DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Nielsen Family (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/639091-nielsen-family.html)

DaveCole 02-16-17 08:41 PM

Nielsen Family

I received a diary to record my shows this week. Not sure why, as I was pretty straightforward when I said I don't have cable or watch local programming. I live on Netflix, Hulu, CW app, and Amazon. Should I bother recording the shows I watch on streaming?

DJariya 02-16-17 09:01 PM

Re: Nielsen Family

Since you don't watch "Live TV" don't even waste your time. The whole point of Nielsen is to keep track of live viewers for advertisers. That means sitting and watching a 30 minute or 1 hour show with commercials.

MLBFan24 02-16-17 09:08 PM

Or wait long enough until they start giving you free stuff, in an attempt to bribe you. And by free stuff, I mean fruit baskets.

DVD Josh 02-16-17 09:17 PM

How are you even a Neilsen family?

brainee 02-16-17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13014023)
Or wait long enough until they start giving you free stuff, in an attempt to bribe you. And by free stuff, I mean fruit baskets.

I only got 2 $1 bills. Should've held out :(

Ginwen 02-16-17 10:54 PM

I cheat when I do those things, put down the shows I like even if I don't get around to watching them.

DaveCole 02-17-17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13014060)
I only got 2 $1 bills. Should've held out :(

They sent $2 with the original questionairre. $5 with the diary.

DaveCole 02-17-17 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13014028)
How are you even a Neilsen family?

No idea. I stated in the original questionairre that I only watch streaming content, and listed the services I use. Maybe they were in need of a 45 year old that watches CW and didn't pay attention to the fact that it is all thru the CW app.

davidh777 02-17-17 01:35 AM

Can you write down my shows in your diary?

Eric F 02-17-17 01:53 AM

I have a dysfunctional Neilson Family- I only watch cat shows.:lol:

DaveCole 02-17-17 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13014117)
Can you write down my shows in your diary?

Sure. Send me a list. Going thru and figuring regular times for the shows I watch, and I have two diaries, one for each tv.
Current list:
Riverdale
Supergirl
Arrow
Flash
Legends of Tomorrow
Agents of Shield
Lucifer
Grimm
Goldbergs
Always Sunny

Josh-da-man 02-17-17 07:01 AM

I did that last year. The bastards only sent me one dollar, though.

And those fucking diaries were a pain in the ass to fill out.

Still couldn't save Agent Carter, though.

tommyp007 02-17-17 07:33 AM

We got selected for this a few years ago, but it was in the Summer, when we watch almost no tv :lol:

My diary pretty much said local news, 6:30pm news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and Charlie Rose.

RichC2 02-17-17 08:21 AM

Welp if anyone gets one of these and feels like giving some love to Man Seeking Woman it'd be much appreciated. Pretty sure that one is done after this year but man am I loving this season.

MLBFan24 02-17-17 09:57 AM

And save Timeless please

I would normally say 24 too, but I'll be the first to admit "Legacy" is just mediocre at this point.

Eric F 02-17-17 10:24 AM

For the brief time I had DirecTV Now, I noticed in the TOS that they automatically sent your viewing habits to Neilson. So if they do it, I'm sure Sling, PS Vue and the others do it too.

PhantomStranger 02-17-17 02:20 PM

Verizon has complete monitoring of cable ratings in their markets since their television system is based off IP technology. So Verizon knows exactly what their customers are watching.

So there are independent ways to verify ratings outside of Nielsen. Nielsen constructs exacting demographic profiles of the country's viewing population to get their ratings. If Nielsen contacts you, they need you to fill out some needed demographic.