Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Potential reboots of All in the Family,The Jeffersons,Maude,Good Times in the works

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Potential reboots of All in the Family,The Jeffersons,Maude,Good Times in the works

Old 12-19-16, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Potential reboots of All in the Family,The Jeffersons,Maude,Good Times in the wor

Still waiting for a MacGyver reboot.
Old 12-19-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Potential reboots of All in the Family,The Jeffersons,Maude,Good Times in the wor

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
In that case, you can keep your mouth closed (to avoid the throat-shoving, not opinion having) and not watch. Stop expecting the world to conform to your needs.
Ok chief, since you seem to be the expert on throat shoving.
Old 12-19-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Still waiting for a MacGyver reboot.
I don't know if you are kidding or not but it's on CBS on Friday. Pete's a women now, Jack's ex Special Forces, Mac's got a black bff and there's a hot hacker girl of undetermined ethnicity to round things out. If the new Pete is gay they will have all bases covered. It's still not a good show.
Old 12-19-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I don't know if you are kidding or not but it's on CBS on Friday. Pete's a women now, Jack's ex Special Forces, Mac's got a black bff and there's a hot hacker girl of undetermined ethnicity to round things out. If the new Pete is gay they will have all bases covered. It's still not a good show.
(On a tangent).

In spite of the revived MacGyver being really dumb, for some strange reason I like this style of silliness.

In contrast, I find the silliness on Scorpion and Under The Dome to be really annoying and grating.

I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly, why exactly this is the case for me.
Old 12-19-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Ok chief, since you seem to be the expert on throat shoving.
I have been burned, good sir. Allow me to retreat to my safe space where no one forces me to watch remakes. I call it reality.
Old 12-19-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I don't know how they expect these reboots to work without strong casting choices like Carroll O'Connor or Shermen Hemsley. The writing was great, but those actors made the shows iconic. You can't just throw "today's stars" in there and expect them to work.
The obvious terrible idea and creative laziness involved in considering the remaking of these shows aside, All in the Family and The Jeffersons were fantastic but were largely carried by the brilliance of O'Connor and Hemsly. Any time they weren't on screen the shows suffered.

Maude and Good Times were more innovative than good. What taboos and boundaries would they be pushing against that aren't already explored within shows on one of hundreds of networks and other outlets?

Most shocking of all is that people are collecting sizeable paychecks to eat at insanely expensive restaurants and discuss these hairbrained notions.
Old 12-20-16, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
No my feeling aren't hurt. I am just sick of having minorities shoved down my throat when it isn't necessary.
I think we just found our new Archie Bunker right here. Lol
Old 12-23-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

You can add The Honeymooners to the reboot mix:

From nypost.com:

Why rebooting ‘The Honeymooners’ is a crappy idea
By Michael Starr

So here we go again, from the sublime to the ridiculous — TV style.

Just as we’re getting psyched for WPIX/Ch. 11’s annual New Year’s Eve marathon of “The Honeymooners,” falling on the 60th anniversary of its swan song, comes word that CBS will reboot the series.

Somewhere, Ralph Kramden hears this news — face contorting, eyes popping — bellows like a stricken cow and pirouettes into one of his fainting swoons.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: why try to replicate any show that was nearly perfect — particularly a series like “The Honeymooners,” one of the best sitcoms in American TV history? I’m referring to the “Classic 39” episodes, which aired from 1955-56 on CBS, headlined by Jackie Gleason — “With the stars Art Carney, Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph.” It was Gleason’s decision to turn this recurring sketch on his TV variety show into a standalone series — and his decision to pull the plug after one magical season, perhaps sensing it would be folly to try catching lightning in a second bottle.

(OK, so the show’s ratings trailed off in Season 1 before it found new life in syndication. But still.)

Sure, Gleason reprised Ralph, Alice, Ed and Trixie on his ’60s-era (color) variety show — with Sheila MacRae and Jane Kean as Alice and Trixie — but those were tepid musical “Honeymooners” sketches which paled (despite Carney’s return) to the original “Classic 39.” Ditto for those mid-to-late ’70s “Honeymooners” specials on ABC, on which Gleason and Carney played senior versions of Ralph and Ed: paint-by-numbers knockoffs of the original masterpiece.

So what’s the point in trying this exercise again?

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the new version of “The Honeymooners” will encompass two couples — best friends and neighbors à la Ralph, Alice, Ed and Trixie — who deal with a new dynamic when one of the couples remarries after a four-year divorce. And did I mention that it’s being developed by the same guy who tried (and failed) to remake “The Muppets” for ABC?

That’s wrong on so many levels.

Maybe the show will be terrific. Maybe, like its black-and-white predecessor, it will have a top-notch cast that gels nicely into a cohesive comedy unit. Maybe, as Art Carney’s biographer, I’m just too picky about (and protective of) the original series. But do you remember the 2005 big-screen version of “The Honeymooners” starring Cedric the Entertainer (as Ralph) and Mike Epps (as Norton)? Neither does anyone else. That’s the point. Maybe you can, as they say, “re-imagine” a classic — but that’s usually show-biz shorthand for “We couldn’t think of anything new.”

And so it goes. Just days after “The Honeymooners” news came a report from Variety: Sony Pictures TV is in the “very early stages” of rebooting Norman Lear’s 1970s series “All in the Family,” “The Jeffersons” and “Good Times” into six-episode anthologies using new actors to recreate classic episodes of the originals. It’s not unprecedented; the BBC pulled this off with England’s legendary sitcom “Hancock’s Half Hour” (which premiered on British TV in 1956, just as “The Honeymooners” was ending its run).

That being said, I’m not so sure there are any classic episodes of either “The Jeffersons” or “Good Times.” But the brilliant “All in the Family” with anyone but Carroll O’Connor as Archie Bunker? Perish the thought.

Just wait until O’Connor, up in TV heaven, hears they’re remaking his iconic gem — and blows one of Archie’s trademark raspberries.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/23/why-reb...a-crappy-idea/
Old 12-23-16, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah no chance in hell anyone they'd potentially get would live up to Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker. Easily one of the most iconic characters in television history.