Reload this Page >

Survivor: Game Changers (S34E01/02) -- "The Stakes Have Been Raised" -- 3/8/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-08-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

IT'S AN EPIC SHOWDOWN AS TWO LEGENDS IN "SURVIVOR" HISTORY SET THEIR SIGHTS ON ONE ANOTHER, ON THE TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8

The Premiere of "Game Changers" Marks the 500th Episode of the Series

"The Stakes Have Been Raised" - It's an epic showdown as two legends in SURVIVOR history set their sights on one another, on the two-hour season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, March 8 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Also, two castaways attempt to put their past behind them and start a new game while another castaway introduces the "spy shack" 2.0.

The season premiere of "Game Changers" marks the 500th episode of the series.

"Mana" Tribe "Nuku" Tribe

Michaela Bradshaw Andrea Boehlke

Aubry Bracco Brad Culpepper

Sandra Diaz-Twine Sierra Dawn-Thomas

Ciera Eastin Cirie Fields

Malcolm Freberg Sarah Lacina

Hali Ford Oscar "Ozzy" Lusth

Caleb Reynolds Zeke Smith

Troyzan Robertson James "J.T" Thomas

Jeff Varner Tai Trang

Tony Vlachos Debbie Wanner

Season 34 premieres tonight. It's 2 Hours and it's a new All-Star Ediiton
Old 03-08-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Survivor: Game Changers (S34E01/02) -- "The Stakes Have Been Raised" -- 3/8/17

I said to myself the first time I read the list, "The first thing you want to do is drive a spear through Sandra's beating heart". This proves I was right, and they all better wise up.
Old 03-08-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts
Re: Survivor: Game Changers (S34E01/02) -- "The Stakes Have Been Raised" -- 3/8/17

Clearly they didn't show us a lot if Tony was voting for Aubry, and Aubry was voting for Tony.

Sorry to see Ciera go so quickly, but we've already seen her twice, and I'd like to see Michaela stick around a little longer.

I guess Probst finally held his breath long enough to get his buddy Brad Culpepper back on the show.

"Say hello to Ciera for me"
Old 03-08-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

After Tony got voted off, I was thinking, shit, Sandra is going to pull off a threepeat.

Then she started shooting her mouth off.

He thing was always flying under everyone's radar. Now she's reminding everyone that she's the queen. I predict she's off before the merge.
Old 03-08-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Then she started shooting her mouth off.

He thing was always flying under everyone's radar. Now she's reminding everyone that she's the queen. I predict she's off before the merge.
IMO, she was viewed as non-threatening twice, but she's always shot her mouth off. To me her big mouth is what she's known for as a player.
Old 03-08-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Clearly they didn't show us a lot if Tony was voting for Aubry, and Aubry was voting for Tony.
Sandra voted for Aubry. She talked about it during the episode and while she was casting the vote. She was worried about an idol. If Tony did have an idol, his vote would have decided who went home and Sandra thought he was writing her name down.

edit: Sorry, I read that wrong. lol

Last edited by dino88; 03-08-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How did Culpepper end up on this season? Didn't he get voted out early during his first season? I thought his wife lasted much longer than him. How did he change the game?

I wish Tony would have stuck around a little longer. I would have loved to see him use the spy bunker.
Old 03-08-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I have no recollection at all of Sierra from One World.
Old 03-08-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
How did Culpepper end up on this season? Didn't he get voted out early during his first season? I thought his wife lasted much longer than him. How did he change the game?
It was clear the first time around that Probst loved him for some reason or another. Its the same reason why Andrew Savage got an undeserved second shot at it.

I thought he was a jackass, but not in an effective or particularly memorable way. Remember this is the guy who filed a workman's comp claim against the NFL claiming that he was 89% disabled. He's now played Survivor twice since then.
Old 03-09-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed the very beginning - Did they pick the tribes at random, or were they producer chosen?

Also I hope Mana gets obliterated for their stupidity. Vote Ciera off? Sure. But weaken the tribe and keep Sandra around? Sandra didn't even get any votes?
Old 03-09-17, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
I missed the very beginning - Did they pick the tribes at random, or were they producer chosen?

