TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

RIP Mary Tyler Moore - Dead at 80

Old 01-25-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: RIP Mary Tyler Moore - Dead at 80

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I wonder if she makes it onto the Oscars "In Memorium" segment or is she considered primarily a TV icon like Farrah and Vigoda? She did get an Oscar nomination though.
I guess it depends on what you said, plus if they consider celebs that died during 2016 or in the year since the last segment.
Old 01-25-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I wonder if she makes it onto the Oscars "In Memorium" segment or is she considered primarily a TV icon like Farrah and Vigoda? She did get an Oscar nomination though.
She did movies and was a big celebrity for many years - so that's enough to get her onto the Oscars In Memorium. And even she wasn't a big celebrity, - her Oscar nomination alone gets her included. Although I think it'll be next year since I think she missed the cutoff.
Old 01-25-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Damn.

I have always loved Mary. I became infatuated with her in the early 80's when I first watched The Dick Van Dyke Show. She was so awesome! And, of course, she was fantastic on her own show in the 70's. The quality of both of those shows is at the pinnacle of sitcom writing, acting, and directing.

The Dick Van Dyke Show was the first modern sitcom, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the first sitcom about a single, career oriented woman. Both shows were so groundbreaking, and both shows featured amazing writing and acting. Both casts were unbelievably good.

And, yeah, young Mary was HOT! Dick Van Dyke became infatuated with her when they made the show (and she was infatuated with him), but neither of them were available so they never did anything about it. They loved each other, though, and remained good friends. Dick has just got to be crushed. I don't think he ever expected to outlive her.

And both Valerie Harper (who was, "Supposed to be," dead 4 years ago) and ROSE MARIE have outlived Mary. WTF??? It had to be complications from diabetes.

If you ever want to see Mary put an evil, bitchy spin on her 70's character check out the 3 episode stint she did on That 70's Show! Great stuff! (And she even got a scene with Gavin MacLeod for the end credits!)

She will be missed.
Old 01-25-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Who Could Turn the World on with Smile?
Who could Take a Nothing Day and Suddenly Make it Seem Worthwhile?

MARY TYLER MOORE! That's Who!

Rest In Peace!
Old 01-26-17, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely was crushing on her in the 70's when her show was on. I enjoyed the Dick Vandyke show but was too young to appreciate how attractive she was. She was the perfect girl next door which is a look I love.

RIP young lady.
Old 01-26-17, 06:50 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-26-17, 07:29 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

"CBS THIS MORNING" CO-HOST GAYLE KING TO ANCHOR "MARY TYLER MOORE: LOVE IS ALL AROUND," A NEW ONE-HOUR SPECIAL ON THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF THE LEGENDARY ACTRESS, THURSDAY, JAN. 26, 9:00-10:00 PM ON CBS

Special to Include Interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Newsmakers and Admirers

CBS THIS MORNING co-host Gayle King will anchor MARY TYLER MOORE: LOVE IS ALL AROUND, a new one-hour, CBS News special honoring the life and legacy of legendary actress Mary Tyler Moore, to be broadcast Thursday, Jan. 26 (9:00 -10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The special will feature original reporting and mine CBS' vast archives to present the story of the pioneering actress' life and career. In addition, the special will include interviews with Oprah Winfrey, newsmakers, admirers and others expressing their thoughts about Moore's profound impact on acting and how women were portrayed in the media, as well as her work outside of entertainment.

Moore, whose iconic CBS comedy series "Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1970-77) forever changed television and how women were presented in the work place, died Tuesday. She was 80.

Moore had a long history with CBS, having starred in such series as "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-66); "The Mary Tyler Moore Hour" (1979); "Mary" (1985-86); and "New York News" (1995).
Old 01-26-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

It's hard to believe I have never seen one single episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show. I remember my older sister used to watch the MTMS when I was a kid. RIP Mary.
Old 01-26-17, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to the CBS special, PBS will repeat a 2015 special Mary Tyler Moore: A Celebration (check your local listings) or you can stream it now.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365572188/

Also, MeTV has scheduled a three-hour marathon of The Mary Tyler Moore Show for Sunday (Jan. 29), featuring six of the series’ best episodes.
Old 01-26-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
It's hard to believe I have never seen one single episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Shame on you. It's only, arguably, the greatest sitcom ever. With the greatest, most talented sitcom cast ever. It is without a doubt the first modern sitcom, too. The Dick Van Dyke Show also featured a ton of talent behind the camera with some amazing writers, producers, and directors.

