Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Old 02-17-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Not to get too off topic...

This is a genuine question... Are you saying you don't agree with how George Lopez handled it? You're saying it would be better to have ignored the middle finger and just keep telling jokes? Again, I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying make sure I understand what you're saying.

My perspective on it was that a lot of comedians are just fed up with people reacting to things at their shows when things are "offensive" to the audience member. You're at a comedy show, if you don't like what is being said, either be quite or leave. IMO, a good comedian takes the offensive and makes it comedic so the audiences finds it relatable and can give you new understanding of things, break barriers, etc.. This is why I love guys like Louis CK, Carlin, Rock, Chappelle.
I think it's inappropriate to throw a paying audience member out of a show for making a visceral reaction to a joke meant to offend. Make jokes at the person's expense like Chappelle does effortlessly or say they can leave like Schumer, by throwing her out Lopez is the snowflake.

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
This is a perfect example of the PC Police that didn't exist 25 years ago:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...89okdpivsra4i&
I find this trend to be more a product of the limitless desire for content for blogs and social media. I'm offended by commercials for Kevin James and Matt Leblancs shows, it's like the moral is always gender roles and let the man be a complete moron. Again maybe it's because of the demand for content they put shows on the air with lowest denominator humor.

I think anything funny is in bounds. The Don't take away c*nt it's great when you want to make a woman feel small from last week, that's just a great joke, who could find that non PC?

Last edited by cleaver; 02-17-17 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX) -- Season 12 Thread -- premieres 1/4/16

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
PC Police vs. Social Justice Warriors, Twitter (and Social Media in general) was a boon for that. But I actually disagree about it being worse, there are some shows that get a pass due to their target audience (Family Guy, South Park, American Dad, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc; ) and they get away with far more than any shows from the 80s or 90s did. This is keeping in mind that Married with Children and The Simpsons were once considered some of the filthiest shows on TV.

Look at most of the shows you named: Animated Characters. It seems the way to get around the PC police is having an animated character like someone in South Park or The Movie 'Ted' where a Teddy Bear talks non-PC. Even the characters in It's Always Sunny are so out there and not anywhere remotely normal that they can probably get away with it.

But you would never see a major sitcom on NBC or ABC with real actors talking about gays, transgenders, etc, as they will get whacked by the PC Police.

That's the difference between now and 20-30 years ago. Archie Bunker was on CBS in Primetime, The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son were on in Primetime, and both said the 'N' word too, as now it would get beeped. (Not sure when they started beeping the 'N' word, probably the 90's?)

I remember and episode of Sanford & Son from the 70's where Lamont was going to court for a traffic ticket and Fred was complaining to the Judge that the White Cop was a racist. He said, "You have so many N***ers in this courtroom, you could make a Tarzan movie!"

You would NEVER see that on a major network today.
Old 02-17-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts

You have to take things case by case - blanket descriptors are no good. Basically, I find people who complain about things being "too PC", just want carte blanche to be assholes. If you're not being mean or trying to hurt someone's feelings, who fucking cares what you say. IOW, replace "being politically correct" with "not being an asshole", and you'll get the idea.
A comedian making a joke could go either way, so you have to take those in a case by case basis.

Getting back to the thread...

It was subtle, but I really liked Dennis at the end who was visibly impressed by what Dee did. Pretty good character moment.
Old 02-17-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

It was subtle, but I really liked Dennis at the end who was visibly impressed by what Dee did. Pretty good character moment.
And Mac's PTSD dreams were classic.
Old 02-17-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Holy shit that was a dark but hilarious episode. Dee's plan and her reaction at the end of the episode was
totally!
Old 02-17-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After last week's A+, I'd give this one more of a C+.

I liked Dennis and Charles daddy/boy banter, plus Dennis's denial of being abused, but the payoff on stage at the end lost me. I got what they were going for, but it just didn't work for me. Similarly I saw Dees plan soon after she said she was going to reunite him with his daughter, which seemed kind of out of place otherwise. I even suspected it was the blonde because she seemed to stand out in the audience. However, I still thought the reveal and Dee's ranting was funny.
Old 02-17-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Look at most of the shows you named: Animated Characters. It seems the way to get around the PC police is having an animated character like someone in South Park or The Movie 'Ted' where a Teddy Bear talks non-PC. Even the characters in It's Always Sunny are so out there and not anywhere remotely normal that they can probably get away with it.

But you would never see a major sitcom on NBC or ABC with real actors talking about gays, transgenders, etc, as they will get whacked by the PC Police.

That's the difference between now and 20-30 years ago. Archie Bunker was on CBS in Primetime, The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son were on in Primetime, and both said the 'N' word too, as now it would get beeped. (Not sure when they started beeping the 'N' word, probably the 90's?)

