Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Originally Posted by slop101
Also, was that the first time they said "fuck" on the show?
Not sure how editing goes when airing on FX. But there was an episode where Dennis says fuck ... a lot. I think it was the Christmas episode with Frank's business partner.
Old 02-10-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Not sure how editing goes when airing on FX. But there was an episode where Dennis says fuck ... a lot. I think it was the Christmas episode with Frank's business partner.
That was A Very Sunny Christmas, Did they actually air that one uncensored? (Minus the "did you fuck sex my mom?"), It was originally released straight-to-DVD and then set to air a few months later.
Old 02-10-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

My coworkers and I took our morning work break by going to the convenience store, since they like to purchase lottery tickets.

Totally reminded me of this latest episode, since the walk to the store usually consists of avoiding dog shit on the sidewalk.

Naturally I would step in it...I mean, no I wouldn't haha
Old 02-10-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I still love that the foot that Charlie kicked Mac with was the one with dog shit on it as he had that big dog shit footprint on his shirt!
Old 02-10-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode. I love how they danced around anyone saying the N word just a couple of episodes ago and then just had Charlie drop it here.

One annoying part was Mac retelling the myth of the origin of using faggot as a pejorative. Of course Mac's an idiot who spouts nonsense all the time but that little speech was obviously meant to be taken seriously.
Old 02-10-17, 07:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Fantastic episode this week. The bike reveal was priceless. this season has been such an unexpected surprise.
Old 02-10-17, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Woah - I think that was the first time I heard the C-word on non-pay TV. Also, was that the first time they said "fuck" on the show?
It was actually said on last week's show. DeVito was getting out of the cab and told a random girl she had a nice dumper and she replied "Fuck off, creep."

The really funny part is that it was censored in the captioning.
Old 02-11-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
It was actually said on last week's show. DeVito was getting out of the cab and told a random girl she had a nice dumper and she replied "Fuck off, creep."

The really funny part is that it was censored in the captioning.
I noticed that as well. Really weird.
Old 02-16-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Another solid episode, and this time with most of the episode spent in the bar. The reveal with Dee at the end was great.
Old 02-16-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

A swing and a miss for me.

I liked that they were back to basics... back at the bar and there was a typical Sunny "let's be xxxx" story line (ala Dennis becoming a stripper)... but most of the episode fell flat for me.
Old 02-16-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy shit that was a dark but hilarious episode. Dee's plan and her reaction at the end of the episode was
Old 02-16-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Holy shit that was a dark but hilarious episode. Dee's plan and her reaction at the end of the episode was
Reminded me of Cartman's plan in Scott Tenorman Must Die.
Old 02-16-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know we shouldn't laugh but Frank blowing away women and children was That is the genius of the show in today's PC landscape.
Old 02-16-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know we shouldn't laugh but Frank blowing away women and children was That is the genius of the show in today's PC landscape.
What PC landscape the President thinks all black people know each other and Synogogue bombings are ok because middle America loves them it was funny because it was funny
Old 02-16-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
What PC landscape the President thinks all black people know each other and Synogogue bombings are ok because middle America loves them it was funny because it was funny
No, I'm not talking about Trump as I didn't mean the political landscape. I'm talking about the PC Police and comedy for the past 20 years and how everyone is afraid to do anything offensive anymore or you will get called out and forced to apologize.

It's Always Sunny doesn't give a shit and breaks every taboo these days and doesn't apologize for anything.
Old 02-16-17, 11:30 PM

No, I'm not talking about Trump as I didn't mean the political landscape. I'm talking about the PC Police and comedy for the past 20 years and how everyone is afraid to do anything offensive anymore or you will get called out and forced to apologize.

It's Always Sunny doesn't give a shit and breaks every taboo these days and doesn't apologize for anything.
Sorry you feel comedy has suffered the last 20 years I've noticed the number of people comfortable joking about me dying in an oven on Twitter is at an all time high that'll show the PC police
Old 02-17-17, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry you feel comedy has suffered the last 20 years I've noticed the number of people comfortable joking about me dying in an oven on Twitter is at an all time high that'll show the PC police
Oh come on, are we going to talk about some idiots on social media or comedians in general?
Yes, there are idiots on Twitter who say nasty shit everyday. But I honestly think people on social media are the least funny because they aren't comedians.

