The Walking Dead (S7E14) -- "The Other Side" -- 3/19/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E14) -- "The Other Side" -- 3/19/17

Old 03-21-17, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E14) -- "The Other Side" -- 3/19/17

Originally Posted by Giles
watching this was like watching paint dry... oh thank god there's only two episodes left of the season

^No. It was like watching two different paints talk about which one gets to dry.

I fell asleep with about 30 minutes to go, so I finished watching it tonight. I'm mad that I didn't get an extra 30 minutes of sleep instead.
Old 03-21-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
The show needs a bigger budget and they need to be willing to go darker. I would have had Daryl be the final victim killed by Negan after Abraham and Glenn, and if the show didn't have the Governor take Rick's hand, Negan could have.
Going darker is what turned many viewers off this season. Tons of people didn't like the brutal bat beating of Glenn and Abraham, arguably two of the show's best characters. Killing off another favorite character without replacing him/her with someone interesting isn't going to improve the storyline or ratings.
Old 03-21-17, 11:06 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I remember when I used to be all about "they better NOT kill so and so". For me that was Maggie. But now I don't care at all. When I saw Maggie on this week's episode I couldn't even remember the last time I saw her.
Old 03-21-17, 11:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For some reason they've decided that EVERYBODY is a main character and the show is weaker for it.
Old 03-21-17, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
For some reason they've decided that EVERYBODY is a main character and the show is weaker for it.
Absolutely. It is terribly structured.
Old 03-21-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
FINALLY happy to see people waking up...
Ohhh I bet you just "love it".

I asked you in the last thread why you are so happy about the rating dip. That in the end will not matter one bit. But you did not answer that. I expect you not to answer this as well but again why does this make you happy?

You like most here just don't have the willpower to quit watching??? But would just rather bitch and moan???
Old 03-21-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

That's a good call by you. They have tried elevating every two-bit character into a starring player and the plotting has suffered because of it.
Old 03-21-17, 02:17 PM

But let us not forget the show is still "utterly brilliant."

I can't help but laugh hysterically at these posts:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12929403-post38.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12929434-post53.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12929445-post61.html

Last edited by dex14; 03-21-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

By far the worst season of the series. I have absolutely no interest in re-watching this season when it's over.

I bet the only people who will purchase the BD are the OCD completists or those who don't have cable & don't stream. Absolutely no re-watchability.
Old 03-21-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I think they are just trying to make "Fear The Walking Dead" look better in comparison now.
Old 03-21-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I hit delete on this one instead of watching. Sounds like it was the right move.
Old 03-21-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
By far the worst season of the series. I have absolutely no interest in re-watching this season when it's over.

I bet the only people who will purchase the BD are the OCD completists or those who don't have cable & don't stream. Absolutely no re-watchability.
There are very few shows I buy as they come out anymore after Lost shat the bed so badly that I never wanted to watch it again.

Unfortunately I've been buying TWD season by season and now I'm regretting it. Game of Thrones is the only other show I'm buying as it goes but I don't see that one letting me down.
Old 03-21-17, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
There are very few shows I buy as they come out anymore after Lost shat the bed so badly that I never wanted to watch it again.

Unfortunately I've been buying TWD season by season and now I'm regretting it. Game of Thrones is the only other show I'm buying as it goes but I don't see that one letting me down.
Same. I WAS buying TWD during Black Friday sales. I didn't this year. Sold off the previous ones.
Old 03-21-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Forgot to mention the appearance of Eugene's 'brilliant' idea for pouring the metal on the walkers.

The first one they showed looked like a statue with bird shit on it. Of course, they end up just being stuck to the fence with iron 'helmets.' Nothing to stop the guts from spilling out, as Negan requested.

I kind of figured they (the writers) realized it was a dumb idea, and we'd never see or hear of it again, but nope. They never seem to realize how dumb anything they write actually is.
Old 03-21-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Same. I WAS buying TWD during Black Friday sales. I didn't this year. Sold off the previous ones.
I do want to rewatch the earlier seasons one more time but then I think I will offload too.
Old 03-21-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I think they are just trying to make "Fear The Walking Dead" look better in comparison now.
Is Junky Brewster still wearing the clothes he stole in the first episode from the old man in the hospital?
Old 03-21-17, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Going darker is what turned many viewers off this season. Tons of people didn't like the brutal bat beating of Glenn and Abraham, arguably two of the show's best characters. Killing off another favorite character without replacing him/her with someone interesting isn't going to improve the storyline or ratings.
This season has not "gone darker" anymore than DC has with low-colored costumes. The show's darkest point was gutwrenching (Look at the flowers Lilly) and haunting. It has had many more emotionally dark moments (none of which involve Rick and his chronic constipation) but not in recent seasons.

