Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Patriot (Amazon Prime) -- S: Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith -- 2/24/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Patriot (Amazon Prime) -- S: Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith -- 2/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Amazon today announced its new original one hour series Patriot is slated to premiere on Friday, February 24 exclusively on Prime Video in the US, UK, Germany and Austria.

Starring Michael Dorman (Wonderland), Emmy winner Terry O'Quinn (Lost), Kurtwood Smith (That 70's Show) and Michael Chernus (Orange is the New Black), Patriot follows the complicated life of intelligence officer John Tavner (Dorman). His latest assignment is to prevent Iran from going nuclear, requiring him to forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous "non-official cover" - that of a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial piping firm. A bout with PTSD, the Federal government's incompetence and the intricacies of keeping a day job in the "front" industrial piping company cause a barrage of ever-escalating fiascos that jeopardize Tavner's mission. The series, recently selected to have its world premiere at the Berlin Film Festival Berlinale, is executive produced by Steven Conrad (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), who also writes and directs on the series, James Parriott (Grey's Anatomy), Glenn Ficarra (This Is Us), John Requa (Crazy Stupid Love, Focus), Charles Gogolak (Focus), and Gil Bellows (Temple Grandin).

Customers can watch the pilot episode online at Amazon.com/PatriotTV before the full season's remaining nine episodes air on February 24. Patriot explores the lesser known, unglamorous aspects of life as an intelligence officer. While the future of the world is at stake, it's often the idiosyncrasies of those around John Tavner that force him to have to choose between bad alternatives. Those characters include Tom Tavner (O'Quinn), John's State Department Director of Intelligence father; John's older brother Edward Tavner (Chernus), a young Texas congressman; John's wife Alice, played by Kathleen Munroe (Call Me Fitz); Agathe, played by Aliette Opheim (Sandor slash Ida), a brilliant young homicide detective from Luxembourg hot on John's trail; and Mr. Claret (Smith), John's stickler of a new "boss" at the piping firm where John is "employed."

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
ˇ Aliette Opheim as Agathe
ˇ Kathleen Munroe as Alice
ˇ Kurtwood Smith as Mr. Claret
ˇ Michael Chernus as Edward Tavner
ˇ Michael Dorman as John Tavner
ˇ Terry O'Quinn as Tom Tavner

10 episode 1st season

Premiered Friday on Amazon Prime.

I'm guessing this show was not on anyone's radar here. I really didn't know anything about it until I saw it on Amazon's premieres yesterday. The Pilot was originally posted back in November of 2015.

Trailer:

Well, if anyone is interested and isn't massively backed up on shows, it's out now. It looks very quirky judging by that trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ame...atriot+tv+show
Old 03-08-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Patriot (Amazon Prime) -- S: Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith -- 2/2

I am on Episode 5, I am loving this so far. Great mix of comedy, drama and just a dash of action.
Old 03-29-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Patriot (Amazon Prime) -- S: Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith -- 2/2

I absolutely loved this. It's Coen Brothers meets John le Carré.

I saw that the creator wrote The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage -one of the most underrated films of the 2000s. I see a lot of the tone of that film in this show.

It does end on a cliffhanger and judging by the word of mouth for this (I've heard none!) - I'm really wondering if we are going to get a second season...
Old 04-18-17, 11:39 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Renewed: http://deadline.com/2017/04/patriot-...on-1202071391/
Old 04-18-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

My wife and I just caught Episode 1 last night when browsing for something new. Loved it so far.
Old 04-19-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Great! This is very good news.
Old 10-31-18, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The second season premieres on November 9th. This'll give those that haven't seen season one a chance to binge before season 2 comes out.
Old 11-09-18, 06:35 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="668" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08w9DxR7DHs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Prime Original series follows John in season two as he works to salvage a deteriorating covert mission to rescue his brother, while their father orders a failsafe: to assassinate the Iranian presidential candidate. Meanwhile, John's team of allies has grown, but so has his adversaries, and his efforts to navigate these forces come at a heavy cost. Patriot will be available in UHD and HDR on compatible HDR devices.

Season 2 returns on November 9, 2018.
Old 01-01-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

This is an amazing show! I wish more people knew about it. If you haven't seen it, start now.

I only just heard about it when the creator/writer/director appeared on the Harmontown podcast with Dan Harmon recently, and based on Dan's description I decided to give it a try. I've got two more episodes in Season 2 to watch and, damn, I hope this gets another season. On the podcast, it sounded like Conrad has definite ideas/plans on what to do if there is a season 3.

The S2 episode where John and his pals get drunk was so goddamn funny I was crying.