Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Millennials vs Gen-X (S33E14/15) -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion-- 12/14/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Millennials vs Gen-X (S33E14/15) -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion-- 12/14/16

Old 12-15-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: Survivor: Millennials vs Gen-X (S33E14/15) -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion-- 12/14/16

Originally Posted by windom
How could they have discussed his mom's cancer at Ponderosa? Jay was the only one who knew about it and from what he said to Adam at the final tribal, it sounded like Jay was still keeping Adam's secret.
When their loved ones visited, didn't he ask how his mom was doing? Wouldn't questions be asked? Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean others didn't know.
Old 12-15-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Survivor: Millennials vs Gen-X (S33E14/15) -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion-- 12/14/16

Just finished watching the final episode. Not surprised at Adam's victory, though I was shocked to see Ken didn't get any support. While Adam and others continued to push for David's elimination due to him being such a big threat, Adam managed to fly under the radar, when the same could have been said about him the whole time. It was also funny to hear Chris point out Adam's ability to manipulate Ken's vote of David, when the edit showed Adam seemed to be resolved it was coming down to a fire building contest.

Regarding the proposed candidates list for next time, I'm most disappointed to see Cirie's name pop up yet again.
Old 12-16-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
When their loved ones visited, didn't he ask how his mom was doing? Wouldn't questions be asked? Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean others didn't know.
I don't think the others could hear when Adam and his brother were talking about their mom. Why else would he have to explain the situation when answering David's question? Actually, Adam did tell Rob C. on his podcast that he also told Ken about his mother so that Ken wouldn't feel so bad about voting out David at final four.
Old 12-16-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Regarding the proposed candidates list for next time, I'm most disappointed to see Cirie's name pop up yet again.
Yes, 1000X yes.
Old 12-16-16, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
This season was a bunch of ineffectual goofballs making moves for the sake of making moves. Sucky season with a goodish finish that was too little too late. There just wasn't a single all around great competitor.
Maybe, but there were also no truly obnoxious players - so it made for a more enjoyable season. Next season looks loaded-up with obnoxious players...we'll have to see if any of them "redeem" themselves this time around.
Old 12-17-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much rather see Ozzy back than Cirie. That woman over stayed her welcome the second time she was on. Really can't stand Sandra, Tony, or Zeke either. But the rest seem like a great bunch.

I expected to see Ken be the only one left from his tribe. I wish it would have come down to Ken, Hannah and Bret. Maybe then the jury would have been split.

David, Ken, and Hannah seem to have more than just issues with anxiety. Could explain Jeff speaking to people differently this season.

Personally I found David and Zeke to be completely obnoxious. So glad neither of them made the final three. Couldn't wait for them to shut up during the reunion.
Old 12-17-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Personally I found David and Zeke to be completely obnoxious. So glad neither of them made the final three. Couldn't wait for them to shut up during the reunion.
Zeke bugged the crap out of me. I don't get the arrogance there at all.

Show this season also beat to death the "transformation" storyline with David/Hannah/Zeke. I didn't buy that at all. Someone like Hannah made it to the end because there were always bigger threats and people wanted her there as a goat. Didn't really see any actual transformations, just people getting cocky (Michaela was another) for being slightly less sucky than the others.

Yeah, Cirie is awful. Not looking forward to watching her again. But returning players are generally way way more interesting to watch - for me anyway - than these scrub newbies they've been casting lately.

Did Michelle do enough to get cast again? Probably not but would like to see her back.
Old 12-17-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Fucking Ozzy again next season?? He is officially the new Boston Rob... producers are going to keep bringing him back until he wins.
Ozzy
Old 12-17-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

OZZY RULES
Old 12-17-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Show this season also beat to death the "transformation" storyline with David/Hannah/Zeke. I didn't buy that at all. Someone like Hannah made it to the end because there were always bigger threats and people wanted her there as a goat. Didn't really see any actual transformations, just people getting cocky (Michaela was another) for being slightly less sucky than the others.
Of the three, I think Hannah actually did have the big transformation from a confidence standpoint. She was solid in that last tribal. In the end David and Zeke were still the same wussies that started the game. David was still even "oh no, water!" right up to that second to last challenge. And both of them were assholes right from the beginning. Especially in those "confessionals" one on ones with the camera. Kind of like real life Sheldon Coopers.

One of these days I hope they fill a season with all the past "challenge beasts" so we can see how they would do against each other. With they mix them up with people that can barely swim to a raft, they end up getting sent home by people that just sit on the beach and bitch. I enjoy watching people that can really excel against each other in these challenges they create. Lately we're lucky of even two or three can finish or go 5 minutes in the challenges that take the better players hours.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-17-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, Cirie is awful.
Are people mixing up Ciera and Cirie? Yeah Cirie probably doesn't need to be on a fourth time, but she is one of the best Survivor players.

Ciera is the one who Jeff can't mention without telling us that she voted out her mother.

