Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I also don't get a lot of the negativity or complaints about Rand being white. Even as an Asian guy, that seemed silly to me. I don't need a character that's been white all this time to be made Asian just because of the type of story it involves.
Wouldn't it be stereotyping if they did change Danny's ethnicity? It's like saying we all know martial arts and spout eastern philosophy every chance we get. So lame.
Old 03-20-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

I'm 5 episodes in and have been entertained so far. Finn Jones/Danny isn't the strongest lead/actor to carry one of these Marvel/Netflix shows, but I recall some here thinking that Charlie Cox wasn't really a strong lead as Matt Murdock either.

Don't remember Finn Jones at all from Game of Thrones.

And I don't think the 1st 2 episodes were boring at all. It was mostly setup getting Danny integrated back into society.

One thing I'm not really that impressed with is the martial arts fight choreography. I think it was much stronger and frenetic in Daredevil than it is here. Some of the fights seem quite lethargic.

Loving Tom Pelphrey as Ward. I remember him from the last 2 seasons of Banshee and he was great on that series. Character is such a smug douche. He's been the highlight so far. Good villain/adversary to Danny.

Nice to see Rosario Dawson back as Claire Temple. I guess she's the journeyman character in these Marvel shows.

I got a new 4K TV over the holidays and have enjoyed watching this in 4K with HDR. Although the colors and video are a little more vibrant in the day scenes than night.
Old 03-20-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

One thing I'm not really that impressed with is the martial arts fight choreography. I think it was much stronger and frenetic in Daredevil than it is here. Some of the fights seem quite lethargic.
I am not going to fault the series for that

while I'm not a martial arts expert by an means it seems like Daredevil was trained in a more brute force offensive style while IF takes a more defensive/spiritual/cerebral approach

I'm actually glad it is not a clone of DD
Old 03-20-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Still trying to finish this up tonight. I'm on Episode 10 right now. I like this show, but I like both Daredevil and Jessica Jones better. Luke Cage has been the worst of the bunch to me.

While I think the supporting cast is great, I'm not big on Finn Jones as Danny Rand and it has nothing to do with his race. It has more to do with charisma and screen presence. I just have a hard time buying this guy as a kung fu master.

That said, I thought the fights were pretty good when compared to Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. It doesn't top Daredevil, but it's okay in its own right. Looking forward to The Defenders and The Punisher.
Old 03-20-17, 06:40 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I watched the first four episodes. I kinda already feel like the plot is getting dragged out. The first three episodes were repetitive with the "is he really Danny?" stuff.

The cast is fine.

The show doesn't really have a "kung fu" feel. Say what you want about Luke Cage, at least it had some style and stood out from the other shows.

The fight choreography is really a missed opportunity, IMO. This should have some Corey Yuen or Woo-Ping Yuen style stuff going on. Or they should've really try to sell the stunts ala Jackie Chan. Maybe in the later episodes it'll get better...

Overall though, I don't dislike it.
Old 03-20-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I am not going to fault the series for that

while I'm not a martial arts expert by an means it seems like Daredevil was trained in a more brute force offensive style while IF takes a more defensive/spiritual/cerebral approach

I'm actually glad it is not a clone of DD
Yeah, it's sorta neat to spot the little differences in Wing's Japanese martial arts moves versus his Chinese style. They touched on it briefly when she went at his with the sword.

Daredevil's style is basically a mix of various forms. A neat thing the fight choreographers did with Daredevil was as the fights got more brutal and exhausting they had him ditch basically everything except boxing. They wanted to give a subtle callback to his dad's boxing and heart so when Matt needs to dig deep he calls on his dad for help.
Old 03-20-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Daredevil's style is basically a mix of various forms. A neat thing the fight choreographers did with Daredevil was as the fights got more brutal and exhausting they had him ditch basically everything except boxing. They wanted to give a subtle callback to his dad's boxing and heart so when Matt needs to dig deep he calls on his dad for help.
yep, great point
Old 03-20-17, 08:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know... at ep 10 now.

Let me preface that I've never read the comics, but I dont really like the ironfist character (as protrayed in this show) that much. Seems like a bratty little 10yr old kid in an adult body. Ohhhh.... Im so angry, I got tricked by the Hand. wah wah wah. let's make a funny face and throw a temper tantrum!!! Someone needs to smack that guy in the face.

I wont even go into this naive attitude with how the world works!

On the actor and show itself. Why did they pick Finn? I think everyone here has complained about the lackluster fight scenes... Not sure if it's the choreography, or if it's the limitation of Finn, but the fight scenes were lacking.
And Finn just doesn't look athletic. We dont need some big muscular superhero, but Finn just looks like some little skinny wimp (no muscle at all, and no tone). Just not very believable as force to be reckoned with.

