DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Training Day (CBS) -- S: Bill Paxton -- Based on the movie -- Premieres 2/2/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638938-training-day-cbs-s-bill-paxton-based-movie-premieres-2-2-17-a.html)

DJariya 02-02-17 12:00 AM

Training Day (CBS) -- S: Bill Paxton -- Based on the movie -- Premieres 2/2/17

https://s23.postimg.org/e1qvsffsr/Training_Day.jpgclick image upload

BILL PAXTON AND JUSTIN CORNWELL STAR AS A JADED, ROGUE DETECTIVE AND THE IDEALISTIC OFFICER TASKED WITH GOING UNDERCOVER ON HIS TEAM TO BRING HIM DOWN, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF THE NEW DRAMA “TRAINING DAY,” THURSDAY, FEB. 2

Katrina Law, Drew Van Acker, Lex Scott Davis, Julie Benz, Christina Vidal and Marianne Jean-Baptiste Also Star

“Apocalypse Now” – Bill Paxton and Justin Cornwell star as a jaded, rogue detective and the idealistic officer tasked with going undercover on his team to bring him down, on the series premiere of the new drama TRAINING DAY, Thursday, Feb. 2 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Katrina Law, Drew Van Acker, Lex Scott Davis, Julie Benz, Christina Vidal and Marianne Jean-Baptiste also star.

TRAINING DAY is a crime thriller that begins 15 years after the events of the feature film, about a young, idealistic police officer who is tapped to go undercover in an elite squad of the LAPD where he partners with a morally ambiguous veteran detective. Detective Frank Rourke is the maverick head of the Special Investigation Section (S.I.S.) that hunts the city’s most dangerous criminals, and one of the finest investigators the department has ever produced. However, when the LAPD brass notices Rourke’s penchant for operating in a gray area to fight the war on crime, they assign Kyle Craig, a heroic, untarnished cop, to pose as Frank’s trainee to spy on him and report on his off-book methods. The members of Frank’s loyal team include Rebecca Lee, a formidable officer with killer aim and a dark past, and Tommy Campbell, a former pro surfer who follows Frank’s orders without hesitation. The team’s cases find Frank and Kyle often crossing paths with Detective Valeria Chavez, one of the LAPD’s top investigators. Providing Frank with intel is his girlfriend, Holly Butler, a well-connected, unapologetic Hollywood madam. While LAPD Deputy Chief Joy Lockhart coolly puts Kyle in danger in her mission to take down Frank, Kyle’s schoolteacher wife, Alyse, worries her husband’s resolve to avenge the murder of his father, a cop, may be his undoing. As Frank starts teaching his principled trainee the way of the streets where the ends often justify the means, they form an uneasy alliance that will change the course of both their lives irrevocably.

REGULAR CAST:
Bill Paxton (Det. Frank Rourke)
Justin Cornwell (Det. Kyle Craig)
Katrina Law (Rebecca Lee)
Drew Van Acker (Tommy Campbell)
Lex Scott Davis (Alyse Craig)
Julie Benz (Holly Butler)
Christina Vidal (Det. Valeria Chavez)
And Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Deputy Chief Joy Lockhart)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producer Will Beall
DIRECTED BY: Danny Cannon

Trailer:

13 episode 1st season

This is a sequel series to the 2001 movie. Takes place 15 years after the events of the movie.

d2cheer 02-02-17 07:11 AM

Re: Training Day (CBS) -- S: Bill Paxton -- Based on the movie -- Premieres 2/2/17

I like Bill Paxton but there is no way this will be good. The previews for it have been horrendous.

Rob V 02-02-17 08:24 AM

Re: Training Day (CBS) -- S: Bill Paxton -- Based on the movie -- Premieres 2/2/17

^^ Agreed. In the trailer, Paxton talks too much and it's non-stop cliches.

dex14 02-02-17 08:34 AM

Pass.

Deftones 02-02-17 08:40 AM

yeah, Bill Paxton is great, but there are a few things working against this. The recent history CBS has doing TV shows of movies (Rush Hour) is atrocious. Plus, the look of this is just off. It has that orange tint like they used in CSI and CSI:Miami to make it look gritty. Terrible. I won't watch.

mrhan 02-02-17 11:50 AM

I would watch it if they bring Cliff Curtis back for a cameo. He was the best character in the movie. :lol:

jjcool 02-02-17 12:17 PM

I'll check it out if only for Katrina Law.

Traxan 02-02-17 02:20 PM

Not to mention they reversed the roles. And I mean seriously, who could possibly compare to Denzel in that role?

MLBFan24 02-02-17 02:45 PM

I was planning on recording this, but my DVR's schedule is full tonight. Then I lost interest in this show and I'm on the fence about catching this On Demand.

Maybe if I'm bored over the weekend, I may check this out.

I do like Katrina Law though

DJariya 02-02-17 02:52 PM

I met Katrina Law a year ago at a comic convention. She was still working on Arrow at the time. Not only is she hot, but she's so nice. I have a signed picture of her in my office and I also have a selfie with her.

I'm going to watch mainly to support her.

Edit: And yes, I've read the early reviews and so far they have not been kind.

DJariya 02-03-17 02:30 AM

I hate to say it, but I actually have to agree with a lot of the critics opinions of this so far. The 1st episode was very lightweight. It was style over substance.

It was watchable, but very mediocre at best & forgettable.

