Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

Old 03-18-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

In Mid-Stream - Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) - TV-MA

The son of a billionaire whose family was thought dead, after 15 years suddenly shows up at the family company's doorstep on the eve of an important international deal. Danny Rand, whose survived the plane crash that claimed his parents, was found by mysterious monks who rescued him and taught him some deep secrets of the martial arts, that have enabled him to become an "Iron Fist" master.

The current controllers of the family business are not happy with the sudden reappearance and have him committed briefly as a crazy pretender. Tables turn as Danny slowly but eventually convinces everyone he is who he claims. Along the way, he finds an ally in Colleen Wing, a no-nonsense sensei running a neighborhood dojo, and Jeri Hogarth, the lawyer who's already made appearances in other Netflix Marvel shows Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and the upcoming Defenders series.

So far, I've only seen the first four episodes and, despite some of the negative reviews that preceded the series premiere, I can say that I am really enjoying this new entry in the Netflix/Marvel streaming stable of programs. Yes, it a slow burn out of the gate, the action is a little lighter in the first few episodes than we are used to, but I fully expect things to heat up soon, as ties to The Hand are revealed in the early shows, plus cage fighting as an interesting sub-plot so far. Rand has yet to release to full power of the "Iron Fist" as of episode 4, but we have had some brief tastes of the energy that will eventually be unleashed, and I just watched an entertaining hallway/elevator fight in the 4th episode.

I think the cast is fine for what they are called to do, and I can't wait to see how things will continue to develop, and how Iron Fist will eventually fit into the overall team dynamic of The Defenders, coming to Netflix later this year.

So far, I am giving Marvel's Iron Fist a solid 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers, based on what I have seen so far. I am looking forward to possibly finishing up the series over the next few days.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Iron Fist is rated TV-MA, though the first few episodes haven't had any content stronger than PG-13. There is occasional use of s**t, and I heard one or two g-d**n in the first four hours. So far there has been no sex or innuendo, so I assume the rating is primarily for the martial arts violence (but little blood) and the intensity of Danny's brief time in a psychiatric hospital. A man is hit in the head by a sword, but little blood is shown. Of course, I still have six episodes to go, so things could definitely escalate a bit.

Starting with episode 5, however, the blood and violence quota begins to increase significantly, with stabbings, decapitation, body parts cut off, and a lot more blood and gore. There is also a sexual encounter between two primary characters in episode 7.

SHARE this review with family and friends, and LIKE my page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 03-18-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 03:04 PM

Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

My thoughts about Finn Jones - he is playing Danny Rand as someone with the enthusiasm and determination of a 10-year-old, so I get the immaturity aspect of how he's approaching the character.
Old 03-18-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm on Episode 4 right now and will probably binge on this the rest of the night. I am surprised that I like it as much as I do. I feel it's better than Luke Cage. Finn Jones is pretty bland and I believe the character is kind of stupid, but I'm liking the story despite this.
Old 03-18-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just saw the whole season, I thought it was pretty good, I'd rank the shows daredevil s2, daredevil s1, iron fist, Jessica jones, and Luke cage.

Bring on the defenders.
Old 03-18-17, 10:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm three episodes in and loving in. I know critics may not like it, but Iron Fist and the whole martial arts thing is my jam.
Old 03-18-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Good show. And goodbye Saturday.

Nice lead-in to Season 2. Hope they can do something good with the monastery place. I'm kind of surprised they didn't spend an episode or two there.
Old 03-19-17, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only two episodes in, but so far my biggest complaint is it really needs to do more showing in lieu of telling. Even little things, like when Colleen tells him that he wouldn't like getting hit with a practice sword, a brief flash of young Danny getting whacked before he responds to her would be nice. We definitely should have seen at least some of him in K'un L'un when he's telling the doc the basic version of his origin.
Old 03-19-17, 02:10 AM

Just found out the actor who plays Ward was Kurt Bunker on Bansheee, i like him now ! basically anyone from Banshee i love
Old 03-19-17, 02:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 574 Likes on 333 Posts

I just finished Ep 2 and I like the show. I didn't read any of thr advance reviews, or the trash talk.
Old 03-19-17, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

Just finished the last episode. I really liked it! I knew nothing of the character beforehand. I liked Danny's impulsiveness and his initial innocence and naivete. Also really liked Colleen. I didn't realize until I looked her up on IMDB that the actress is one of the Sand Snakes on GoT. And Rosario Dawson as Claire is always great and a cool way to tie all the Marvel/Netflix shows together. Are the claws part of her character from the comics?

