DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S3E11) -- "Dead or Alive" -- 1/31/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638917-flash-s3e11-dead-alive-1-31-17-a.html)

DJariya 01-31-17 04:06 PM

The Flash (S3E11) -- "Dead or Alive" -- 1/31/17

http://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/asset...311a_0377b.jpg

TUESDAY, JANUARY 31

THE FLASH

"Dead or Alive" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

DC COMICS' GYPSY ARRIVES ON EARTH-1 - H.R.'s (Tom Cavanagh) past catches up with him when a bounty hunter with vibe powers named Gypsy (guest star Jessica Camacho) arrives in Central City to bring him back to Earth-19 to stand trial for his crime. It turns out inter-dimensional travel is illegal on their Earth. H.R. surrenders but when Barry (Grant Gustin) and Cisco (Carlos Valdes) find out that H.R.'s only hope would be to challenge Gypsy to a fight to the death, they intercede and Cisco offers to fight Gypsy instead. Harry Jierjian directed the episode with story by Benjamin Raab and Deric A. Hughes and teleplay by Zack Stentz (#311). Original airdate 1/31/2017.

Episode 11 of 23

Michael Corvin 01-31-17 08:28 PM

Re: The Flash (S3E11) -- "Dead or Alive" -- 1/31/17

Great all around episode.

Cisco & Gypsy? Niiiice. They definitely need to bring her back. She could teach Cisco a few things on and off the battlefield. The scene where Iris was distracting Joe was hilarious. Jessie L Martin was fucking geinus with his reactions.

Only two real complaints, the writers are turning Julian into The Flash's version of Walter O'Brien from Scorpion, a socially inept genius. One Walter O'Brien is enough on the tube.

Second? Holy shit Candace Patton can't cry. :lol:

Deftones 01-31-17 08:58 PM

:lol: them going to Supergirl's earth for the fight.

DJariya 02-01-17 03:15 AM

rotfl Loved Cisco and Gypsy falling into Catco Worldwide and freaking out Miss. Teschmacher.

It was a fun episode. Loved Cisco's banter and seeing how smitten he was with Gypsy.

Baron Of Hell 02-01-17 08:39 AM

I bet Joe knows how to move in fast and hard.

hdnmickey 02-01-17 09:00 AM

Fun episode. Even HR was tolerable for once. Hopefully Gypsy will be brought back to help out Cisco with one thing (vibing), or another. ;)

Unclejosh 02-01-17 09:50 AM

I liked the episode but I really hate how they have to depower speedsters in order to make the plot work. So basically Gypsy (and eventually Vibe) is one of the most powerful super-beings on all Earths? Because she was able to move as fast as Barry running at full speed and throw him into a wormhole and was able to totally freeze and incapacitate Wally. Barry can move faster then the speed of sound and is able to move faster than the human eye can detect so how was she able to do what she did EVEN if she expected it to happen. That is like knowing someone is shooting you but being able to dodge a bullet yet Barry and Wally can move faster than bullets. Makes no sense. Even Superman/Supergirl would be no problem because she could just make them go into another earth and they would have no way back.

Still enjoyed the it overall but that one thing ALWAYS bugs me and takes me out of every Superhero show.

Deftones 02-01-17 01:14 PM

Watched the end again before Legends. Has me believe He will sacrifice himself to save the team against Savitar.

mrhan 02-01-17 02:02 PM

I thought it was odd that Cisco mentioned he was going to fight for HR because the Dr. Wells of E-1 helped him out. Correct me if I'm wrong but he never met the original Wells because he was killed by RF.

hdnmickey 02-01-17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13002561)
I thought it was odd that Cisco mentioned he was going to fight for HR because the Dr. Wells of E-1 helped him out. Correct me if I'm wrong but he never met the original Wells because he was killed by RF.

There was another point in the same episode where he clarified it with "guy with the same face" which acknowledges it wasn't really Wells.