I'm talking about comedy in movies, TV shows, Standup Comedy, etc, as the landscape has changed in the past 20 years. The reason shows like 'It's Always Sunny' and 'SouthPark' have such dedicated fanbases because nobody dares to even go down the road they take anymore so they stick out, unlike 20-25 years ago.

George Carlin was ahead of his time with this bit on Political Correctness:
Old 02-17-17, 08:20 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this season, after quite a few lackluster ones has been absolute gold.
Old 02-17-17, 08:40 AM

Oh come on, are we going to talk about some idiots on social media or comedians in general?
Yes, there are idiots on Twitter who say nasty shit everyday. But I honestly think people on social media are the least funny because they aren't comedians.

I'm talking about comedy in movies, TV shows, Standup Comedy, etc, as the landscape has changed in the past 20 years. The reason shows like 'It's Always Sunny' and 'SouthPark' have such dedicated fanbases because nobody dares to even go down the road they take anymore so they stick out, unlike 20-25 years ago.

George Carlin was ahead of his time with this bit on Political Correctness
Jeselnick had a Comedy Central show where he had a 911 babies sketch, where he fed the babies with "Here comes the airplane" and then the babies exploded, maybe 2 years ago. At the beginning of Delirious Eddie Murphy says he jumps off an elevator because f**gots got on. I'm blanking on what Louis CK said in an SNL monologue that was super non PC but it was great. If you're a talented comedian you make jokes not excuses. I'm you're George Lopez and someone throws up the middle finger when you say your kids can't date black people you throw the person out of your show and point and call them the PC police.
Old 02-17-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a perfect example of the PC Police that didn't exist 25 years ago:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...89okdpivsra4i&
Old 02-17-17, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a perfect example of the PC Police that didn't exist 25 years ago:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...89okdpivsra4i&
PC Police vs. Social Justice Warriors, Twitter (and Social Media in general) was a boon for that. But I actually disagree about it being worse, there are some shows that get a pass due to their target audience (Family Guy, South Park, American Dad, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc; ) and they get away with far more than any shows from the 80s or 90s did. This is keeping in mind that Married with Children and The Simpsons were once considered some of the filthiest shows on TV.

I don't think that much has changed, to be entirely honest, people just have a method to call stuff they disapprove of out. And it becomes a big deal for a minute, and then fades into the background.

There are a couple subjects now people are extremely sensitive about, primarily sexism and homophobia, and even those subjects are open for comedic scrutiny.
Old 02-17-17, 08:58 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

If you're a talented comedian you make jokes not excuses. I'm you're George Lopez and someone throws up the middle finger when you say your kids can't date black people you throw the person out of your show and point and call them the PC police.
Not to get too off topic...

This is a genuine question... Are you saying you don't agree with how George Lopez handled it? You're saying it would be better to have ignored the middle finger and just keep telling jokes? Again, I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying make sure I understand what you're saying.

My perspective on it was that a lot of comedians are just fed up with people reacting to things at their shows when things are "offensive" to the audience member. You're at a comedy show, if you don't like what is being said, either be quite or leave. IMO, a good comedian takes the offensive and makes it comedic so the audiences finds it relatable and can give you new understanding of things, break barriers, etc.. This is why I love guys like Louis CK, Carlin, Rock, Chappelle.

Last edited by dex14; 02-17-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You weren't asking me but I think Lopez overreacted, stand-up relies on audience feedback, be it laughter, booing or, in this case, hand gestures.

The girl that got kicked out commented she wasn't offended, it was more a goofy "Man, fuck you" type deal. But Lopez wouldn't know that from stage, and I feel he got a little too sensitive to a response to his comment, he should have played it up and tore into her like good comedians do. Now if she was causing an actual disturbance, then it's totally understandable.

Of course I didn't actually see the clip
Old 02-17-17, 09:11 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I hadn't seen that she responded in a clip. I'll check that out.
Old 02-17-17, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do people actually pay to see George Lopez? lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.