Both are on the next season.
Old 12-18-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been saying this for years now, but I wish they would have a season where they brought back all the players that were voted out first in their season (just the regular seasons). I think that would be fun to watch.
Old 12-18-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Are people mixing up Ciera and Cirie? Yeah Cirie probably doesn't need to be on a fourth time, but she is one of the best Survivor players.
No mixing them up. Can't stand Cirie. She was kinda fun her first season, but it got old during the second go round.

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I've been saying this for years now, but I wish they would have a season where they brought back all the players that were voted out first in their season (just the regular seasons). I think that would be fun to watch.
That would definitely be the first season I skip.
Old 12-18-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
After the first few episodes this year, I never would have thought the season would have turned out to be this good.

There were so many memorable players (for the right reasons). Personally, I thought Hannah outperformed Adam at final tribal, but I think the deck was a little stacked against her, and Adam's bombshell made him hard to beat. Certainly he was also a deserving winner so I was happy for him.
I very much agree. I definitely thought that Hannah had a strong case, especially with Michelle's question on how many votes she was on the losing side of. Clearly some jurors, like Chris , had made up their minds and were more interested in their constructed narratives than reality. But Adam disclosing his mother's condition sealed the deal. I don't dislike him, and the final four was perfect for me, but I would have liked to have seen Hannah's game get more respect there.

As for the result and live show. I sympathize with Adam, and acknowledge that his story makes for a good story, but it dominated the narrative far more than I would have liked. Imo the winner should be the winner because they won, not because of their personal circumstances. I did really like that Jeff talked to 16 iirc of the contestants, but little of it was game talk. I was disappointed about that.

This next Season looks like it'll be among the toughest yet. For me, all of the people televised who are coming back range from a strong "meh" to "I can't stand them". Some of them are tremendous jerks (that I don't "love", even to hate), while others strike me as too stupid to ever have any respect for. And a good many that I just am completely burnt out on. A mixed bag with the rest of the list, a couple that I don't remember well that I believe I thought were sort of okay, but outside of probably JT there's no one I'm particularly looking forward to.
Old 12-18-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

I tend to forget almost all Survivor contestants as soon as the season ends. Unless they are on back to back seasons, I tend to not remember much about any of them.
Old 12-18-16, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Disappointing end to a very entertaining season. I honestly felt like Adam was exploiting a tragedy at the end there and that top 4 vote where he found the immunity idol reeked of producer bullshit. I was also surprised by the lack of support for Ken. Oh well.
Old 12-18-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517

Ciera is the one who Jeff can't mention without telling us that she voted out her mother.

Both are on the next season.
And Cirie is always the one who got off the couch.
Old 12-19-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Count me as another who is super disappointed that Cirie is coming back, I let out a very audible groan when they showed her. On the other hand, I am stoked about Ozzy coming back, always loved watching him play. Dude is an absolute beast, which unfortunately works against him big time.
Old 01-03-17, 07:55 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

... I'll just put this here. It's Survivor newsworthy: Dan Kay (age 40; Season 17 in Gabon) unexpectedly passes away December 31, 2016.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...00000183289986

Old 01-03-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Sorry to hear--40 is way too young. I don't remember him, though.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/21247/

Dan Kay (32)
Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts

Dan Kay has come a long way from his blue-collar roots in Boston. Born and raised in Walpole, Massachusetts, he was very involved in athletics, especially football, skiing and track. While in high school, Dan played on a varsity football team, which had a long tradition of winning, a tradition that has helped shape his strong work-ethic. He graduated from The University of Massachusetts, Amherst with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science & English and later would earn his law degree from Syracuse University College of Law where he was also a member of the Moot Court Honor Society.

Charismatic, hard working and goal oriented, most of Dan's traits were formed from the influence provided by his parents and a select few coaches and teachers. As a young boy, his father became disabled, leaving his mother to care for his family and, eventually, his ill grandmother, all while working as a full-time nurse. In addition, Dan credits his mother's work ethic and unselfish attitude for his strong desire to overcome any obstacles in his career and personal life.

Dan has practiced law in Boston for five years, which helped him to purchase several investment properties. However, dedicating so much of his time to his practice left him depressed and feeling less than fulfilled with his life. Prior to leaving for SURVIVOR, he sold off a number of investments and spent time away from his job, in an effort to focus more on himself and his friends and family. He believes this recent awareness, along with having an increased appreciation for the people in his life rather than material possessions, will help him succeed not only in his personal life, but on SURVIVOR.

Attractive, athletic, single and a lawyer, Dan is set to make a big impression on his competitors. Dan's hobbies include skiing, running, biking, weight training and cooking. Currently, he is training to compete in his first triathlon.

He is single and lives in Boston. His birthdate is June 30, 1976.
Old 01-03-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I don't remember Dan Kay at all and I watched that season. Granted it was 8 years ago when it aired.
Old 01-03-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that Dan was one of the people to arrive in a suit and tie (really?) and seemed to be a jerk most of the time. But sorry to see anybody go at such a young age.
Old 01-03-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I remember that Dan was one of the people to arrive in a suit and tie (really?)
The producers pick the outfits for contestants.
Old 01-03-17, 11:06 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

I remember that Randy (man I loved Randy) had a field day with Dan... he was always jittery.