Also I hope Mana gets obliterated for their stupidity. Vote Ciera off? Sure. But weaken the tribe and keep Sandra around? Sandra didn't even get any votes?
Producer chosen, I guess, -we didn't see a pick.
Probst likes older players and CBS does not. However, CBS demanded Ozzy (along with young players), and Probst wanted Jeff Varner.
Old 03-09-17, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Do you have to have watched prior seasons when doing a new season? I haven't watched a full season, just bits and pieces here and there. I just bought a season pass on Amazon because half the fun is keeping up with the threads and people talking about it. Amazon puts it out a day after so I'll be back tonight after I watch it
Old 03-09-17, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Do you have to have watched prior seasons when doing a new season? I haven't watched a full season, just bits and pieces here and there. I just bought a season pass on Amazon because half the fun is keeping up with the threads and people talking about it. Amazon puts it out a day after so I'll be back tonight after I watch it
Not at all...I stopped watching Survivor for years and only recently (past 5 seasons or so) started watching again...I basically was waiting for them to finally go HD with the broadcasts, which adds a lot to the enjoyment.
Old 03-09-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

So sad we'll never see Tony finish his underground "spy bunker" Though it may have ended up with him just lying in a shallow hole covered with leaves

Damn, the years have not been kind to JT. I almost didn't recognize him.

Don't know if anyone here ever browses the survivorsucks forums, but if you do beware. Some jackass spoiled the final 3 in the title of a thread (in the "non-spoilers" section) I hope at least one of them gets voted out soon so I can enjoy the season without thinking it was spoiled. I should've known better. Not just survivorsucks, but pretty much all non- DVDTalk Survivor places of online discussion are very vulnerable to idiots just wanting to ruin it for everyone.

Previews for next week
Spoiler:
well those two tribes didn't last long Looks like we're going to 3 teams of 6. I hope Ozzy at least gets the nice shelter since he's the only reason they got the tools to make it.
Old 03-09-17, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TONY!!!!!

Sad to see him go so soon, I was hoping to get at least 4-5 episodes.

Sandra really is amazing. To come back as a 2-time winner, go to Tribal Council twice when most of the Tribe is talking about the importance of physical strength to win challenges, and not get a single vote cast against her is unbelievable.
Old 03-09-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

Damn, the years have not been kind to JT. I almost didn't recognize him.
He obviously didn't use the money on dental work.

Varner's also a mess. He was useless in that snake challenge.
Old 03-09-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to see Ciera go. Now if Sandra is off next week I can enjoy the rest of the season.
Old 03-09-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm disappointed we don't get to see his spy bunker in action wtf did he really think people wouldn't see him there?
Old 03-09-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Jeff Probst has a major hard-on for alpha male types like Culpepper. He practically sucks Colby's dick every time he goes on.
Old 03-09-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

at the 2nd tribal council with Sandra talking shit to Tony when he was voted out.

I don't like her, but that was awesome. She is such a bitch.

"Say hi to Ciera for me."
Old 03-09-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Glad that Cirie/Sandra seem to be targets. I'm not convinced that Sandra worked any special magic. Tony just acted too much like a lunatic.
Old 03-10-17, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first ep is up, I haven't watched it yet, I'm watching the five minute preview first.... someone voted out their mom?!?!?! That's cold.

I'm going for Cirie and Ozzy, the two I remember Cirie was awesome, didn't do anything in the camp, lazy as all heck, not good at challenges, and people kept her around because she wasn't a threat, and all of a sudden she's like in the last 3 or 4? That was awesome.
Old 03-10-17, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly, found the first episode enjoyable. Maybe that's due to severely-lowered expectations; maybe it's due to being familiar with almost all the participants (except Hali? Can't place her at all...seems she is returning primarily as eye candy).