The deaths of Abraham and Glenn were far from dark; hell, they were almost comical. They were fan service at best. After the constant circle-jerking leading up to that point, there was no emotion beyond possible shock. It was completely bungled and unearned.

This is my harshest criticism of the show ... or my hasrhest ... ALL emotion and emotional connection to the characters has been stripped out by the persistent douchebaggery of the show runners. They have fantastic actors. They have so many "dark" avenues they could explore. Yet, this barely passable competence is what we get because AMC promoted somebody's nephew from the mailroom.
Old 03-21-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

As critical as I have been of this season, this was a pretty good episode.

What could have made it a great episode is if they had developed the Sasha/Abraham relationship last season and we were truly torn between her and Rosita.

But they just shoehorned that relationship at the end of last season, so the episode didn't pack the emotional punch it could have.

That's really my beef with the show is that these types of character episodes are missing the mark because they've done a crummy job with the characters lately.
Old 03-21-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You like most here just don't have the willpower to quit watching??? But would just rather bitch and moan???
I swear you pretty much post the same thing in every TWD thread.
It equates to a "Why are you watching it if you don't like it?" or "This thread makes me laugh" kind of posts.

People have given their reasons for watching it while having issues with the show. If you can't deal with it, maybe you should just ignore the thread. At least people are talking about the episode even if they didn't like it - which is contributing to the discussion a lot more than you are.
Old 03-21-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Yea, FTWD used to be scored a 2 out of 10... but now it's a solid 2.5.

As bad as TWD has been, they've really got to shit the bed after a Taco Bell dinner to make FTWD look anywhere close to mediocre.
Old 03-21-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to call out the endless supply of 'good' gasoline and cars that will just start if you add gas.

Come on!! my lawn mower or snow blower will not start if I leave gas in it for the long off season - and I would suspect that every single car out there would have a dead battery by now. The computers in cars drain them down in a matter of months. I keep battery tenders on my garage kept cars in the off season for the winter - even in the summer, if I do not use them for a few weeks - the battery will strain to turn the engine over.

Even if they did have a good battery - most of the gasoline sitting in the tanks would have started to turn to varnish given the condensation in the tanks and the gunk building up in the injectors, lines, etc.

This is why a well cared for car at one of the camps should be extremely valuable - just like a horse in frontier times.
Old 03-21-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^^^^^^^

It's funny you mentioned lawnmowers and snowblowers. It's like clockwork here in NJ whenever we have our first snowstorm as everyone I know says, "I just hope my snowblower starts as I haven't used it since last winter!" Yet in TWD world that doesn't seem to be a problem with cars that haven't started in years.
Old 03-21-17, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

That's how exactly how Lost started losing its popularity. Nikki and Paolo anyone?
Old 03-21-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I have to call out the endless supply of 'good' gasoline and cars that will just start if you add gas.

Come on!! my lawn mower or snow blower will not start if I leave gas in it for the long off season - and I would suspect that every single car out there would have a dead battery by now. The computers in cars drain them down in a matter of months. I keep battery tenders on my garage kept cars in the off season for the winter - even in the summer, if I do not use them for a few weeks - the battery will strain to turn the engine over.

Even if they did have a good battery - most of the gasoline sitting in the tanks would have started to turn to varnish given the condensation in the tanks and the gunk building up in the injectors, lines, etc.

This is why a well cared for car at one of the camps should be extremely valuable - just like a horse in frontier times.
Yeah, I forgot about that ridiculousness. The only way a battery would last more than a few months without charging would be if it was a lithium ion battery, or something similar. I have one in my bike, and it'll sit all winter without a tender and only lose a very small amount of charge. Lead acid batteries? Not a chance. Plus the fuel issues.
Old 03-21-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You kinda gotta let the gas/car battery thing slide though. If no cars were in use it would severely restrict the story lines since it requires people getting around from place to place in a relatively short amount of time. Otherwise we'd have to constantly endure walking scenes, get a lot of time-jumps of days/weeks or be subjected to many unrealistic scenes of walking long distances in a very short amount of time.

However, it still annoys me that bicycles aren't a sought after thing in this universe. They've been used only 2 or 3 times in this series and would be extremely useful (ie. faster than walking, uses a lot less energy and very quiet), yet bicycles are ignored as if they no longer exist or are unrealistically rare.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.