Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Old 02-19-17, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,548 Likes on 2,542 Posts

free upload pictures

Episode #1: “Somebody’s Dead”
Debut: SUNDAY, FEB. 19 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

In the affluent beachfront community of Monterey, Cal., a suspicious death at a coastal elementary school fundraiser draws attention to the frictions among some of the mothers. Madeline (Reese Witherspoon) and Celeste (Nicole Kidman), longtime friends and confidantes, welcome newcomer Jane (Shailene Woodley) and her son, Ziggy (Iain Armitage), into their inner circle, much to the chagrin of another mother, Renata (Laura Dern). An incident with the children at school causes battle lines to be drawn.

Written by David E. Kelley; directed by Jean-Marc Vallée.
PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adam Scott as Ed Mackenzie
· Alexander Skarsgård as Perry Wright
· Cameron & Nicholas Crovetti as Max & Josh Wright
· Chloe Coleman as Skye Carlson
· Darby Camp as Chloe Mackenzie
· Iain Armitage as Ziggy Chapman
· Ivy George as Amabella Klein
· James Tupper as Nathan Carlson
· Jeffrey Nordling as Gordon Klein
· Kathryn Newton as Abigail Mackenzie
· Laura Dern as Renata Klein
· Nicole Kidman as Celeste Wright
· P.J. Byrne as Warren Nippal
· Reese Witherspoon as Madeline Martha Mackenzie
· Santiago Cabrera as Joseph Bachman
· Shailene Woodley as Jane
· Virginia Kull as Emily Barnes
· Zoë Kravitz as Bonnie Carlson

7 episode limited series.

David E. Kelley is the EP and Showrunner.

Trailer:

Old 02-19-17, 12:05 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Really looking forward to this.
Old 02-19-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Thought this was pretty good. Looking forward to next week's episode.
Old 02-19-17, 11:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I liked it as well.

Madeline's oldest daughter could get annoying quickly.
Old 02-20-17, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Can't wait to watch this. Only 7 episodes and that's it for the series? That kinda blows, especially if it's really good.
Old 02-20-17, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Can't wait to watch this. Only 7 episodes and that's it for the series? That kinda blows, especially if it's really good.
I was actually going to watch this but I am not of fan of these single series shows, unless it can blow you away. Sometimes it takes a few episodes to get invested in the characters, and then before you know it the show is finished.
Old 02-20-17, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I was actually going to watch this but I am not of fan of these single series shows, unless it can blow you away. Sometimes it takes a few episodes to get invested in the characters, and then before you know it the show is finished.
I watched it. I'm in. It is as good as it looks on the previews. And I imagine Reese Witherspoon isn't doing a whole lot of acting here, if the perception of her is true. And I've liked her for 20 years.
Old 02-20-17, 08:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This was pretty good, I think I can watch this whole thing..

So we don't know who was killed yet right?
Old 02-20-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was pretty good too. Good cast. I enjoyed Reese Witherspoon's character. Kind of an overbearing Mom. I when her daughter dropped an F bomb and said..."Woman"

Yeah we don't really know who the victim is yet. Initially I thought it was Laura Dern's character because of the incident with her daughter and Jane's son. But, I think that would be way too obvious.
Old 02-20-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The cast are all film actresses. They probably only agreed to do this show since it's 1 season and done and because it's HBO. Also the material is based on 1 book. IMDB says this took 5 months to film. That's a lot of time for a film actresses to put off other and probably more higher paying projects for TV. I doubt Witherspoon or Kidman would have agreed to do this if it were on AMC or FX.
Old 02-20-17, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The cast are all film actresses. They probably only agreed to do this show since it's 1 season and done and because it's HBO. Also the material is based on 1 book. IMDB says this took 5 months to film. That's a lot of time for a film actresses to put off other and probably more higher paying projects for TV. I doubt Witherspoon or Kidman would have agreed to do this if it were on AMC or FX.
Both women are executive producers. Also, from reviews I've read, we don't even find out who was killed for a good chunk of the season/series.
Old 02-20-17, 02:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Witherspoon's production company produced it.
Old 02-20-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that they never reveal who was killed in the book. We'll see...
Old 02-20-17, 06:59 PM

I thought this was great.
Old 02-22-17, 03:34 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I heard that they never reveal who was killed in the book. We'll see...
Nah, I recently read it, it's definitely revealed.

This first episode was extremely faithful to the book.
Old 02-22-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I guess I'll be the one going against the grain... I had a tough time getting through it.
Not sure if it was the direction or what - but I had troubles staying interested.

I powered through anyway and while it's not horrible, it didn't do a lot for me.

Hopefully the next episode keeps me more interested.
Old 02-28-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No bump for the second episode? I find pretty much everyone unlikable, but I'll keep watching since there are only 5 shows left. My wild guess is that Reese kills Woodley because Woodley knew that her son was a psycho, which is why she moved there, to get a new start after he was outcast from wherever they came from. Since Reese took her under her wing, she was pissed that she vouched for her and lost her standing in the community. I'll probably read the book before the series ends...
Old 02-28-17, 08:19 AM

I'm really enjoying this so far.
Old 02-28-17, 09:46 AM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
No bump for the second episode? I find pretty much everyone unlikable, but I'll keep watching since there are only 5 shows left. My wild guess is that Reese kills Woodley because Woodley knew that her son was a psycho, which is why she moved there, to get a new start after he was outcast from wherever they came from. Since Reese took her under her wing, she was pissed that she vouched for her and lost her standing in the community. I'll probably read the book before the series ends...
Just read wikipedia on the book...you are SO far off! LOL
Old 02-28-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I will watch the second episode but the pilot was kind of boring.
Old 03-01-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
Just read wikipedia on the book...you are SO far off! LOL
Ha, I figured as much! My wife thinks that Reese Witherspoon is the one that was killed. I still might try to read the book next to get the full impact and race the show to the ending.
Old 03-02-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I couldn't make it through the 2nd episode. I'm out.

Maybe I'll just read the book instead.
Old 03-02-17, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zoe Kravitz's character is a complete ripoff of Lisa Bonet's from High Fidelity and it almost distracting for the show when she's in a scene.

And yes all the characters are completely unlikeable and that includes the kids
Old 03-02-17, 02:42 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MFRONE
And yes all the characters are completely unlikeable and that includes the kids
This is what I'm worried about. I don't know what the shows aspirations are (and am not familiar with the source material), but if I don't end up caring what happens to anybody or what happens next in their lives, it didn't succeed in my mind. Thus far, there hasn't been a character that's been particularly interesting.
Old 03-02-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

The Michael Scott character is ok and somebody you can relate to.

Maybe it would be too obvious if the Reese or Skargard characters did it.

Now I know how Nicole Kidman sounds like if he is having sex.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.