TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E11) -- "The Martian Chronicles" -- 2/6/17

Old 02-06-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 361 Likes on 271 Posts
Supergirl (S2E11) -- "The Martian Chronicles" -- 2/6/17

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6

SUPERGIRL

"The Martian Chronicles" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

WHITE MARTIANS ATTACK THE DEO - Armek (guest star Terrell Tilford), a White Martian, descends on National City intent on taking M'gann (guest star Sharon Leal) back to Mars to face her punishment as a traitor. Hank (David Harewood) and Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) determine the best way to keep M'gann safe is to bring her to the DEO. However, when it is revealed that Armek shape-shifted into M'gann and is now loose in the building, the team realize he could be disguised as any one of them. David McWhirter directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas & Anna Musky-Goldwyn (#211). Original airdate 2/6/2017.

Episode 11 of 22
Old 02-06-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E11) -- "The Martian Chronicles" -- 2/6/17

VERY good episode The first in a long while. Reinforces my assertion that James Olsen is pretty much dead weight, as he was not missed by me one iota. Nice riffs on The Thing and Alien as well. Loved the two Martians fighting side-by-side against Mighty Whitey.
Old 02-07-17, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Why didn't they fight the White Martians during the recent crossover rather than the Dominators? Made more sense...
Old 02-07-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely didn't miss not having Jimmy or any of the lame Guardian stuff. Even though it has been done many times before, they fire test was fun. Great end to it by the actor that plays Winn.

So now M'gann becomes somebody they can throw in as a guest spot. Oh goody. Should have kept her or killed her.
Old 02-07-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lose Olson, keep Miss Martin.
Old 02-07-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After watching Supernatural this week, it is hard to believe that Sharon Leal still could pass for early 30's yet Alicia Witt who is 2 years younger easily looks like she is close to 50 at this point. Still a good looking woman, but age has not been kind to her.
Old 02-07-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
After watching Supernatural this week, it is hard to believe that Sharon Leal still could pass for early 30's yet Alicia Witt who is 2 years younger easily looks like she is close to 50 at this point. Still a good looking woman, but age has not been kind to her.
When Sharon Leal was on Grimm (and now Supergirl) I immediately thought wow!, she doesn't look that much different than she did on Boston Public and that was a decade ago.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-07-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-07-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought this was probably one of the better episodes since the Superman episodes early on.
Old 02-07-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen this episode yet but I had the same thought about Alicia Witt. I couldn't believe how old she looked when I watched that episode of Supernatural.
Old 02-07-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
I haven't seen this episode yet but I had the same thought about Alicia Witt. I couldn't believe how old she looked when I watched that episode of Supernatural.
I had not idea Sharon Leal was that old either. Jon hitting on her was borderline creep out man territory until now. As for Witt she looked years younger in last seasons Librarians.
Old 02-08-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 128 Likes on 81 Posts

Melanin...
Old 02-08-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Melanin...
Melanin don't ... crap, what rhymes with melanin? "Spell an end?" Ahh forget it. I sure as fuck don't look 46. Cape Verde genetics FTW!
Old 02-08-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Lose Olson, keep Miss Martin.
Talking seriously about the inner dynamics of this show, keep Mon-El and Miss Martian around while permanently dropping Jimmy Olsen. It's the best way to keep this show entertaining. Let him go back to Metropolis.

James was only brought on as a male romantic lead for Kara and the pair really don't share any chemistry. He's not nerdy enough to fit in with the rest of the cast since he's been positioned differently from the beginning.

This was one of the better episodes of Supergirl we've had overall. Kara's rejection of Mon-El's interest in her was shockingly harsh.
Old 02-08-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This was one of the better episodes of Supergirl we've had overall. Kara's rejection of Mon-El's interest in her was shockingly harsh.
That scene really felt real, although I loled at the thought of a super hero deciding focusing on a career in journalism was how they should use their free time while Trump and Lebron are openly shitting on reporters. But I think a lot of guys could relate to a woman saying I'm focusing on this ludicrous pursuit I consider noble while you're just a bro.
Old 02-08-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Talking seriously about the inner dynamics of this show, keep Mon-El and Miss Martian around while permanently dropping Jimmy Olsen. It's the best way to keep this show entertaining. Let him go back to Metropolis.

James was only brought on as a male romantic lead for Kara and the pair really don't share any chemistry. He's not nerdy enough to fit in with the rest of the cast since he's been positioned differently from the beginning.

Definitely one of the better episodes as this season has been a slog for the most part.

And totally agree with Jimmy. Totally out of place and can't stand him as a Batman wannabe. Dump him.
Old 02-08-17, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to echo that I also though this episode proved the show is better without James. Setting aside how against his character background being a gritty street-level vigilante is. If he really wants to help people in need then there are many, many cities that do not have a Super in them and also have crime. Also I still can't stand that he's CEO of CatCo. If I were on their board I'd already have the no-confidence vote going against the photographer with no experience running a media empire.
Old 02-08-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this was the best episode since the first two episodes. Nice nods to The Thing and Alien. Also had some good action scenes. James not being in this episode helped it a lot also. Personally I would just ditch him and keep Mon El since I actually want to see him and Kara together and their relationship works. Going to miss Ms. Martian. She was actually an interesting character. Hopefully Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo when they show up help the show out.

And of course the main weakness of the episode was the subplot with Alex and Maggie. So Alex, who for the entire series has been super close to her sister ditches her on her birthday in order to go to a concert with her lesbian lover. Then feels bad about it even though she shouldn't have in the first place. Seriously who is writing this crap. Every episode so far since this dumb plot started Alex seems to have all the relationship maturity of a teenager.
Old 02-12-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very, very good episode.

Going to agree with the masses, lose Olsen, keep Martin, dump the lesbian girlfriend.

Refresh my memory, why is Cat Grant gone?
Old 02-12-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
She left to "find herself"

She told Kara that she believed she accomplished all she could at Catco and wanted a change.
Old 02-12-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Very, very good episode.

Going to agree with the masses, lose Olsen, keep Martin, dump the lesbian girlfriend.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
She left to "find herself"

She told Kara that she believed she accomplished all she could at Catco and wanted a change.
Translation: Flockhart didn't want to go to Vancouver full time and the CW probably could not afford her anyway.