Waste of time complaining about the usual stuff (which has become standard by now), so better just to roll with it and laugh (One note: We wanted to have an M&M challenge every time someone mentioned "game change(r)" in some context. I'll bet Probst promised each one an extra $5 each time they did that).

The spy bunker was awesome (especially since people had already noted the dug up spot as soon as T. began work on his "covert" operation). Loved watching him snake-crawl into the bushes...and the fact that lying in the weeds accomplished everything the "bunker" was supposed to do. That was our first thought...if you're wanting to overhear conversations, why not just hide in the brush??? Hate to say it, but T. will be missed. Ciera...nah.

You do have to wonder how long some of these modern-day players would last in the early days of Survivor when the finalists really resembled haggard, starving castaways. These days, the contestants comparatively live like royals. Not that the producers should be blamed...if things had proceeded like the early days, someone was going to have a fatal heart attack and the final challenges would have continued to be a bunch of scarecrows staggering around trying to stay on their feet.

It would be great to be a fly on the wall of the producers' offices to hear the initial wish list for this season's theme to see which possibilities either refused or were rejected for some reason. Our biggest gripe is when four-time players and two-time winners are invited back, although people like Ozzy & Sandra really do fit the theme and are fun to watch.

Overall, pretty good start to season. And great to see the producers start manipulating the results right off the bat ("Drop your buffs!") without the pretense that they'll let things play out naturally for a while. Won't be long before some staff member will be tossing out immunity idols and hitting people in the head with them (hope they toss one Debbie's way...she's a hoot).
Old 03-10-17, 02:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question about the "legacy" advantage.

I think the rules for playing it said that it had to be used either with 13 players remaining or with 6 players remaining (or did they say anytime between #13 and #6 eliminations?).

The thing is that one caveat was that if the recipient gets voted out before using it, he/she has to give it to another player.

How would that rule be enforced? If someone gets voted out, they're gone anyway. It would be funny to see her just reveal to the tribe that she has it, turn to Jeff P., and then say, "Hey, in the spirit of this season, I'm changing the rules" and just toss it in the fire. They'd probably just hide another one somewhere (and maybe never invite the person back for a future season), but it would be interesting, especially if they didn't like any of the remaining contestants or were irked about being blindsided.

Speaking of blindsides...was the voting off of Ciera really a "blindside?" She may not have seen it coming for sure (few do), but she knew that she was up for consideration.

To me, a true blindside is when a person is absolutely confident that he/she is safe and has no idea that they're in danger...and gets the rug pulled out from them. When that happens, you can usually see the shock and disbelief registered in their face, sometimes with anger, confusion, betrayal, and other emotions thrown in. Ciera seemed pretty resigned to her fate once the votes started stacking up and didn't seem surprised. It just sounded like Jeff P. pumping up the volume.

Early on, I kind of like Crazy Debbie and Troyzan. Ozzy & J.T. have gone to seed a little bit unless they were packing on a few extra pounds so they would have some spares in the trunk. Andrea looks like she may be carrying some extra provisions, too.

Here's a link with Jeff P. talking about the first three episodes (no spoiler alerts necessary) and why Andrea was chosen. According to him, she was always willing to go all in and play (although it's pointed out that she didn't play an idol when she had the chance). It's funny when Jeff P. is put on the spot and asked how her game had changed and he squirms a bit before evading and saying that he can't really put his finger on it because it's "too nuanced."

Translation: Still eye candy.

Link: http://people.com/tv/jeff-probst-on-...n-of-survivor/

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-10-17 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the middle of the ep, ok, is it really the best idea to put someone who lost the puzzle before to do the puzzle again?? It's disappointing to lose the puzzle twice.... uuuhhhh maybe you suck at puzzles Put someone else in charge of the puzzle!!

Wow, finished the ep, and I'm wondering what took me so long to start watching. That was awesome!! Although if I was Sandra I wouldn't have talked smack after the vote, I would have just kept quiet instead of exclaiming, I AM QUEEN!!!! Keep that for the private camera, not for tribal council.

Now why exactly did Sandra and Tony vote for Aubrey instead of for each other?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-10-17 at 04:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.