Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The OA (Netflix) - creators: Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The OA (Netflix) - creators: Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij

I dont know about this. I keep waiting to be wowed, but Im just not sure. Everytime I think it's about to get there, we have things like that cafeteria scene. What is this? Westside Story?

The only thing I got from this is that if you hit a blind person hard enough in the head, they'll get their sight back.
Old 01-07-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Binged this on a long flight back from Europe - I liked it, but a little disappointed in the way it unfolded. I really liked the premise and the mystery of the OA, but by the 3rd episode -

Spoiler:
I didn't expect we'd spend ALL that time with them trapped in the cells. I really enjoyed the revelations of her childhood and how she got there, but I was hoping for much more when she was healed of her blindess and hoping to see much more about the other characters, both the ones she was trapped with and the ones she tells her story to.

Also not a fan of the end, but I like the bit of ambiguity of it and reading some of the theories about it. I'd watch a second season, but wouldn't be in a rush.
Old 01-09-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Loved it. We binged through this over the weekend, and I am still thinking about it. The use of Majical Cloudz 'Downtown' was just so fucking perfect it gave me chills.

I can see this being a very polarizing series - especially when it comes to the 'movements'.
I loved that entire concept of the five movements and the way it was executed, and it certainly could have been gone horribly wrong in terms of its presentation. I know a lot of folks found that element silly and laughable, but it worked for me.

Absolutely loved the series, the acting, the cinematography, the music. Just a fantastic trip from the start to finish, imo.
Old 01-09-17, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Loved it. We binged through this over the weekend, and I am still thinking about it. The use of Majical Cloudz 'Downtown' was just so fucking perfect it gave me chills.

I can see this being a very polarizing series - especially when it comes to the 'movements'.
I loved that entire concept of the five movements and the way it was executed, and it certainly could have been gone horribly wrong in terms of its presentation. I know a lot of folks found that element silly and laughable, but it worked for me.

Absolutely loved the series, the acting, the cinematography, the music. Just a fantastic trip from the start to finish, imo.
It's interesting that there's been discussion of the arts response to our soon to be demagogue-in-chief. Here art (the feminine-centric dance) is used to reduce the power of a fascist (the doctor) and a monster (the shooter.)
Old 01-24-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Finished last night... I don't know what to make of it other than I'd prefer a second season to help clarify some things. I don't mind an open plot -- but that was... just... umm. If it stood on it's own as a one season thing, I hated it. If there is more to the story, I'll give it a pass.

The movements were ridiculous... I can't envision those movements being one of Angels trying to heal somebody.
Old 01-26-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

3 episodes in...WTF am I watching??? It really took a turn there and I have no idea where it may be going at this point. BUT it is fascinating and I must finish it.

I have avoided most posts here so not catch any major spoilers. I am intrigued to see what the reactions are after I finish it.
Old 01-26-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

For a show that came out of nowhere and had minimal advertising, I'm actually impressed with how much real life conversation I've had about it.
Old 01-26-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a polarizing show. If you watch it you have to talk about it.

What movie do you recommend to watch first from the creator?
Old 01-26-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

I would recommend "The sound of my voice"..... BUT; this movie like "The OA" ultimately leaves you in a place where you may feel like more story needs to be told, and in the case of this movie a sequel will probably never get made.

Maybe that's a good thing though.

"Another Earth" was good, but didn't leave me thinking about it as much as "The sound of my voice". "The East" was pretty good, but I didn't feel it was as memorable as the others.
Old 01-27-17, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3

Watch them in order. AE, SOMV and The East. Best in order: SOMV, AE and then The East. For more thoughtful SF watch Shane Carruth's Primer and Upstream Color.
Old 01-27-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Andy and Astrofan!
Old 01-28-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Finished it. Still digesting it. I liked it and would watch another season but I doubt we will get one. It seems everything was left the way it was for us to interpret for ourselves. Not that it is a bad thing but yea this was out there...
Old 01-28-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Finished it. Still digesting it. I liked it and would watch another season but I doubt we will get one. It seems everything was left the way it was for us to interpret for ourselves. Not that it is a bad thing but yea this was out there...
The creator and writers of the series said they'd love to do another season or two, but it's up to Netflix at this point. It has been really popular so I don't think they'd can it, but who knows.
Old 02-08-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Renewed: http://deadline.com/2017/02/the-oa-renewed-season-2-netflix-brit-marling-1201904857/

Last edited by RichC2; 02-08-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool

A season based around trying to find the other prisoners could be really good
Old 02-08-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I agree.

Excellent news!
Old 02-09-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

will most definitely watch season 2!
Old 03-22-17, 03:14 PM

I really liked it. The trained TV viewer in me wanted a more "regular" conclusion, but after some time I appreciate that the show that was truly different and unpredictable.

With some practice and flexible friends, this could make for a great group Halloween costume.
Old 04-09-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I have no idea why I finished this. It's basically two good ideas surrounded by two dozen bad ones and a bunch of indie hipster hyperbole. Poorly paced, poorly written, badly cast, plot holes the size of the Grand Canyon and a very unsatisfying finale.
That's kind of how I feel. I made it to the end but didn't enjoy much of it and found it hard to care about the characters. They all do stupid things. Didn't care for the ending at all.
I have never seen Marling before but I didn't connect with her character - she was distant and detached. Just not very interesting to me.

Plus the bit with the sheriff in the finale was completely absurd.
Old 04-09-17, 02:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Never heard of this show but just noticed in my Netflix history that my teenage daughter is watching it. Should I be concerned?
Old 04-09-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Never heard of this show but just noticed in my Netflix history that my teenage daughter is watching it. Should I be concerned?
Nah, there's very little sex and nudity. Some Menace and danger but no graphic violence. I think it would be okay for an older teenager. But it kinda sucks.
Old 04-09-17, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Nah, there's very little sex and nudity. Some Menace and danger but no graphic violence. I think it would be okay for an older teenager. But it kinda sucks.
Thanks Decker. The premise of the show sounds interesting and up my alley, but based on the comments here I'll probably never get to it.

And to briefly continue my mostly off-topic aside, it was just weird to see this and another mature rated show in my daughter's viewing history. She mostly still watches Disney stuff actually. The other show is 13 Reasons Why if anyone has an appropriateness for young girls comment.
Old 04-09-17, 04:35 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks Decker. The premise of the show sounds interesting and up my alley, but based on the comments here I'll probably never get to it.

And to briefly continue my mostly off-topic aside, it was just weird to see this and another mature rated show in my daughter's viewing history. She mostly still watches Disney stuff actually. The other show is 13 Reasons Why if anyone has an appropriateness for young girls comment.
There is a lot of language in 13 Reasons Why.
Spoiler:
Then two rapes and a graphic suicide.
But the topics the show addresses are important for teen girls, IMO. Might be of value to check it out as a parent or even watch together.

Last edited by dex14; 04-09-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There is a lot of language in 13 Reasons Why.
Spoiler:
Then two rapes and a graphic suicide.
But the topics the show addresses are important for teen girls, IMO. Might be of value to check it out as a parent or even watch together.
Why do I feel that's a spoiler...

Last edited by dex14; 04-09-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 05:19 PM

Thanks Dex. Sounds like something for my wife and I to discuss and then maybe watch with her. Ugh, why can't she stay 8 years old forever?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.