Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chicago Justice (NBC) -- Series Thread -- S: Winchester, Weathers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-01-17, 07:32 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Just like their brethren in the Chicago P.D., the State's Attorney's dedicated team of prosecutors and investigators navigate heated city politics and controversy head-on, while fearlessly pursuing justice. As they take on the city's high-stakes and often media-frenzied cases, they must balance public opinion, power struggles within the system and their unwavering passion for the law. At the center of the show is prosecutor Peter Stone (Philip Winchester), the ambitious Assistant State's Attorney and Deputy Chief of the Special Prosecutions Bureau. Relentless in his quest for justice, it's more than a job for Stone, it's a purpose. Son of renowned New York City District Attorney Ben Stone (from "Law & Order"), Stone is shooting at a target that only he can see. This often puts him in direct conflict with Mark Jefferies (Carl Weathers), the Cook County State's Attorney who sees the world through a political prism. While Jefferies believes that a good prosecutor gives the jury and the public a clear, clean and digestible narrative, Stone is convinced the law isn't always best served in a sound bite. Together with their team, Stone and Jefferies strive to bring some much-needed justice to the city of Chicago. The team also includes Assistant State's Attorney Anna Valdez (Monica Barbaro), a passionate newcomer, who's more flexible and willing to bend the rules to get the right result; Laura Nagel (Joelle Carter), a tough-as-nails State's Attorney Investigator that sees each case through the eyes of the victim; and Antonio Dawson (Jon Seda, formerly on "Chicago P.D."), a level-headed and by-the-book detective turned Chief Investigator.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Carl Weathers as Mark Jefferies
· Joelle Carter as Laura Nagel
· Jon Seda as Antonio Dawson
· Monica Barbaro as Anna Valdez
· Philip Winchester as Peter Stone

RECURRING/PREVIOUS CAST INFORMATION:
· Nazneen Contractor as Dawn Harper (Pilot)
· Ryan-James Hatanaka as Daren Okada (Pilot)

CREW INFORMATION:
· Arthur Forney as EP
· Derek Haas as CRTR/EP
· Dick Wolf as CRTR/EP
· Jean de Segonzac as DIR (Pilot)
· Matt Olmstead as CRTR/EP
· Michael Brandt as CRTR/EP
· Michael S. Chernuchin as EP
· Peter Jankowski as EP

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7feHTqlUqHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13 episode first season.
Old 03-07-17, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: Chicago Justice (NBC) -- Series Thread -- S: Winchester, Weathers

Just caught the 1st episode that aired last week.

It was actually part 3 of the 3-part story arc with Fire and PD. If you don't follow any of the Chicago shows, you would have been completely lost.

The case was about a Warehouse fire that killed 30+ young kids who were partying. I think it was loosely based on the 2016 Oakland Warehouse that killed 36 from December.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...304-story.html

Sunday's "Premiere" was actually a standalone case of the week.

Kind of weird seeing Winchester go from playing an action hero to a suit and tie lawyer. But, I get that he's a working actor and needs a regular paycheck.
Old 03-07-17, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just caught the 1st episode that aired last week.

It was actually part 3 of the 3-part story arc with Fire and PD. If you don't follow any of the Chicago shows, you would have been completely lost.

The case was about a Warehouse fire that killed 30+ young kids who were partying. I think it was loosely based on the 2016 Oakland Warehouse that killed 36 from December.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...304-story.html

Sunday's "Premiere" was actually a standalone case of the week.

Kind of weird seeing Winchester go from playing an action hero to a suit and tie lawyer. But, I get that he's a working actor and needs a regular paycheck.
I am a huge Dick Wolf fan due to the Law & Order franchise and was very hopeful when Chicago Fire was announced. That show has been a huge letdown as the writing and acting is basic at best. i never even tried Chicago PD due to 'Fire'.

I was hoping the L&O 'feel' may possibly have been re-surfaced with Justice.

Nope. same cheesy writing to appeal to the current lazy viewer.

I'm still sad that L&O was cancelled as that current cast was still fresh with Anthony Anderson, Jeremy Sisto, the great Sam Waterston, Connie, and Cutter (I liked him as the heir-apparent). But no... NBC decided to stick with SVU that should have been taken off life support when Chris Meloni left.

/rant

I digress, it was cool seeing Richard Brooks and a nod to the Ben Stone character.

Last edited by stopgap; 03-07-17 at 11:11 AM. Reason: paragraph structure
Old 03-07-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Just caught the 2nd episode from Sunday, which ^^ is referencing.

I have to agree it was a pretty lazy and by the numbers plot. Kevin Atwater is one of the main characters on Chicago PD. There was no way that he was going to be convicted of manslaughter. Of course Antonio was going to find out the truth in the nick of time to save him.

I'm not a fan of plots that attempt to put doubt into a "good" character. It feels very manufactured.

I did like seeing Robinette from Law and Order again and Stone giving a call to his Dad also from the mother ship.

I'm invested in the entire Chicago franchise, so I'll continue to watch and I like Winchester and Jon Seda. But, this episode was a dud.

Also, just realized that Valdez, the young Latina Lawyer assisting Stone, was "Hot Rachel" from UnReal's 2nd season.
Old 03-07-17, 01:25 PM

Just caught the 2nd episode from Sunday, which ^^ is referencing.

I have to agree it was a pretty lazy and by the numbers plot. Kevin Atwater is one of the main characters on Chicago PD. There was no way that he was going to be convicted of manslaughter. Of course Antonio was going to find out the truth in the nick of time to save him.

I'm not a fan of plots that attempt to put doubt into a "good" character. It feels very manufactured.

I did like seeing Robinette from Law and Order again and Stone giving a call to his Dad also from the mother ship.

I'm invested in the entire Chicago franchise, so I'll continue to watch and I like Winchester and Jon Seda. But, this episode was a dud.

Also, just realized that Valdez, the young Latina Lawyer assisting Stone, was "Hot Rachel" from UnReal's 2nd season.
I'm glad that you are sticking with this current franchise DJariya as Wolf has a new venture. I'm sticking with Fire and Justice only.

I heard/read Wolf originally wanted the L&O franchise to be based in Chicago but was 'swayed' to place it in NYC.

He eventually got his wish, which is ironic as Chicago is the hot topic moreso these days..
Old 03-07-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I have to admit that Carl Weathers looks really good for a man pushing 70. He could easily pass for someone in his mid-late 50's. I guess all those years of working on Rocky in this younger days kept him in peak physical shape.
Old 03-07-17, 02:25 PM

I have to admit that Carl Weathers looks really good for a man pushing 70. He could easily pass for someone in his mid-late 50's. I guess all those years of working on Rocky in this younger days kept him in peak physical shape.
Yeah, it's nice to see Weathers on screen again. He is doing a good job.
Old 03-09-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stopgap
I'm sticking with Fire and Justice only.
And in doing so, missing the best of the bunch in Chicago PD. There's also Chicago Med in the universe, but I only watch Chicago PD regularly (though I've seen all the Chicago Justice episodes that have aired so far).
Old 05-23-17, 12:48 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Cancelled: http://tvline.com/2017/05/22/chicago...-season-2-nbc/
Old 05-23-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Let Winchester join Blindspot!
Old 05-23-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Bummer, i liked this show
Old 05-23-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As i posted over in the Cancellation thread, this show never really gelled for me. I really like Weathers, Winchester and Seda, but the show just didn't click for me. Hopefully Seda will go back to PD, which I think is one of the best two of the Chicago shows, and Weathers and Winchester will get on other shows as well before too long. Hell, they could roll them all into PD for at least some guest spots moving forward.