Easily the worst of the Marvel shows in my opinion... yes, below Luke Cage.
Old 03-20-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL, as much as I was enjoying this, damn does this get crazy stupid at episodes 10 and 11
Old 03-21-17, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx

Let me preface that I've never read the comics, but I dont really like the ironfist character (as protrayed in this show) that much. Seems like a bratty little 10yr old kid in an adult body. Ohhhh.... Im so angry, I got tricked by the Hand. wah wah wah. let's make a funny face and throw a temper tantrum!!! Someone needs to smack that guy in the face.

I feel like the reason for him being a little childish and naive is because he was taken from his life and transported to a mystical place for 15 years. He's somewhat of a fish out of water. I'm surprised he even knows how to have sex.
Old 03-21-17, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I feel like the reason for him being a little childish and naive is because he was taken from his life and transported to a mystical place for 15 years. He's somewhat of a fish out of water. I'm surprised he even knows how to have sex.
I thought about that, but unless this mystical place he was taken to was for spoiled children, it doesn't make any sense.

He was suppose to be trained as a warrior, there's even a scene where he's hardened via a beating/caning... you simply don't act like a whiny spoiled child-adult after a decade off this.
Old 03-21-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm only 3 episodes in, but surprised to see positive comments about Ward and the supporting cast. The Meachums in general have all been pretty poor to me on the acting front.
Old 03-21-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They get much better once the whole "Danny Rand is dead!" disbelief bit ends; the characters get other things to do.
Old 03-21-17, 11:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

On the actor and show itself. Why did they pick Finn? I think everyone here has complained about the lackluster fight scenes... Not sure if it's the choreography, or if it's the limitation of Finn, but the fight scenes were lacking.
And Finn just doesn't look athletic. We dont need some big muscular superhero, but Finn just looks like some little skinny wimp (no muscle at all, and no tone). Just not very believable as force to be reckoned with.
Agree, based on the shows, I'd take the Punisher (or Daredevil) in a fight against him
Old 03-21-17, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
Agree, based on the shows, I'd take the Punisher (or Daredevil) in a fight against him
Hell, if I needed backup in tough situtation, I'd rather have Rosario Dawson than Finn Jones!
Old 03-21-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I think over time people's positive reviews will be adjusted more towards the negative.
Old 03-21-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easily the worst of the Marvel shows in my opinion... yes, below Luke Cage.
That's about right for Kung Fu practitioners. They are usually pretty soft looking. I'm not saying he couldn't look better, but speed, flexibility, and farm is more important than strength. I briefly training with a Wushu world champion and even in his glory days photos he didn't look all that impressive. His knuckles were the scariest part of his body. They had all been broken and calcified into these hard lumps. When you shook his hand it felt like they were like crab claws.
Old 03-21-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think over time people's positive reviews will be adjusted more towards the negative.
I keep hoping this will happen with the overrated Daredevil but doesn't seem to be happening. So far Iron Fist is more entertaining than DD.
Old 03-21-17, 01:42 PM

That's about right for Kung Fu practitioners. They are usually pretty soft looking. I'm not saying he couldn't look better, but speed, flexibility, and farm is more important than strength. I briefly training with a Wushu world champion and even in his glory days photos he didn't look all that impressive. His knuckles were the scariest part of his body. They had all been broken and calcified into these hard lumps. When you shook his hand it felt like they were like crab claws.
I get that in part, but there are also many with martial artists with fantastic tone.

And if you're going to make a tv show, especially in an era when everyone cast are basically models, I'd expect to see a person with the tone of a Bruce Lee, rather than what we currently get with the current Iron Fist:

Old 03-21-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm 4 episodes in and part of me wishes they had just started him out in the suit, fighting the Hand.
Old 03-21-17, 04:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I just saw a tweet from an interview with Finn Jones and he said he was learning the fight choreography 15 minutes before the scene because of the crazy schedule..... It shows.
Old 03-21-17, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
I just saw a tweet from an interview with Finn Jones and he said he was learning the fight choreography 15 minutes before the scene because of the crazy schedule..... It shows.
what a terrible terrible casting decision. Iron Fist should have been an easy transition to the tv screen and I had a real high hopes for this character.
Old 03-21-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's about right for Kung Fu practitioners. They are usually pretty soft looking. I'm not saying he couldn't look better, but speed, flexibility, and farm is more important than strength.
He should at least look cut like an athlete. He is sporting a big ass dragon tattoo on his chest.
Old 03-21-17, 08:26 PM

alright... finished the series. Does anyone notice that in that scene where he gets stabbed by Bukido, he screams like a girl?

And what the hell is up with the "fight" scene with Harold? first he kicks him to the ground then runs away?
Then nearly loses a fight with Harold even though he's supposed to be some bad ass warrior?

Old 03-21-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Harold did have a little buildup to being a significant threat.

There were only a few moments where Danny used his real powers. I thought they set him up as being a bit weak. Did they purposely change up the formula, leaving so many details for future seasons? No suit. No hidden city. Only a handful of instances of using his 'real' powers.

I like the way Marvel (especially on Netflix) takes time to make us understand the villains. It lets them shift their intentions back and forth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.