Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Watched the first two episodes so far and not really impressed. It's aright but nothing about it makes you want to keep watching. The fight scenes are awful too. I get what they are trying to go for, by making him be so skilled he can easily defeat anyone, but instead it looks like stunt men just throwing themselves around for no reason.
Old 03-24-17, 08:53 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Wow... I can't believe this line of dialogue was actually used "I don't even know what the Iron Fist is... it sounds like a sex toy". Or something along those lines. Yikes.
Old 03-25-17, 04:35 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Overall pretty good but fell a bit short of it's potential

Fights were decent but not amazing. Story was decent but not amazing
Old 03-25-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Started off kind of slippery and the he certainly didn't move very smoothly so it made it less believable that he was a martial artist and made me question why they didn't choose someone for the role who already knew martial arts. Listening to some interviews it seems he didn't get to practice much and often had to learn the routines 15 minutes before the shoot, so I gotta give props for the quick learning at least. As the season went on he seemed to be more natural/smooth with his movements so that gripe was no longer an issue. Overall I enjoyed it. It's no where near as bad as critics tried to make it sound. Despite most people heralding Daredevil S1 as the best, personally I'd rate them as: DD S2, LC S1, IF S1, JJ S1, DD S1. In the end my only complaint is the lack of actually utilizing the Iron Fist in any way that actually mattered. Besides busting through doors, everything that happened could have been the same without the Iron Fist. I felt his power was really underused this season. Needless to say I'm definitely looking forward to the 4 (5 actually since it seems Elektra will be there too) way team up on Defenders.
Old 03-25-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Just finished it and I want more. I swear these Marvel Netflix series should be at least 16 episodes.

I thought Finn Jones was great.

Amazing performance from Tom Pelphrey (Ward).

David Wenham is just fucking crazy in series, especially towards the end.

For some reason, I find Madame Gao more threatening than Loki and the rest of the MCU villains. I just love the character.

Big to Jessica Henwick... Goddamn! She was awesome! We need to see more of Colleen Wing!!!!
Old 03-26-17, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Really? They should be reduced to 8 episodes in my opinion. They don't seem to know what to do with 13 episodes.
Old 03-26-17, 05:42 AM

Yeah i felt episodes could have been tightened up and pacing made faster

The meachums dramas really dragged the show down

As did some of the Colleen/Clair self righteous speeches

I am really surprised there weren't more flashbacks to Kun Lun, ok not the dragon fight but at least showing training
Old 03-26-17, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They probably should have just started in Kun Lun. By not showing the place no one cared about it or at least I didn't.
Old 03-26-17, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Iron Fist, Living Weapon is such false advertising! Danny is weak with basic fighting skills and his "superpower" needs to be recharged after one punch. He would make a great sidekick for Daredevil.

Basically, Iron Fist is Robin.
Old 03-26-17, 05:07 PM

More to do with the actor than the character

If Scott Adkins was blonde and a bit of a better actor, he would have been awesome
Old 03-27-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Part way in at this point. I like the show, although Finn doesn't really sell the whole "mystical badass" character very well. The fight scenes aren't nearly as exciting as I expected, and when he quotes or prays, it just comes off hokey.

Otherwise, I like what I've seen so far. It's nice to have one of these Marvel shows do something during the daytime.
Old 03-27-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had to write a follow-up on my review at my FB page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

In Mid-Stream - Iron Fist Revisited (Netflix)

Oh, the dangers of reviewing an online binge show after only the first few episodes. In some cases, like Stranger Things (Netflix), which I REALLY LOVED the whole thing, the show has a quality level that is consistent from beginning to end.

Sometimes, well, you get the feeling you jumped the gun. I wrote a review of Iron Fist a couple of weeks ago based on the first four episodes, modified my thoughts a little after the fifth, and then went off to watch the last 8 installments.

Oh, boy. Until about the 9th episode, I really enjoyed the direction it was going. Episode 8 had the best fight of the whole series, which played out as an homage to the Jackie Chan classic "Drunken Master", with Danny facing off with the best foe of the series. Then somewhere around mid-episode 9, the show went off the rails a bit, and the entire show just kind of flat-lined.

Somewhere between the ice-cream scooper attack, and the insane reveal of Coleen Wing's background, and the fact that Iron Fist only really used his Iron Fist potential, really, like once, the Marvel show lost whatever credibility it had as a whole. Oh, yeah, there were some bright spots, like the Ward/Harold/Joy family dynamic, the resolution of the Rand Corporation board plot line, and Claire Temple being Claire Temple. But that was it. Yeah, Danny takes Colleen to Kun Lun, and discovers that he never should have left, but by the time that happens, you really don't care.

Sorry to say, I need to amend my overall rating of Iron Fist downward to barely a 2.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and only for that wonderfully insane fight in episode 8. BTW, I read today, the actor who played Danny's opponent in that scene actually auditioned for the Iron Fist lead. Imagine if we had HIM as the hero for the entire show! Opportunity lost....

SHARE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies with your friends and family, and LIKE my page!
Old 04-04-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I am 2/3rd's of my way through it, and it seems to be getting worse as it goes along.

The only decent parts of "Iron Fist" are the women.

The lead is miscast, and he is not the only one.

The fight scenes are pretty corny and disappointing.

