Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-02-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

screenshot tool

In a world where humanity must cope with the collateral damage of Super Heroes and Super-Villains, Emily Locke (Vanessa Hudgens) begins her first day as Director of Research & Development for Wayne Security, a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises that specializes in products that make defenseless bystanders feel a little safer. Full of confidence and big ideas, Emily quickly learns that her expectations far exceed those of her new boss (Alan Tudyk) and officemates, so it will be up to her to lead the team toward their full potential and the realization that you don’t need superpowers to be a hero.

Danny Pudi, Christina Kirk and Ron Funches also star.

Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker, Len Goldstein, Marc Buckland and Dean Lorey are executive producers of “Powerless.” The series is produced by Warner Bros. Television and is based on the characters from DC.

13 episode season

Trailer:

Old 02-02-17, 07:32 AM

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Re: Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

I'll be interested in seeing what, if any, changes were made to the pilot I saw almost a year ago. Either way... looks crappy.
Old 02-02-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'll be interested in seeing what, if any, changes were made to the pilot I saw almost a year ago. Either way... looks crappy.
According to entertainment Weekly's review:

"The original cut of Powerless ... was much more enticing than this new version. In it, Emily was an existing insurance employee who snaps out of her office drone reverie when she stands up to one of the superheroes, Pudi’s Teddy was her best friend, Tudyk’s Van was a bagel-station-ruining villain as their new boss, Kirk’s Jackie lusted after characters like Aquaman, and Kate Micucci drew laughs as a character who suspects one of her coworkers is Green Lantern. (Micucci is nowhere to be found in the new version.)

Sure, it’s just a pilot, but the changes have watered down much of the darker (and sometimes naughtier) humor that gave Powerless an edge in its comic-book-ensconced world. The current version treats its setting as something viewers have to be reminded of, not something it can skewer, with too much emphasis on the quirky nature of Emily and her team’s work (they invent tools that protect bystanders like themselves from becoming collateral damage), and too many distracting references to heroes both iconic (Batman!) and less so (Crimson Fox?) in every other line just to keep that corporate connection to DC’s comics world intact."

Last edited by DWilson; 02-02-17 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 07:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Tudyk is the only reason I am even considering giving this a shot.
Old 02-02-17, 09:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 452 Likes on 402 Posts

Anyone see this? It's kinda cute. Hudgens is as well. Like the DC nods and title credits. Might give it another go...
Old 02-02-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,505 Likes on 980 Posts

That was terrible!

It's a clever premise with horribly amateurish execution. I've got a headache from how many times they hit us over the head with unneeded superhero references. A drinking game could be made from how many times they mentioned Bruce Wayne in this episode, just in case we couldn't grasp what was going on.

I can't see myself sticking with this show. Whoever revamped this completely screwed the pooch.

Hudgens has matured nicely though...
Old 02-02-17, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 452 Likes on 402 Posts

Yeah, I take it back. It's terrible. Especially the silly effects.
Old 02-02-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

I like it. Made me laugh.

Van Waynechas a purple tie and pocket square.
Everyone knows what' that means.

Was odd that the first bad guy was
Jack O Lantern a marvel villain.

Also saw a Big Belly Burger sign.
Old 02-02-17, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was not a fan of it, thought all the acting in it was horrendous even for a bad sitcom. Having said that there was one thing I loved, it was great to see Starro.
Old 02-02-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Powerless - DC Comics Workplace Comedy Lands At NBC

Well, that first episode was...meh.
Old 02-03-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was far more entertaining than I would have thought. Perhaps my bar was set too low. But I'll definitely give it another go.
Old 02-03-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Vanessa's character was perky to the point of being VERY annoying. Maybe that's the point of her character, being too over-eager and seemingly having 546 cups of coffee, but it almost made me turn it off early.
Old 02-03-17, 11:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

as expected, if not for Tudyk, I'd be out. I'll give it another episode at least.
Old 02-03-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 908 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Was odd that the first bad guy was
Jack O Lantern a marvel villain.
DC has a Jack O'Lantern too, although as far as I can remember, he was a good guy.
Old 02-03-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

I really liked the credit sequence. I'm not sure this pilot had the best material to offer, they were obviously trying to establish some kind of formula with it. They went overboard trying to reference Bruce Wayne and Batman.

The cast is pretty good, which is about all one should judge in a comedy pilot. This is a sitcom that would pair much better with The Big Bang Theory. Its debut ratings were fairly average on NBC.
Old 02-03-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked this mainly mainly due to the cast. The script and jokes were nothing special. But the premise is interesting.
Old 02-03-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I liked the credit sequence. The rest I thought was absolutely terrible and felt like it was written for five year olds. I just couldn't believe a show with Hudgens, Tudyk and Pudi could be that bad. I'll give it a couple more episodes because it has a great premise but that pilot doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 02-03-17, 05:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

Loved the premise, the credit sequence, the Starro cameo. The writing/concepts were good, but the actual script and delivery were off. Like horrible. I've thought about DC comics at least hourly since 1972, but without that bias I doubt I'd watch another episode.
Old 02-03-17, 05:28 PM

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,767 Posts

The original pilot was even worse.
Old 02-03-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Great concept, poor execution. I think it would work better as an actual DC title than as a show. Tudyk is the saving grace at this point. Main issue is that it's too mature for kids but also too childish for adults. This would have been a good Friday night offering in the early to mid 90s.
Old 02-04-17, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Ha, I was about to say the only good thing about this was the title sequence with the classic covers. Hudgens, especially, was terrible in this, and that last joke about working for Batman... seriously? And those super power special effects... ugh.
Old 02-04-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Well I liked the credit sequence. The rest I thought was absolutely terrible and felt like it was written for five year olds. I just couldn't believe a show with Hudgens, Tudyk and Pudi could be that bad. I'll give it a couple more episodes because it has a great premise but that pilot doesn't inspire confidence.
I agree. The credits were better than the rest of the show. I didn't crack a smile even once (well, maybe when Starro blew-up, but that was before the credits).
Old 02-04-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I saw this yesterday. I didn't really find many laughs. I did find it funny at all the forced DC references. They really wanted to rub it into your face that this show actually has some association with DC.

Hudgens is cute, but I did find her schtick in the episode a little annoying. So Van Wayne is Bruce's annoying loser cousin?
Old 02-04-17, 10:37 PM

It was too over the top quirky. I was only able to take the first 10 minutes and I stopped.

Bummer
Old 02-05-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I enjoyed it, but way too silly for the wife....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.