the Quill centric episode was fantastic and the finale was very, very strong with some legitimately shocking turns that I didn't expect.

If there is a second series, I'm in.
Old 06-05-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

The reveal of the governors at the end got me to really hoping for a second series.
Old 06-19-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a lot of talk on this thread for this current series.

The most interesting thing to me for the past few episodes have been the bits with Missy. It looks like next week kicks that arc off into high gear.

My off-the-wall theory: Missy is actually The Doctor, in a future incarnation, which is how we're going to encounter The Master, possibly wanting to confront this impostor. This could lead to the next "regeneration" being The Doctor turning into Missy.

Other, less crazy theories:

Missy/The Master have a failsafe in place where they can alert their past selves if they're ever trapped or in danger. The Master shows up to rescue his future self, but does she want rescue?

Missy/The Doctor run into a situation where The Master is causing havoc in the past. The Doctor sacrifices himself, causing both The Master and himself to regenerate, with The Master becoming Missy.
Old 06-19-17, 03:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really liked this weeks episode. Felt it was a big improvement from the Victorian Mars one.
Old 06-19-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
My off-the-wall theory: Missy is actually The Doctor, in a future incarnation, which is how we're going to encounter The Master, possibly wanting to confront this impostor. This could lead to the next "regeneration" being The Doctor turning into Missy.
She was a bit too murdery (in the sociopath not savior sense) last season to be any version of the Doctor though. I've enjoyed the straight forwardness of this season so I hope there is not an overly complex over thought ending.
Old 06-19-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

It wasn't a big canon-shattering event but it was just a good solid episode of Doctor Who.

I did love the bit about the crows: "they're remembering".
Old 06-20-17, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't watched trailer for next episode so no comment there.

I do agree the Roman legion episode was a lot better than the mars episode. I thought there was more mystery and an interesting resolution. Not sure they fully explained hearing music. It's not like the entire group walked into the portal allowing you to hear music whenever the door opened.

Does make you wonder what will happen. The doctor was right as their life spans are shorter. Eventually they'll all die and then what?
Old 06-20-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do agree the Roman legion episode was a lot better than the mars episode. I thought there was more mystery and an interesting resolution. Not sure they fully explained hearing music. It's not like the entire group walked into the portal allowing you to hear music whenever the door opened.

Does make you wonder what will happen. The doctor was right as their life spans are shorter. Eventually they'll all die and then what?
The bagpipers did walk into the portal with the Scottish and Roman fighters, so it's their music they're hearing.

My fan wankery is that the portal became unstable with too many people walking into it at once, and so the time differential between inside the portal and outside is elongating as the portal is collapsing. So their few minutes of fight are being elongated across eons.
Old 06-20-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so behind on episodes. Work has consumed me. I watched "The Lie of the Land" over the weekend and plan to binge the recent 2 episodes before this weekend.

"Lie of the Land" was a bit disappointing. Especially being the climax of a three-parter. The false regeneration was just BS. Will say I enjoy Bill more and more each episode.
Old 06-20-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This season and season 6 are my 2 favorite seasons. Fast moving, less redundant episodes.
Old 06-24-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught up with the previous two episodes this week ("Empress of Mars" and "The Eaters of Light"). I enjoyed both episodes, "Eaters of Light" a little more.

Looking forward to the first part of the Season Finale tonight!
Old 06-24-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched "World Enough And Time." A bit fluffy until we get to the last 15 minutes or so but it's a good build up. The cliffhanger was fun. Can't wait to see how everything fits into Cyber History.

Spoiler:
1) Great cold opening.

2)Didn't even think Razor was the Simm Master until he popped up behind Missy. I miss the Master dressing up.
Old 06-24-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, a lot happened in tonight's episode, and next week will be another turning point in the series.
Old 06-24-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why does this season feel so solid vs the last couple?

Really enjoying it. (I did the others as well, something is just hitting better)
Old 06-25-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow that was good stuff. Probably the best episode since the Tennat era. It even felt like an older episode from 2005/2006.

Loved the Gallifrey music cues while The Doctor and Bill were chatting on the roof.

The lighting and style of the hospital were well creepy. Had an eerie vibe.

Not enough Doctor.

Is this the inverse of the three doctors if you have two masters and a Doctor?

Wish this were a two parter so I didn't have to wait a week.
Old 06-26-17, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Just watched "World Enough And Time." A bit fluffy until we get to the last 15 minutes or so but it's a good build up. The cliffhanger was fun. Can't wait to see how everything fits into Cyber History.

Spoiler:
1) Great cold opening.

2)Didn't even think Razor was the Simm Master until he popped up behind Missy. I miss the Master dressing up.
I was trying to figure out who the actor was for much of the episode. It all clicked when he was talking to Bill about the exodus while outside the hospital. I love his goatee!

A really wonderful episode that harkened back to classic Who in so many ways. I could easily have seen this being a Fourth or Fifth Doctor storyline.

I'm just annoyed from the next time on that they're already reverting back to the shitty modern Cyberman design for the next episode. The classic designs are so much creepier.
Old 06-29-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts

Being new to this show, I'm a tad confused. I thought Missy was The Master? Or is the goatee guy a previous incarnation/regeneration of The Master which Missy didn't recognize because of the disguise? But then again, woudn't she remember wearing that disguise??? And what happens if Missy sides with the Doctor and they kill The Master? Woudn't she be killing herself and promptly disappear in a puff of logic? Or since there's no death, only regeneration, would we end up with Missy and a regenerated younger Missy? Argh...

Also, I want to go back and watch prior seasons, should I just start with the 2005 relaunch?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.