Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Superior Donuts (CBS) S: Judd Hirsch, Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Jermaine Fowler

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superior Donuts (CBS) S: Judd Hirsch, Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Jermaine Fowler

Old 02-02-17, 08:40 AM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

EMMY AWARD WINNER JUDD HIRSCH AND COMEDIAN JERMAINE FOWLER STAR IN A NEW COMEDY ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE GRUFF OWNER OF A SMALL DONUT SHOP AND HIS ENTERPRISING NEW EMPLOYEE IN A QUICKLY GENTRIFYING CHICAGO NEIGHBORHOOD, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "SUPERIOR DONUTS," THURSDAY, FEB. 2

Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Maz Jobrani, Anna Baryshnikov, Darien Sills-Evans and Rell Battle Also Star

"Pilot" - Emmy Award winner Judd Hirsch and comedian Jermaine Fowler star in a new comedy about the relationship between Arthur, the gruff owner of a small donut shop, his enterprising new young employee, Franco, and their loyal patrons in a quickly gentrifying Chicago neighborhood, on the series premiere of SUPERIOR DONUTS, Thursday, Feb. 2, (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. The comedy then moves to its regular time period on Monday, Feb. 6 (9:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT). Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Maz Jobrani, Anna Baryshnikov, Darien Sills-Evans and Rell Battle also star.

Arthur is a to-the-point Chicagoan who refuses to sell newfangled cronuts and macchiatos or renovate his dated shop that hasn't changed since it opened in 1969. That all changes when enterprising go-getter Franco fast-talks his way into Arthur's life as his new (and only)
employee, and convinces him that he can bring the shop - and Arthur - into the 21st century. Arthur's supportive regulars include loyal patron Randy, a cop whose late father was Arthur's best friend; her overeager rookie partner, James; Tush, a colorful customer who uses the shop counter as a makeshift office where he keeps tabs on a variety of odd jobs via fax machine; Maya, a privileged grad-school student working on her Ph. D; and Sweatpants, Franco's longtime friend who's willing to dress as a donut to help drum up more business. Looking to cash in on the urban renewal is Arthur's over-caffeinated neighbor, aspiring real estate capitalist Fawz, who pushes Arthur on a daily basis to sell the building to him. With his business in jeopardy, Arthur grudgingly realizes that he had better embrace the change around him and that Franco could be exactly what he - and the donut shop - need to thrive. Based on the play by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning writer Tracy Letts.

REGULAR CAST:

Judd Hirsch (Arthur Przybyszewski)
Jermaine Fowler (Franco Wicks)
Katey Sagal (Randy DeLuca)
David Koechner (Carl "Tush" Tushinski)
Maz Jobrani (Fawz)
Anna Baryshnikov (Maya)
Darien Sills-Evans (James Jordan)
Rell Battle (Sweatpants)

GUEST CAST: TBD

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producers Bob Daily and Neil Goldman & Garrett Donovan

DIRECTED BY: James Burrows

Last edited by dex14; 10-30-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Superior Donuts (CBS) S: Judd Hirsch, Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Jermaine Fowle

I remember when this play opened up in Chicago years ago before moving to Broadway. Got positive reviews when it debuted--hope TV can do it justice.
Old 02-02-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Superior Donuts (CBS) S: Judd Hirsch, Katey Sagal, David Koechner, Jermaine Fowle

A show about old people on CBS? I'm out.
Old 02-02-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I remember when this play opened up in Chicago years ago before moving to Broadway. Got positive reviews when it debuted--hope TV can do it justice.
I'm not judging it either way, but it sounds like a fairly old school "buncha quirky characters in a set location standing around talking" sitcom. Particularly when you have James Burrows directing.
Old 02-02-17, 10:45 AM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I like Letts alot. Too bad he isn't involved in this.
Old 02-02-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I'm not judging it either way, but it sounds like a fairly old school "buncha quirky characters in a set location standing around talking" sitcom. Particularly when you have James Burrows directing.
Yeah, I'm dreading but kinda expecting the social commentary stripped out and this becoming a generic sitcom. Here's a taste of thoughts on the stage version though:

http://www.theatreinchicago.com/supe.../reviews/5920/
Old 02-02-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Saw the commercial for this and never would have thought it was based on a play... I'm actually surprised this isn't yet another Chuck Lorre produced comedy.
Old 02-02-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David St Hubbins!
Old 02-02-17, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dialogue really felt like a play that was filmed for television.
Not impressed so far.
Old 02-02-17, 10:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't make it 2 minutes. Terrible. Superstore continues to impress however...
Old 02-03-17, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm actually surprised this isn't yet another Chuck Lorre produced comedy.
I'm not. Given the promos for this and how lame/obvious the humor was, I knew it couldn't be a Lorre show.

I take it this was pretty bad?
Old 02-03-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh.

I felt worst for Katey Segal. From Sons of Anarchy to this...
Old 02-03-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oof , this was terrible but I would say the same thing about every CBS sitcom.
Old 02-06-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not good, but it was the pilot where the characters just parade in one at a time and introduce themselves. I like Judd Hirsch, so I'll give it another episode to see if anything good happens.
I just have to remember:
Murray Goldberg and Leonard Hofstadter's dad used to drive a taxi, but now owns a donut shop. For years, he attended a support group for single adults and his own father is immortal.
Old 02-07-17, 06:17 PM

Second episode was 10 times better than the pilot but it's still got a long way to go.
Old 02-07-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only saw a few seconds of the pilot but caught most of last night's episode.

It's not going to be the next Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory, but I kinda like it. Seems like a throwback to a 70's sitcom in some ways. I'm a bit of a Judd Hirsch fan, so I hope it hangs on for a while.
Old 02-07-17, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Only saw a few seconds of the pilot but caught most of last night's episode.

It's not going to be the next Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory, but I kinda like it. Seems like a throwback to a 70's sitcom in some ways. I'm a bit of a Judd Hirsch fan, so I hope it hangs on for a while.
I've heard comparisons to Chico And The Man.
Old 02-08-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was decent enough, a few mild laughs. I will watch a little more.
Old 02-08-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agree with the last couple guys. Last night was much better, so I will stick around for a bit.
Old 04-11-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still watching this, and still enjoying it. It's very much an old school Norman Lear sitcom. And I love that it's set in my old neighborhood. Last night's episode had an establishing shot filmed three blocks from my old place (which was an improvement on an earlier episode that showed the intersection of Western and Armitage and claimed it was Uptown).
Old 04-12-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife enjoys this so I've been watching as well. Anyone else feel the soundtrack is WAY too bass heavy?
Old 04-13-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
My wife enjoys this so I've been watching as well. Anyone else feel the soundtrack is WAY too bass heavy?
Nope.

Anyway I still watch too.
It's good. Very Learish.
Actually reminds me of Night Court and Barney Miller type shows.

Doesn't hurt that James Burrows directs
Old 04-13-17, 08:23 PM

Yeah, I've enjoyed the show more and more. The characters are all likable and they've got good chemistry.
Old 04-13-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The girl is adorable
Old 04-13-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post

David St Hubbins!
Holy crap! That's Detective Bell from Elementary on stage with Lenny from Laverne & Shirley!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.