DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Sun Records (CMT) -- S: Chad Michael Murray -- Sam Phillips bio series -- 2/23/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638664-sun-records-cmt-s-chad-michael-murray-sam-phillips-bio-series-2-23-17-a.html)

DJariya 01-06-17 02:45 PM

Sun Records (CMT) -- S: Chad Michael Murray -- Sam Phillips bio series -- 2/23/17

1st trailer aired last night on the season premiere of Nashville:

About Sun Records:
Set in Memphis during the tumultuous early days of the civil rights movement, Sun Records tells the untold story of nothing less than the birth of rock ‘n’ roll. Guided by Sam Phillips, young musicians like Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis combined the styles of hillbilly country with the 1950s R&B sound created by artists like Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Fats Domino and Ike Turner, and changed the course of music forever. The series chronicles these young artists’ often jarring and sudden meteoric rise to fame in the face of sweeping political change and social unrest.

This sounds really interesting. I love music bios and they are showcasing a lot of really well known artists.

Superman07 01-06-17 09:53 PM

Re: Sun Records (CMT) -- S: Chad Michael Murray -- Sam Phillips bio series -- 2/23/17

Short trailer, but seems like CMM was playing same character from Agent Carter.

I wonder how much screen time the famous people will have.

DJariya 02-23-17 07:31 AM

Re: Sun Records (CMT) -- S: Chad Michael Murray -- Sam Phillips bio series -- 2/23/17

This premieres tonight on CMT

Don't know how much interest there is here for this, but I think seeing some iconic music legends portrayed in this show might be interesting.

mphtrilogy 02-23-17 09:34 AM

I'm going to record this and check it out..

DJariya 02-23-17 09:54 AM

For those who have no idea who Sam Phillips is and his significance, here's his Bio:

http://www.sunrecords.com/artists/sam-phillips

Samuel Cornelius Phillips (January 5, 1923 – July 30, 2003), better known as Sam Phillips, was an American record producer who played an important role in the emergence of rock and roll as the major form of popular music in the 1950s. He is most notably attributed with the discovery of Elvis Presley, and is associated with several other noteworthy rhythm and blues and rock and roll stars of the period.

He was a pretty significant person in the music industry and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986. He helped launch the career of Elvis and Johnny Cash.

I learned a little about Phillips when I took a history of Rock and Roll class while I was in college.

mphtrilogy 03-01-17 08:15 PM

I liked the first ep, really enjoy the subject matter

TerryW 04-07-17 07:35 PM

Anyone else watching this? Only one more episode left in this short first season. Started a little rocky but it's picking up. This is cast really well especially Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. I don't know how far they intend to go with this story. I imagine not long after Elvis moves on. Hope they can finish the story before cancellation.

mphtrilogy 04-07-17 08:03 PM

It has been really enjoyable, has it been renewed?

PhantomStranger 04-09-17 12:29 AM

I've enjoyed the entire season. Seeing a young Elvis and Johnny Cash in a drama has been neat.

I knew most of the Sam Phillips' story before seeing Sun Records and still like what the show has done.

DJariya 05-03-17 11:50 AM

http://deadline.com/2017/05/cmt-prog...re-1202081282/

CMT has decided to pass on a second season.

They said the ratings was good, but it was always designed to be a limited run.

mphtrilogy 05-03-17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13065187)
http://deadline.com/2017/05/cmt-prog...re-1202081282/

CMT has decided to pass on a second season.

They said the ratings was good, but it was always designed to be a limited run.

that sucks!

i've enjoyed the hell out of this one

darkdaze73 05-03-17 01:17 PM

Damn, another one of my shows prematurely bites the dust.

mh4268 05-03-17 02:06 PM

Wow, I thought for sure this was designed for 2-3 seasons. Stinks.

PhantomStranger 05-03-17 03:32 PM

It was definitely designed to be an ongoing series. There were many important moments in the Sun records' story they hadn't gotten to yet.

I'm guessing what CMT meant was that the show was expensive by the standards of CMT, and the ratings didn't justify another season.

These second-tier networks like gambling on one or two scripted shows per year but these programs are quickly becoming the new mini-series format.

Sonny Corinthos 05-04-17 08:07 AM

:( I hate to hear this. I really liked the show. There are so much more of the Sun Records story to tell. It's a shame it won't be told.

PhantomStranger 05-04-17 02:39 PM

I was hoping they would at least get to the famed million-dollar quartet recording session.