Produced like a typical Jerry Bruckheimer CBS drama. The director of the episode Danny Cannon directed the Pilot episode of CSI. Just did not have the edge of more far superior LA cop dramas like Southland or The Shield. And seriously, why did they use lens flares in some scenes?

I like Paxton too, but his character Frank Rourke is no Alonzo Harris. I thought some of his acting was way over the top and not really believable as a supposed dirty cop.

They did make a passing reference to Denzel's Alonzo Harris early in the episode to keep some continuity with the movie.

and if Kyle Craig is supposed to be "Undercover", why the hell did he call out Rourke as being dirty and basically reveal all his intentions? Kind of defeats the purpose of his recruitment to this unit? Now they're going to work together to solve Kyle's Dad's murder? I'm confused.

I was hoping this would be good, but I guess I was kidding myself that CBS would produce a quality gritty cop drama. I'd give this between a C and C-

For those on the fence who already have very full DVRs with little to no extra time to watch more new shows, I would probably tell you to pass on this.

Quatermass 02-03-17 09:51 AM

I defiinitely do not recommend it. The concept isn't bad, but the dialogue is idiotic and totally unnatural. It's got all the cliches from every cop show ever. I predict this will get relegated to a Saturday burn-off starting with episode 3.

DeadLamb 02-03-17 11:25 AM

They really broke out the tacti-cool weapons locker for this show. I think every rifle had at least 5 pounds worth of different attachments that of course no one used or needed. :lol:

as for the show over all. Meh, I've watched worse shows in the past. I'll stick this one out for a few more eps even if it's seems to be nothing but a running shoot out for an hour.

that said it did have what looked like some wonky CGI back ground issues. I don't know if it was reshoots, budget or a lighting issue. Like Katrina Law as a sniper looked straight green screen/studio lighting for the hill back ground when she was near the log. The reverse angle on location looked like stand ins.

Part of the post shoot out blah blah scene looked to be greens screen back ground too for 1/2 the bad guys lines. The also had the main bad guy walk backwards toward the car and that was clearly a stand in also.

Just kind of strange. Again, I'm guess reshoots or budget. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

PhantomStranger 02-03-17 02:36 PM

If you want to see a slick action procedural on CBS, watch Random on Saturday nights.

DJariya 02-03-17 07:12 PM

The ratings for the 1st episode were pretty bad. Under 5M viewers watched. So many shows that air at 10pm are struggling. Last night's The Blacklist, which aired at the same time, had it's worst ratings ever in series history. Seems like these Nielsen families just aren't watching live TV that hour.

I agree with Quartermass' comment a lot of the dialogue in this 1st episode was idiotic. Katrina Law's character made a comment saying something like...."We're going to be killing some people today Kyle" What Cop talks like that?

Also, it's only 1 episode, but seems like Paxton's character is more of an extremist with good intentions who bends the rules a little. Not at all like Denzel's Alonzo Harris, who was a fucking gangster thug with a badge. Denzel's character from what I recall was doing coke, banging hookers and stealing right off the bat.

What is even more surprising is the show was written by a former LAPD cop named Will Beall. He must have had his hands tied being realistic by CBS's standards and practices. No way was anything portrayed here realistic to his work as a cop.

whotony 02-03-17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13004416)
If you want to see a slick action procedural on CBS, watch Random on Saturday nights.

Sure , But what do you think about Ransom?

also the show with Jen Lopez and Ray liotta is similar to Training Day and is actually good

DJariya 02-03-17 08:31 PM

Shades of Blue (J-Lo's show) is actually quite good compared to Training Day.

Ray Liotta is actually a really good villain in that one. That doesn't come back until March 5th.

Quake1028 02-16-17 01:23 PM

The second episode last week was so, so, so bad. Ugh.

PhantomStranger 02-19-17 03:06 PM

Training Day is what is, a lightweight CBS police procedural. I stuck with it for three episodes because of Katrina Law and Bill Paxton, but this is likely where I start watching only sporadically.

I don't think Paxton was the right casting choice for this role. Love him as an actor but I don't think a morally ambivalent cop is the right fit for his skills.

The series is basically a glossy network version of The Shield, but without the heavyweight drama that made The Shield so great.

mdc3000 02-20-17 12:41 PM

^All valid points - I liked the first episode but the last two have been typical, who gives a shit, CBS procedural...I thought the pilot made it seem like this would be something more, but so far it is not.

DJariya 02-26-17 09:54 AM

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...-at-61-w468936

Bill Paxton dead at 61

:(

Holy shit.

Orbi-Wan Techno 02-26-17 10:00 AM

Well, this really bums me out. He's not much older than me, and we actually watched the last two episodes of Training Day last night, which we feel had a lot of character development in them. My wife even turned to me and said "this could become one of my favorite cop shows." Bill Paxton was definitely the glue that held that show together and made the show interesting to us.

DJariya 02-26-17 10:07 AM

There's like 9 episodes left to air. This has got to be a weird situation for CBS.

Orbi-Wan Techno 02-26-17 10:15 AM

Loved this bit from IO9

Paxton is also one of only two actors to have been killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator, and a Terminator, an honor he shares with Lance Henriksen. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

Eric F 02-26-17 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno (Post 13019921)
Loved this bit from IO9

Paxton is also one of only two actors to have been killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator, and a Terminator, an honor he shares with Lance Henriksen. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

Now I want to see an Alien vs Predator vs Terminator movie...