DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Castlevania (Netflix) -- based on the video game -- animated series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/639012-castlevania-netflix-based-video-game-animated-series.html)

robin2099 02-08-17 04:42 PM

Castlevania (Netflix) -- based on the video game -- animated series

Lots of places have picked this up, but since it hasn't shown up in Deadline or anything like that I'm still cautiously optimistic. No idea if it's live action or animated.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-has-a...017-1792131221

There aren’t any dang details about it but, at some point this year, we’ll get the chance to watch somebody from Castlevania’s Belmont family fighting bloodsuckers.

Netflix has been holding an event today where it’s announcing the bulk of its upcoming programming slate. Nestled in the press release was this:
Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017
This is literally all we know for sure at the moment, but the project is likely the same one that’s been reported as being in development from Frederator Networks (Adventure Time) and producer Adi Shankar, who was behind that gritty Power Rangers short back in 2015. On an episode of the Nick Animation podcast late last year, Seibert said that Frederator was ramping up on an unnamed video game project. His words, as per Slashfilm transcription:

Error loading media: File could not be played

We have a project right now that we’re doing that needs to go unnamed, based on one of the most world-famous video games of the last 30 years, that we’ve had in our shop for 12 years without being able to get it started. But there were great characters and a great story, and eventually we got it going.
Prior to that, Shankar had said he’d be doing work on a Castlevania series with Seibert.

So, signs seem to point that the Netflix show is this Seibert/Shankar collaboration. An article up on The Globe and Mail reports that Warren Ellis has done the writing for the show’s first season. We’ll have to wait for more official details to be 100% sure and will update if they come through.

E Unit 02-08-17 10:31 PM

re: Castlevania (Netflix) -- based on the video game -- animated series

Shit, it's just an animated series. No thanks.

milo bloom 02-09-17 11:03 PM

Animated is the best way to do something like this. No need for dodgy CGI for creatures and such. Need a new location? Draw it.

The biggest problem video game adaptations always have is forcing them to be live action when their roots are much closer to animation.

Koby 02-09-17 11:45 PM

It's animated, and it's legit happening. Netflix's website lists the series as a four-part season, with each episode running for approximately 30 minutes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-year/.112019
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/...nimated-series

Shankar is executive producing alongside Ellis, Kevin Kolde, and Fred Seibert. while Seibert's Frderator Studios is behind the animation.

I'd link to Shankars official FB page where he also announced/confirmed it, but apparently DVDtalk censors facebook links, and various link shorteners like Googles, making it impossible to link to it.

james2025a 02-10-17 04:27 AM

Count me in. I love the anime Vampire Hunter D, and have wishes there were more quality anime like it on the market. This could be fantastic, as long as they don't go cheap on the animation.

E Unit 05-25-17 11:27 AM

Meh.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iIMrFnl5NiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I'll still watch it.

Baron Of Hell 05-25-17 11:54 AM

I hope Captain N makes a cameo.

Ringmaster 05-25-17 11:32 PM

I was really hoping for some updated Super Castlevania/Rondo of Blood/SOTN music in that trailer.

Breakfast with Girls 05-27-17 01:04 PM

Looks like it's based on Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (a prequel to the original Castlevania).

Troy Stiffler 05-27-17 04:37 PM

Sometimes this kind of anime works (love Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust). I have zero connection to the Castlevania name. Only thing I ever played was the NES one. But I'll watch and see how it turns out.

I wonder if this could be the start of the Nintendo-verse? If it's good, maybe. Nintendo has a rich history of bad canon.

Kdogg 05-27-17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13082920)
Sometimes this kind of anime works (love Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust). I have zero connection to the Castlevania name. Only thing I ever played was the NES one. But I'll watch and see how it turns out.

I wonder if this could be the start of the Nintendo-verse? If it's good, maybe. Nintendo has a rich history of bad canon.

It's not a Nintendo property. Konami is the owner and they have released these games on many platforms. It looks interesting enough and I'm a sucker for supernatural shows so I will check it out.

RichC2 07-07-17 01:37 PM

4 episode first season is now up, renewed for an 8 episode second season.

Why So Blu? 07-07-17 07:21 PM

Re: Castlevania (Netflix) -- based on the video game -- animated series

I added this to my queue. Did not realize it was just 4 episodes.

Eric F 07-08-17 12:06 AM

I thought this was pretty good. I don't know much about the game, but as a western oriented anime it works well. Sort of reminds me of the Dead Space animated movies and Dante's Inferno movie.

Why So Blu? 07-08-17 12:10 PM

Knocked out the first 2 episodes. I'm savoring the show -- wish it were longer. The violence is extreme and Richard Armitage sounds like he was having a ball. I did not check to see who did the animation but it does remind me of MADHOUSE.

james2025a 07-08-17 02:53 PM

I watched thr first episode today and really enjoyed it.. Got the other 3 lined up for tonight.. Already looking forward to season 2.

Why So Blu? 07-09-17 09:05 AM

Wrapped up the series and I eagerly await season 2. I think the series was originally intended as a film, which would have run just under 90-minutes before they split it up into 4 episodes. I do hope we get the second season this year.

starseed1981 07-10-17 01:55 PM

Really enjoyed this. But it's definitely for fans of the game(s) and is way to short at 4 episodes.

milo bloom 07-10-17 02:46 PM

A little ways into this and certainly darker than I expected.

That poor goat...

fumanstan 07-14-17 10:54 PM

I really enjoyed this. Trevor Belmont's character is really fun to watch, and I liked the hard R rating to it and all the violence given the subject matter. Glad to see more, hope they fast track it quickly.

And now I really want to go play Symphony of the Night...

milo bloom 07-16-17 09:41 PM

It was so much darker than I ever expected. I know it's vampires and demons and stuff, but they really didn't hold back.

Looking forward to season 2.

zero 08-24-17 04:12 PM

This was definitely the highlight of my streaming year, saw this on YT felt like sharing it...

Overjoyed that this was handled with respect and love for the source, cant wait for more.

Dr. DVD 08-24-17 07:30 PM

Finished this a while back. Really liked it overall. I will say that I didn't think much of the first episode, but once Trevor Belmont became the focal point it got a lot better. I have only played the first game of the series, so I have no idea about the whole mythology and such. I hope we get a season 2, as this seemed more like a movie made to kick-off a show than anything else.

RichC2 08-24-17 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13142673)
Finished this a while back. Really liked it overall. I will say that I didn't think much of the first episode, but once Trevor Belmont became the focal point it got a lot better. I have only played the first game of the series, so I have no idea about the whole mythology and such. I hope we get a season 2, as this seemed more like a movie made to kick-off a show than anything else.

It was already renewed for an 8 episode 2nd season.

RichC2 10-26-18 08:32 AM

Season 2 is up now.