They also called him Wells for that time (year+ ?) so in casual conversation they are simply going to call him Wells despite knowing it wasn't really him.

Xiroteus 02-01-17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13002258)
I liked the episode but I really hate how they have to depower speedsters in order to make the plot work. So basically Gypsy (and eventually Vibe) is one of the most powerful super-beings on all Earths? Because she was able to move as fast as Barry running at full speed and throw him into a wormhole and was able to totally freeze and incapacitate Wally. Barry can move faster then the speed of sound and is able to move faster than the human eye can detect so how was she able to do what she did EVEN if she expected it to happen. That is like knowing someone is shooting you but being able to dodge a bullet yet Barry and Wally can move faster than bullets. Makes no sense. Even Superman/Supergirl would be no problem because she could just make them go into another earth and they would have no way back.

Still enjoyed the it overall but that one thing ALWAYS bugs me and takes me out of every Superhero show.

They do that a lot of late. All I'm thinking is they just showed us that when they are going that fast no one is moving from their prospective yet at times they are catching up to a car? Just a little odd and downplaying their powers.

randian 02-01-17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13002258)
I liked the episode but I really hate how they have to depower speedsters in order to make the plot work.

Speedsters shouldn't have been so overpowered to begin with. Yes, I know it's from the comics but the Flash's powers are like Supergirl's in most situations, totally overpowering everything. That means the hero either must act stupid (as Supergirl frequently does when she forgets she has a ranged attack) or the hero's powers must quit working like they should in the-plot-demands-it situations.

Xiroteus 02-01-17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 13002646)
Speedsters shouldn't have been so overpowered to begin with. Yes, I know it's from the comics but the Flash's powers are like Supergirl's in most situations, totally overpowering everything. That means the hero either must act stupid (as Supergirl frequently does when she forgets she has a ranged attack) or the hero's powers must quit working like they should in the-plot-demands-it situations.

I watch the show with someone that does not quite understand how powerful superspeed (in every way) really is. Their speed and reaction time is so fast even a villain with a lot of power is useless if they are not even moving. Any type of gun never made any since as being a threat. They get hit by things (Flash, Supergirl) that they could dodge with ease.

How fast do you think they should have made them? (Or that and a combo of limiting their extras?

PhantomStranger 02-02-17 02:36 PM

I liked Gypsy but the fight between Cisco and her was awfully jokey for a battle to the death.

I did find the scene with Iris misleading Joe about adding a new member to the family hilarious. His facial reactions were pure gold.

robin2099 02-02-17 02:59 PM

Think this was my favorite episode of the season so far. A lot of fun and nice to see Cisco get a time to shine. I like Julian has part of the team. His straight forward dickihsness has been missing since Earth 2 Wells left. Hopefully Gypsy comes back at some point.

hdnmickey 02-02-17 03:18 PM

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed to be clear both Cisco and Gypsy were never battling to the death. At best they were going to make the other yield, which is what happened. Given that, the joking around just made it clear ahead of Cisco using Julian's tip about her lack of balance.

Jim Patterson 02-02-17 03:33 PM

Anybody catch the Fringe references?

randian 02-02-17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Patterson (Post 13003596)

No. Do tell.

Giantrobo 02-03-17 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13003534)
I liked Gypsy but the fight between Cisco and her was awfully jokey for a battle to the death.

Yeah I chalked that up to Gypsy kinda liking Cisco even if her need to follow rules was tugging at her. Obviously she was holding back big time.

Duh..just realized she was a character on Sleepy Hollow.

PhantomStranger 02-03-17 02:22 PM

After seeing the terrible effects for Crimson Fox's battle on Powerless, I'll never complain about Flash's battles. The Flash battles look ten times better.

Lifepawn 02-03-17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Patterson (Post 13003596)

Yes.

Fringe Spoiler
Spoiler:
When Gypsy references their Earth being harmed by someone from an alternate Earth and later that coffee was rare on her world due to blight. Both of those things also happened on Fringe to Earth 2.