One problem some of these shows--including Iron Fist--have is waffling around on who the big villain for the season is. Here it seemed to be Ward, Gao, Ward again, Harold, Gao again, Bokuto, and then finally settling back on Harold.

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Only two episodes in, but so far my biggest complaint is it really needs to do more showing in lieu of telling. Even little things, like when Colleen tells him that he wouldn't like getting hit with a practice sword, a brief flash of young Danny getting whacked before he responds to her would be nice. We definitely should have seen at least some of him in K'un L'un when he's telling the doc the basic version of his origin.
I agree that it would have been good to see more scenes of Danny growing up in K'un Lun. For someone raised by monks in a hidden temple in the Himalayas for the past 15 years, he seemed to acclimate to New York pretty easily.

Those are not big quibbles, though. I had a lot of fun watching it. I'd probably rank it about even with Jessica Jones, which I'd rank a little lower than both seasons of Daredevil. I'd rank Iron Fist above Luke Cage, though I enjoyed Luke Cage, too.

I'm very much looking forward to the Defenders series now.
Old 03-19-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

The disparity between the ratings the critics gave this show and what the fans are rating it is pretty huge. Curious as to why that is. It does sound like the show has flaws but doesn't seem like it should be anywhere near the rotten critic rating it has.
Old 03-19-17, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fans of these marvel shows are very forgiving, in general. i think they like anything tbh. thats not to say the shows are horrible
Old 03-19-17, 05:13 PM

I thought the stuff with Rand Corporation, Harold, Ward, and Joy was the best part of the series. Was all of that in the comics?

The stuff about Danny was decent once it go at past the first couple of episodes.
Old 03-19-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'm wondering if the criticism the show has received is more to do with the "controversy" surrounding the character's ethnicity leaking into some of the reviews to be honest. Even though that's stupid because Danny has always been a white guy in the comics but there's a pretty vocal group insisting that he should have been Asian.
Old 03-19-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Only 2 episodes in and it's ok. It's not amazing like Daredevil, but I don't find anything particularly bad about it either. The first two episodes are better then the last few of Luke Cage for me anyway

I also don't get a lot of the negativity or complaints about Rand being white. Even as an Asian guy, that seemed silly to me. I don't need a character that's been white all this time to be made Asian just because of the type of story it involves. But i've been consistent with matching the comics just as I have been with the movies.
Old 03-19-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm only through 4 episodes, but I like it enough. 16% on RT, wow. Seems overly harsh from the critics.

The only complaint I have so far has been the shitty rap music.
Old 03-20-17, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
16% on RT, wow. Seems overly harsh from the critics.
I think the critics expect netflix to keep crank out Emmy level content as they have in the past or something more along the lines of HBO content as far as production etc. When your average netflix fan is just really happy to have something 100% new to watch. Same for anyone who is into the super hero stuff.

I had never even heard of the Iron Fist before the show dropped. I think the fight scenes should of been punched up a little bit but other wise I really like the show. The pace can seem a little slow here or there but it's a binge show on Netflix.

Now maybe if it was a weekly show, with ads, I'm not as happy waiting a week to get a new boardroom scene. Yet on netflix? I don't care..

I think critics lose sight of the market space. What was some of the other *cough* "new" March netflix watching options? Segal in Asian Connection, re-rewatch The Waterboy or maybe catch one of what seems like 100+ random bollywood films netflix added?
Old 03-20-17, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't avoid super hero stuff but I don't seek them out either. I knew nothing about Iron Fist so I went into this unprepared.