I remember and episode of Sanford & Son from the 70's where Lamont was going to court for a traffic ticket and Fred was complaining to the Judge that the White Cop was a racist. He said, "You have so many N***ers in this courtroom, you could make a Tarzan movie!"

You would NEVER see that on a major network today.
It wouldn't be funny today because casual racism from cops isn't funny after you watch video of three 20-something black guys get shot at close range without provocation the same week with zero repercussions for the cops. Now is that political correctness or having empathy for people who know there's a decent chance their children will have guns drawn on them by people in authority for no reason?
Old 02-18-17, 10:12 AM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Lets just try and stay on topic for the show. Plenty of topics about this in Other. Not sure if there is comedy/free speech/PC one though. Maybe someone can start one. Thanks.
Old 02-22-17, 06:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

This season -Just gets better and better with each episode.

Loved the reveal at the end of this, and yes Dennis' admiration was awesome.
Old 02-22-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

What do you mean, reveal?

The gift for Dennis?
Old 02-24-17, 01:13 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I was an episode behind when I posted that. The stripper reveal from the previous episode.

this one was the weakest so far for me of the season.
Old 02-25-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have loved episode this season, but the Valentines Day episode just didn't work for me. This show has the ability to make me piss my pants when it is rolling on all cylinders, but when it's a bad episode, I rarely laugh. Oh well, still a great season for this long into its run.
Old 02-25-17, 02:27 PM

I loved the Valentine's episode.
Old 02-25-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts

It had some solid laughs, but the Valentine's episode was the weakest of this season so far.
Old 03-08-17, 08:46 PM

I'm not sure what is in store for tonight's finale but...

Glenn Howerton May Not Return to ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ (Exclusive)
http://www.thewrap.com/glenn-howerto...hia-exclusive/

Keep in mind the show is already renewed through Season 14. Howerton did just sign up for a pilot. But Kaitlin Olsen seems to be making it work with The Mick.
Old 03-08-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

I wouldn't put it past this show to do literally anything.
Old 03-09-17, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glenn Howerton May Not Return to ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ (Exclusive)

Well the cliffhanger leaves them the option to nix Dennis' character from the show. I don't think the show would be the same without all of the main characters, as it wouldn't feel right without one of them.

Still love Dennis bleeding before he gets shot at the end.
Old 03-09-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 233 Posts

Well the cliffhanger leaves them the option to nix Dennis' character from the show. I don't think the show would be the same without all of the main characters, as it wouldn't feel right without one of them.
While I do like his inclusion in the series, I think the show would still function well if Frank left. The rest of the characters are mandatory IMO.

Are we sure this isn't the final season? The storylines seem to be what you would expect from a final season.

- Mac finally coming out
- Dennis has a kid and is apparently leaving the show (I guess?)
- Charlie finally banging the waitress
- an episode dedicated to Cricket along with some backstory
- many call-backs to previous seasons

It feels like they're trying to wrap everything up.
Old 03-09-17, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
While I do like his inclusion in the series, I think the show would still function well if Frank left. The rest of the characters are mandatory IMO.

Are we sure this isn't the final season? The storylines seem to be what you would expect from a final season.

- Mac finally coming out
- Dennis has a kid and is apparently leaving the show (I guess?)
- Charlie finally banging the waitress
- an episode dedicated to Cricket along with some backstory
- many call-backs to previous seasons

It feels like they're trying to wrap everything up.
Last night definitely could've serviced as a series finale. But it has been renewed for two more seasons, and it was a big deal when it was. Howerton will be getting paid as a producer regardless of acting on the show. If he wants to take a break from the role after 12 seasons, it is understandable.
Old 03-09-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the show falls apart without Dennis. I hope he comes back.
Old 03-09-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post
I think the show falls apart without Dennis. I hope he comes back.
He's the only who tries to be normal (or tries to act normal in his own way) to offset the other characters when they are acting crazy, even though he is probably the most creepy/pyschotic character on the show.
Old 03-10-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I had no idea that was the season finale. This show seems to go so fast through their seasons. I agree that the show would suffer without Dennis, but this show has continued to surprise me, so if anyone could make it work it would be this group.
Old 03-10-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind the show is already renewed through Season 14. Howerton did just sign up for a pilot. But Kaitlin Olsen seems to be making it work with The Mick.
If Kaitlin or Charlie left it would be understandable. As both are getting work outside the show. But I always thought Glenn and Mac's entire careers were the show.
Old 03-10-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Howerton doesnt need the show. He's rich from his ER royalties
Old 03-10-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Make Season 13 a road trip to get Dennis back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.