Not to mention the writing.

it's definitely a step down from "Luke Cage".
Old 04-04-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

it's just... a really rough struggle. That actor is just so bad and if they put a mask on him, at least then they could have gotten someone who could actually fight to do those scenes.
Old 04-05-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm 6 episodes in. It's definitely the weakest of the marvel series, but I'm still enjoying it for the most part.

Biggest problem is the writing/acting. Either one could be tolerable if the other was stronger, but its hard to tell which is the biggest culprit.

Agree for the most part that the lead was not the best casting, and the direction of the fight scenes is pretty weak.

I think this is filling the void of something to watch when i dont have anything to watch.

Seems like I am at the peak of the series and it goes down from here. Hopefully my limited expectations will make it not that bad.
Old 04-05-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Finished it, and don't feel much different than everyone else. I probably liked it more than most here, and I rate it as more enjoyable overall than Luke Cage. I have no idea how this guy became the Iron Fist though. He was getting bested by people everywhere. I thought he was supposed to be at the top of his game already, regardless of his mental state in overcoming his parent's deaths.
Old 04-05-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I finish watching all the first season. Thought it was okay just not great. I still say Daredevil and Jessica Jones as my favorite of Marvel on Netflix.
Old 04-05-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish they went with the revenge angle that the original story arc had. It would have been one fight after another and would have shown IF was a bad ass out of the gate like the comics. I wouldn't have minded if they just sprinkled flashbacks throughout the episodes like the Kung Fu series because that was what they did in the original story.
Old 04-05-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked it more than Luke Cage, which fell apart halfway through to me.

Maybe this will get us the other shows quicker going forward.
Old 04-05-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rate this 3/5. It was mildly entertaining.

I actually liked Danny better at the beginning of the series than at the end, when I didn't feel strongly about him one way or the other.

His fighting ability was all over the place, and he came across as a mediocre fighter several times. I know they didn't want to have the final battle be anticlimactic, but that fight with Harold on the roof... yikes. Come on, this guy is supposed to be an expert martial artist. I even thought the drunken master fight made him look weak. If this was a series about a kung fu apprentice who happened to have special powers he couldn't quite control, I would have said they portrayed it pretty well.

Anytime anything legal or business related came up in this show, it was basically "wizards did it." It was kind of embarrassing to watch. For instance, Danny owns 51% of the company but they kick him off the board? Uh, right, OK. I guess it's time for an emergency shareholders' meeting and a new board. Joy and Ward would have of course known that and had no fear of that guy who was "forcing" them off the board. Stupid.

The final scene with Joy agreeing to entertain the idea of assassinating Danny—what? How does that follow from any of her previous characterization? It doesn't. It wasn't set up properly. It just happened because they needed a villain for season two. By the way, the instant Danny catches wind of her plan, she'll be ejected from the company. Great plan, Joy.

That said, there were some things that I liked. I really enjoyed Ward's character arc. I genuinely felt bad for him, and liked his interactions with Danny. I also liked Colleen, and appreciate that this is the first Marvel show that has the main character in a fairly realistic committed relationship and not just a fling. It's so rare on genre TV shows to see characters in (more or less) happy relationships.
Old 04-06-17, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that these hero series, I am including Netflix, CW, and ABC, should be shorten for tighter story telling. Especially these Netflix ones that are released as a total. LC started off so strong but then fizzled trying to stretch out the series.
Old 04-09-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I wish they went with the revenge angle that the original story arc had. It would have been one fight after another and would have shown IF was a bad ass out of the gate like the comics. I wouldn't have minded if they just sprinkled flashbacks throughout the episodes like the Kung Fu series because that was what they did in the original story.
Yes, I was telling my wife that in the comics Iron Fist has such a great elevator pitch; he turns his back on immortality for revenge. Instead here he just seemed kind of aimless in his motivation for leaving K'un L'un until about episode 10.

And I really, really, really think it is unforgivable that they didn't have any proper flashbacks to K'un L'un. There's a moment in the finale where Danny talks about as a child trying to escape and running into an endless blizzard and hearing his mother's voice crying out. Why isn't this shown? That would have been a powerful moment and we should have seen it, not have it exposition'd to us.
Old 04-09-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't see any compelling need for there to be a season 2. This show was so meh.
Old 04-14-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Finished the season up tonight. It was OK...the writing was subpar compared to the other Marvel shows (well, Jessica Jones and Daredevil) and the fight scenes left alot to be desired (yes, I've heard the quote from Finn Jones that he had very little time to learn the choreography), but it could have been worse. I thought the last few episodes of Luke Cage were much tougher to get through.

I'd rate this show 6.5/10 with Luke Cage being slightly worse at 6.0/10 (for comparison's sake, I think Jessica Jones and Daredevil are fantastic).

I'd watch a 2nd season.
Old 04-16-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I finally started watching this after putting it off for a while. I am on episode 6 and am digging it. I don't get the backlash. Finn is ok in the lead. I like more of the supporting characters, though. The actors that play the siblings are great and so is David Wenham. I didn't recognize he him at first. I also didn't recognize Tom Pelphrey -- he was in Banshee as the ex-Nazi police officer. I think Jessica Henwich and Jessica Stroup are hot.

I'll probably finish this today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.