And the chemistry between the entire cast was phenomenal, especially so between Dick and Mary.

The first season found the show trying to find it's footing (a great show, but not quite as good as it would become), but by the second season they really hit their stride. My favorite episode is still the next to last episode, where Rob has a Western dream while under sedation for dental work. Great stuff!

And Mary was personally tutored in comedy by Morey Amsterdam and Dick Van Dyke (since she had no experience in comedy prior to that). You can't get better teachers than that!
Old 01-26-17, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Old 01-26-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
This is the single best episode of TV... EVER. An instant classic.
Old 01-26-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You know what's amazing -- out of the main cast of the Dick Van Dyke show (her, Dick, Maury Amsterdam, Rose Marie, Larry Mathews, Carl Reiner), she's only the second one to die. There are shows that started twenty years later that have higher mortality rates.
I would consider Richard Deacon part of the main cast.. he died in the 80s. Plus, Jerry Paris and Ann Morgan Guilbert. DEAD
Old 01-26-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This is the single best episode of TV... EVER. An instant classic.
Certainly one of the best, funniest scenes in TV history.

A local radio personality was discussing this today. I missed where he grew up but he said as a teenager he worked for a landscaper that did work on her property all summer. He said she was very skinny. Not very talkative but would say hello as she walked by. Her husband the doctor never seemed to go to work. He was always there riding around on the property on a four wheeler checking on the workers. He had quite a reputation as not a nice guy. If he opened his mouth to you, he was yelling at you.
Old 01-26-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really is amazing that Mary ended up being in two of the 10 greatest Sitcoms of all time. I can't think of anyone else who has been in two sitcoms that well regarded and that lasting in both popularity and respect over time. (Some might cite Bob Newhart, but Newhart - the 80's show - wasn't up to the level of The Bob Newhart Show, although it did have the best final scene in sitcom hsitory!)

Hell, a strong argument could be made that The Dick Van Dyke Show was the greatest sitcom ever. (Some people argue that The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the best, but whichever one you prefer, there is no denying how well written, directed, and acted both shows were.)

It's interesting that she couldn't find success in the 80's. Both of her shows were cancelled after only 10 or 12 episodes each. Maybe people just wanted to remember Mary as she was on DVD and MTM...
Old 01-27-17, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Hell, a strong argument could be made that The Dick Van Dyke Show was the greatest sitcom ever. (Some people argue that The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the best, but whichever one you prefer, there is no denying how well written, directed, and acted both shows were.)
TV Guide once ran an article about the best sitcom of each decade.
1950s-Love Lucy
1960s-Dick Van Dyke Show
1970s-Mary Tyler Moore Show
1980s-Cheers
1990s-Seinfeld
Old 01-27-17, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS ran a nice retrospective on her last night. Although I watched the show I was probably too young to get the "take your pill" everyone was referring to. If she was getting laid at all, it was so subtle, this 11 year old didn't catch what was going on.
Old 01-27-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

To be the star of 2 classic TV shows along with having a successful movie career really puts her up there in the Pantheon of successful actors in Hollywood. You think she would have been type-cast as the cute/ lovable wife from the Dick Van Dyke show, but was able to transition to a single/career women on the MTM show.
Old 01-27-17, 08:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'd have no problem calling them the top two sitcoms ever. They're certainly in my top five at worst.
Old 01-27-17, 10:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And ABC's 20/20 will devote this evening's show (Jan. 27) to Mary
Old 01-27-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
CBS ran a nice retrospective on her last night. Although I watched the show I was probably too young to get the "take your pill" everyone was referring to. If she was getting laid at all, it was so subtle, this 11 year old didn't catch what was going on.
I watched a bit of this, but it really seemed thrown-together and disorganized. I turned it off after about 15 minutes.
Old 01-27-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I watched a bit of this, but it really seemed thrown-together and disorganized. I turned it off after about 15 minutes.
I read an off-hand comment on TV Line that it was "disappointing" and was going to ask if that was the general opinion.
Old 01-27-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I turned it on but saw Oprah and Gayle annoyingly yabbering it up about Mary Tyler Moore, so I turned it off. Were they hosting the whole show, or were they just on for the segment?
Old 01-27-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I recorded it and watches the first 20 or 30 minutes, and that was the impression I got as well.
Old 01-27-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was obviously cobbled together quickly. I guess I just got caught up in the MTM clips and put up with the two ladies until the next clip came on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.