For something called Iron Fist I was expecting at least some decent and entertaining fight scenes, but they didn't deliver. I've seen amateur home made choreographed videos on youtube that would easily blow every Iron Fist fight scene out the water. Which is a shame considering how much stunt talent was involved in the show.

The rest was so-so and not overly engaging. I thought it was average at best.
Old 03-20-17, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
I thought the stuff with Rand Corporation, Harold, Ward, and Joy was the best part of the series. Was all of that in the comics?
Haven't seen the show yet but in the comics,
Spoiler:
Danny's father is killed by his business partner, Harold Meachum, while looking for the hidden city of K'un-L'un. Danny and his mom escape from Meachum but she gets killed by wolves and Danny is rescued by warriors from K'un-L'un. He spends the next ten years being trained in martial arts, obtains the power of the Iron Fist, and leaves to seek revenge on Meachum.

When he gets back to New York, he finds that Meachum lost his legs to frostbite a decade earlier and is a shell of his former self. Iron Fist rejects his quest for revenge but Harold is killed by a mysterious ninja. Joy walks in on this and blames Iron Fist for murdering her father. Joy calls in her uncle Ward and they conspire to kill Iron Fist, sending a bunch of villains his way.

Last edited by dex14; 03-20-17 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 03-20-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well the critics can go fuck themselves because this is way better than they made it appear to be. I decided to watch the first episode as i was going to bed to kinda get it out of the way and see just how bad it was. I ended up watching 4 episodes and would have watched more if I didnt have to get up for work today.

I really am enjoying it despite some legitimate flaws such as the lead is kinda weak and not very charismatic and the fights aren't the best, but they are decent enough. But the brief moments of him actually channeling the Iron Fist is something I have been waiting to see in live action since I was a kid reading Iron Fist. I loved the character as i was obsessed with martial arts stuff and superpowers as a kid so Iron First was the perfect blend of that for me at that time.

Seeing him blow the door off the hospital was up there with pretty much any moment in all of the Marvel Netflix shows for me. I also loved the little thing like with the hatchet in the elevator when he shattered it as Iron Fist. Love it.

Cant wait to watch the rest of this and I was dreading it based on the initial reviews and thought it would be a chore to slog though like Daredevil which I just can't get through. But I will binge this tonight and tomorrow at the latest.
Old 03-20-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm 3 episodes in, and I can see all the criticisms. I haven't felt the need to binge, and the action scenes are downright terrible.

Also, Danny is annoyingly dumb and trusting. Maybe that's how he is in the comics, I don't know, but it actually irritated me when he was telling the Doc about where he was those 15 years right when he was about to be released. Just shut your mouth and get released.
Old 03-20-17, 11:31 AM

I'm up to episode 7 and really enjoying it

IT's a bit inconsistent with Danny's martial arts ability. Sometimes he's kicking ass and can't even get touched by another martial arts expert like colleen, other times he's struggling with a street level thug.

As the iron fist, he should be pretty much untouchable even without using his iron fist except against only the absolute elite
Old 03-20-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The first two episodes were boring to me. After that the show got better and better until they get to China. After that the show went downhill for me.

The Bad
The bad guys were weak. Compared to Fisk and Killgrave the bad guys in this were dull.
The fights were not very good except for a few exceptions(drunken fight)
Danny had no character growth and was a boring character.
The first girl Danny meets just happens to be Hand agent.
The story was just bad and plot points were really dumb

The Good
Night nurse, Wing, Trinity were all good.
Easter Egg tie ins are always fun

I didn't hate the show but it is the worse of the comic shows out for me. I think they should have combined Luke Cage and Iron Fist into one show. I also wish they ended this series with Danny in jail sharing a cell with Luke. I thought that is where they were going when the police show up.
Old 03-20-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Colleen Wing in workout attire =

Reason enough to watch this show.
Old 03-20-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the whole season over the weekend. It was good, not great. Better than Luke Cage but not as good as Daredevil. The fight scenes are boring and amateurish. Too many swerves and I am losing track of who are the real bad?

Collen Wing is HOT. Didn't know the actress was one of the Sand girl GOT.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.