Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I thought Sarandon and Lange were neck and neck for the Emmy, but after that finale I'm pretty sure Lange has it locked. Brilliant.
It would be great if Lange won but isn't able to attend and they have Sarandon accept on her behalf.
Old 04-27-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It would be great if Lange won but isn't able to attend and they have Sarandon Tim Robbins accept on her behalf.
ftfy
Old 04-28-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Resemblance is not an acting trait. It's not what makes a great performance.
Really? You don't say!

If someone is playing an actual person and is able to make me forget about the actress and start feeling like she is truly inhabiting that character, there is more going on than just a resemblance. Over the course of the season, I felt the cadence of speech from Sarandon, the gestures, the looks were all spot on, as if she really was that person and not just an imitation. I didn't think I needed to write all that, but I guess I did.
Old 04-28-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Really? You don't say!

If someone is playing an actual person and is able to make me forget about the actress and start feeling like she is truly inhabiting that character, there is more going on than just a resemblance. Over the course of the season, I felt the cadence of speech from Sarandon, the gestures, the looks were all spot on, as if she really was that person and not just an imitation. I didn't think I needed to write all that, but I guess I did.
agree with you completely. I never forgot that Sarandon was Sarandon (so to speak) but at times she really did seem to embody the Davis I was familiar with. Lange never really evoked Crawford for me, -physically she didn't match my memory from movies from the period, and she just didn't strike me as the scary, imposing woman that she was to me.
Old 05-14-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just binge watched and enjoyed very much. Excellent performances all around. I loved Mamacita.
Old 07-03-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Olivia de Havilland Files Lawsuit Over ‘Feud’ Portrayal

Olivia de Havilland, who won two Oscars during Hollywood’s golden age, filed a lawsuit on Friday against FX Networks and Ryan Murphy Productions over her gossipy portrayal in the television show “Feud: Bette and Joan.”

“FX defendants misappropriated Olivia de Havilland’s name, likeness and identity without her permission and used them falsely in order to exploit their own commercial interests,” the lawsuit says. Ms. de Havilland, 101, is seeking damages for “emotional harm” and “harm to her reputation,” and is also pushing for an injunction against the use of her name and likeness.

“Feud: Bette and Joan” portrays the decades-long rivalry between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, and is part of Mr. Murphy’s larger FX anthology series depicting feuds throughout history. Ms. de Havilland and Davis were close friends and starred in four films together, including “Hush … Hush, Sweet Charlotte.” In the series, Ms. de Havilland, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, is an important character, appearing in six episodes as a confidante to Davis and an active participant in the Davis-Crawford drama.

The lawsuit rejects both the quotes attributed to Ms. de Havilland and the overall tone of the portrayal. “Olivia de Havilland has made efforts, spent time and money, protecting her well-defined public image as one who does not engage in gossip and other unkind, ill-mannered behavior,” the lawsuit reads.

Mr. Murphy, the creator of “Feud,” told the The Hollywood Reporter in April that he did not contact de Havilland about her portrayal in the series.

“I didn’t write Olivia because I didn’t want to be disrespectful and ask her, ‘Did this happen? Did that happen? What was your take on that?’” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/02/a...portrayal.html
Old 07-03-17, 08:45 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I really don't see the purpose of suing someone at 101.
Old 07-03-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

That's kind of a bummer, actually. You'd think being portrayed sympathetically and by Catherine Zeta Jones would be inoffensive for a public figure. Olivia came off way-better than Bette or Joan did. The worst things you could say about her were that she was firmly on Bette's side (she was), she hated her sister (well-documented) and she apparently looked AMAZING in 1978 (that's TV-generous).
Old 07-03-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That's kind of a bummer, actually. You'd think being portrayed sympathetically and by Catherine Zeta Jones would be inoffensive for a public figure. Olivia came off way-better than Bette or Joan did. The worst things you could say about her were that she was firmly on Bette's side (she was), she hated her sister (well-documented) and she apparently looked AMAZING in 1978 (that's TV-generous).
All of the above.

Yeah, I don't get the lawsuit. She came across on the show very well. Probably just an agent or relative seeing a way to a quick buck and convinced her to sign her name on the dotted line to sue.
Old 03-27-18, 09:31 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

FEUD: Olivia de Havilland's Lawsuit Against FX Drama Dismissed by Court
http://tvline.com/2018/03/27/feud-ol...yan-murphy-fx/