Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

APB (FOX) -- From the creator of Burn Notice -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 2/6/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

APB (FOX) -- From the creator of Burn Notice -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 2/6/17

Old 02-06-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

photo uploading websites

A BILLIONAIRE TAKES OVER THE CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT'S 13TH DISTRICT ON THE ALL-NEW SERIES PREMIERE OF "APB" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, ON FOX

After tech billionaire GIDEON REEVES (Emmy Award and Golden Globe nominee Justin Kirk, "Tyrant," "Weeds") witnesses his best friend's murder, he takes charge of Chicago's troubled 13th District and reboots it as a technically innovative police force, challenging the district to rethink everything about the way they fight crime. Gideon knows if he's going to change anything, he'll need help, which he finds from DETECTIVE THERESA MURPHY (Natalie Martinez, "Kingdom," "Under the Dome"), an ambitious, street-smart cop who is willing to give Gideon's technological ideas a chance. After Gideon launches the APB app, allowing citizens to immediately alert the police of a crime, downloads of the app spike, and Gideon realizes his work is just beginning in the all-new "Hard Reset" series premiere episode of APB airing Monday, Feb. 6 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (APB-101) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Justin Kirk as Gideon Reeves, Natalie Martinez as Detective Theresa Murphy, Taylor Handley as Officer Nicholas Brandt, Ernie Hudson as Captain Ned Conrad, Caitlin Stasey as Ada Hamilton, Tamberla Perry as Officer Tasha Goss and Nestor Serrano as Mayor Michael Salgado.

Guest Cast: Daniel MacPherson as Scott Murphy, William Smillie as Officer Cobb, Kevin Chapman as Captain Raymond Hauser, Bryant Romo as Officer Jimmy Reyes and Nickola Shreli and Cal Hatcher.

12 episode 1st season

This will air on Mondays at 9pm through April 24th.

Matt Nix, the creator of Burn Notice, is the head writer and showrunner of this series.

Len Wiseman directed the Pilot.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Caitlin Stasey as Ada Hamilton
· Eric Winter as Scott Murphy
· Ernie Hudson as Ned Conrad
· Justin Kirk as Gideon Reeves
· Natalie Martinez as Theresa Murphy
· Tamberla Perry as Tasha Goss
· Taylor Handley as Nicholas Brandt

Trailer:

Old 02-06-17, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: APB (FOX) -- From the creator of Burn Notice -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 2/6/

So we have a medical show and a police show where out of this world technology disrupts everything. Now all we need is a lawyer show and a fireman show with the same premise.
Old 02-06-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: APB (FOX) -- From the creator of Burn Notice -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 2/6/

Originally Posted by fujishig
So we have a medical show and a police show where out of this world technology disrupts everything. Now all we need is a lawyer show and a fireman show with the same premise.
Not enough shows set in Chicago...
Old 02-06-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

I will watch because it looks interesting and Matt Nix, but I have a feeling this won't last long.
Old 02-06-17, 05:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

sci-fi... Fox... won't last more than a season, but it looks interesting so I'm in.
Old 02-06-17, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I will watch because it looks interesting and Matt Nix, but I have a feeling this won't last long.
Same here, I'm watching it for Nix, but I'm guessing it'll go away within one season. Still, I'm hoping it'll be fun.
Old 02-06-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Oddly felt like watching tonight even though I have a large DVR backlog.

It wasn't terrible, but wasn't amazing either. I'd give it a solid B.

The premise is good, but the execution felt very clunky. The main guy is okay, but his eccentric brilliance fell a bit flat.

They needed to allow pieces to breath more than they did. Too much time up front, and not enough getting to know some of the characters. They spent just enough time with so many I'm not sure who's important and who isn't. Was it really important to spend a few minutes showing us the main female has a kid and (divorced?) husband?

Plus, the ending was tied up too neatly, aside from the board turns red reveal.

I'll probably let this pile up and see if it gets renewed, then watch in May when seasons wrap up.
Old 02-06-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Bull on CBS is about a jury consultant who uses technology and human phycology to win cases i.e. tracking/hacking of
personal information and social media, stalking jurors, etc. It is ridiculous. Of course it is the number 1 new drama show on tv.
Old 02-07-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

So I just saw the 1st episode. Kind of a goofy sci-fi Police procedural. I did see some of Nix's influence. He made it quirkier than most cop shows.

Basically it's Chicago PD + Iron Man + Robocop having a 3-way and this would be the offspring.

Justin Kirk's Gideon is basically a low rent version of Tony Stark. I'm not crazy about him as the lead.

seeing Kevin Chapman (Fusco) again. Plus, I love Natalie Martinez. And how many lines did Ernie Hudson have?

I don't know what to think of it. Strange cop show. Definitely science fiction with all this tech that doesn't exist.

One of my former colleagues hated it and trashed it on Facebook and the shows page.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-07-17 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The ratings for APB were pretty good, holding almost all of 24's ratings. It will almost certainly get picked up for another season if it holds onto those ratings.
Old 02-08-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really not sure how I felt about this. It felt like Robocop meets Iron Man but not as interesting. The pilot also felt kind of convoluted.
Old 02-08-17, 01:04 PM

My wife was all, "this guy is basically Tony Stark without a suit, right?"
Old 02-09-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show is nowhere near as good as Chicago PD. When you look up shows on IMDB they often have multiple genres with the most prevalent genre first. This one would be knocking on the door to having Comedy first, and it's in large part due to having Justin Kirk as a lead. I think he's terribly miscast. We watched Pure Genius here (the "high tech medical show") and liked it well enough, but it's not a killer show by any means. Still, it's better than this so far. I have no idea if I'll keep watching it, but if I had to bet, I'd bet I'll drop it just like I did Bull, Scorpion, and Intelligence. It's nice to have a nice premise, but it's even more nice to actually be good.
Old 02-09-17, 09:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Bull on CBS is about a jury consultant who uses technology and human phycology to win cases i.e. tracking/hacking of
personal information and social media, stalking jurors, etc. It is ridiculous. Of course it is the number 1 new drama show on tv.
I think it's a very bothersome trend. Bull enthusiastically trashes people's privacy and personal freedoms. Now, APB is doing essentially the same thing with drones.
Old 02-09-17, 09:51 AM

Problem as I see it the billionaire guy wouldn't be so hands on. He'd have his minions doing the joy stick work, tech work, etc. Then once they find the guy who killed his CFO he'd move onto other interests. Leaving his people to train the cops in the tech before they left. Otherwise, yeah it's a Robocop/Iron Man rip off that's not going to last.
The show needs to concentrate on more Chicago PD crimes but using the new tech to solve them. More NCIS-LA over NCIS.
Old 02-09-17, 09:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the show, the lead is weak however. The guy from Burn Notice wouldn't been better.
Old 03-22-17, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Anyone still watching this? As far as "check your brain at the door" type shows, I'm enjoying this one a good bit.
Old 03-22-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive weened myself off it. I watched the first 3 but then lost interest.
Old 03-22-17, 11:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

my DVR failed to record an episode and just gave up on it.
Old 03-22-17, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all the episodes recorded, just have not gotten inspired enough to start watching it.
Old 03-22-17, 04:28 PM

We stopped watching 24, but my wife LOVES APB. I think it's a couple of steps below Scorpion, but I watch it with her.
Old 03-22-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I'd probably still be watching APB if I liked the leads better. There are just too many decent shows on TV and that has become my justification to drop a show recently.

Natalie Martinez doesn't feel like an actress that should be a network lead.