Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

I'm surprised they didn't include a former recognizable hero or villain that has lost their powers and now works in a menial office job. That character would write itself.
Old 02-05-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Powerless (NBC) -- S: Vanessa Hudgens, Danny Pudi -- DC Comics comedy -- 2/2/17

Forgot to say that there were two things I liked about this and totally forgot about. I liked the Adam West narration and Starro being blasted by a Green Lantern. Otherwise I was so disappointed in this.
Old 02-06-17, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm surprised they didn't include a former recognizable hero or villain that has lost their powers and now works in a menial office job. That character would write itself.
Sounds like Powers.
Old 02-06-17, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought someone here mentioned that they saw the show at Comic Con and that the initial character that Vanessa is playing was going to play was someone that was tired of the heroes destroying everything and was more cynical. The first trailer for it even shows her getting made at the hero and everyone cheering her on and her co workers asking her how it felt standing up to one. I think that would have worked out better than the naive and optimistic new girl.
Old 02-06-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NBC had already fired the first showrunner before it ever hit air. It's pretty clear Powerless had development problems from the beginning. For example Ron Funches wasn't even in the original pilot.
Old 02-06-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

My 12-year-old loved it and I think he's a bit more the audience it's aiming at. I found it amusing but not quite essential, the s/fx were startlingly cheap and I kind of like the original more Damage Control-sounding premise than this one, but I'll give it a few more episodes as the boy is hooked on it, pilots usually are the worst episode in a series too.
Old 02-07-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I liked it. I'm sure it can be tweaked but I still enjoyed it. It was goofy and fun. I love and appreciate that this series has no problem with acknowledging the existence of A-List Heroes. That last bit with Batman and Joker was pretty funny...
Old 02-07-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Pilot was terrible and I am a known DC Fanboy in these parts

I won't watch again, unless I hear there is a big turn around.
Old 02-09-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Overall I rate this a 'C'.

Liked seeing Crimson Fox, Jack O'Lantern(Although Why is he a villain?), and STARRO.
Also the brief narration by Adam West was cool to hear.

Not much in the laugh department, may have chuckle once.

I see Robert Buckley(Major on IZombie) is playing a henchman of the Riddler.
Old 02-09-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll say it again...this show has the same format as "Better Off Ted".
Old 02-10-17, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
DC has a Jack O'Lantern too, although as far as I can remember, he was a good guy.
There have been multiple versions; one was evil (or, at least, had allegiances contrary to those of the Justice League).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_O...ern_(DC_Comics)

The show was very meh, and it's painfully obvious how low their effects budget is.
Old 02-10-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Second episode was actually a pretty big drop-off from the first for me. Other than the constant Wayne name dropping this might not be set in a comic book universe at all. The fantasy league stuff was awful and I hate these workplace comedies that have a set full of people yet there appear to only be three staff actually interacting with their boss in any way. Tudyk is good though as usual, but I can't see this making it past 8 or 9 episodes. Any word on how it's rating?
Old 02-10-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Second episode was actually a pretty big drop-off from the first for me. Other than the constant Wayne name dropping this might not be set in a comic book universe at all. The fantasy league stuff was awful and I hate these workplace comedies that have a set full of people yet there appear to only be three staff actually interacting with their boss in any way. Tudyk is good though as usual, but I can't see this making it past 8 or 9 episodes. Any word on how it's rating?
Cancel Bear already says it's on the bubble and I would agree. I have a feeling that NBC wants to have at least one show in the superhero space to generate internet buzz and Powerless is about the cheapest way for that to happen.

As for your critique, I would mostly concur. One line in this second episode gave away how little actual comics background that Powerless' writers bring to the table. They threw Sinestro, Flash and the Phantom Zone together in a throwaway line that wasn't written by anyone that had actually ever read DC comics.

We all have to hope it improves like Parks and Recreation did after a rough first season.
Old 02-10-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't really care for the second episode. I was hoping they would steal the joke from Tales of the Borderlands with the finger guns but they didn't go all the way there. So it kind of fell flat for me.
Old 02-11-17, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
pilots usually are the worst episode in a series too.
Was hoping for that, but so far, the second episode is the worst.
Old 02-11-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well this episode did make me chuckle a couple of times. I also kind of enjoyed Tudyk with the finger guns photo shopping himself in. Other than that it was almost as painful as the first episode. It feels like an over the top sitcom that wants to be like The Office and failing at both. Hopefully when Fire appears in a couple episodes she will add some life to the show.
Old 02-12-17, 05:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually quite enjoyed the first 2 eps of this show

I wish they had it properly set in the arrowverse so they could do some crossover. Still have the same comedic silly tone, but allow for proper cross overs from the Flash, green arrow etc
Old 02-12-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Dumping this show after watching 10 minutes of the second episode. I don't mind Hudgens and her perkiness, but don't care for the rest of the cast.
Old 02-13-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed the second ep. I like the HR guy I hope he stays as a regular. The line about how Superman saves everyone but mostly Lois Lane was pretty funny.
Old 02-13-17, 01:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm out.
Old 02-13-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do think Powerless will be completely retooled and have a new writing staff if it gets a second season.

So give it a shot next season.
Old 02-13-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Cancel Bear already says it's on the bubble and I would agree. I have a feeling that NBC wants to have at least one show in the superhero space to generate internet buzz and Powerless is about the cheapest way for that to happen.

As for your critique, I would mostly concur. One line in this second episode gave away how little actual comics background that Powerless' writers bring to the table. They threw Sinestro, Flash and the Phantom Zone together in a throwaway line that wasn't written by anyone that had actually ever read DC comics.

We all have to hope it improves like Parks and Recreation did after a rough first season.
Parks and Rec had an incredible cast in hindisight, though, with one big exception that got jettisoned. But the writing was terrible, I mean how can you make Chris Pratt like the worst character in that season?

This one has a high concept (which has already been tinkered with) and little else. Maybe the cast is more talented than I think and just need to gel together, but ugh.

And Better off Ted was much much better than this early on.
Old 02-14-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Couldn't make it to the halfway point on the second ep. watching on Hulu. They either need to retool the show or put it out of its misery. Tudyk will bounce back fine and Hudgens will as well.
Old 02-15-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I normally like Tudyk but I don't think he's been a positive addition to Powerless. He's trying too hard to be Michael Scott.
Old 02-16-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, I liked the second episode much more than the first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.